1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Painting Groundwork Supplies?

Discussion in 'Painting Techniques' started by magister militum, Mar 11, 2009.

1. magister militum New Member

United-States
    Hi all. I tried painting some small white flowers with acrylics the other day and the results were a mess. What can I use to paint natural foliage? Or is there some trick with acrylics?
  2. Jamie Stokes Well-Known Member

Australia
    Hi
    would help to diagnose if we knew a bit more about materials used
    - were the flowers natural product (it seems to read like that) or paper product, or photo etch/ brass?
    - Brand of paints, type of brush used?
    - perhaps a photo too (challenging,I know, in such a small product)

more info will help us come to a more helpful solution quicker

cheers
  3. magister militum New Member

United-States
    Thanks! I tried to paint on of these guys from Diorama Materials.

[IMG]

I used vallejo acrylics with my trusty series 7. Even with thinned paint the results came out goopy and un-natural looking.
  4. rusty nail Active Member

United-States
    Do you have an airbrush, I have had success before using them on my grond work.
  5. magister militum New Member

United-States
    No but I should get one! I had a brief interest in painting garage kits and armor. So I'll be getting one soon. Can you recommend one by the way? One that would be suitable for figures and armor kits?
  6. Jamie Stokes Well-Known Member

Australia
    I agree with rusty - Airbrush will give better results.

thinner coats of paint, and with practice, smoother paint grades.

It is, however, a tool that demands practice and patience to get good results.

see this link http://www.planetfigure.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28555&highlight=airbrush for a review on airbrushing DVD. takes a lot of the 'tear your hair out' away.

The thinking is that a airbrush will lay down very thin coats, with good coverage.

As for what to buy, well, like anything, what are you willing to spend, balanced against your use?

cheers

PS - scale of kits, both armour and figures, will be a factor too. some hobby sites have reviews of many airbrushes. what other sites would you search for this?