1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Painting General of Division D'Hautpoul

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by ACCOUNT_DELETED, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Nap Moderator

England
    Colin ,

My goodness this looks great , love he painting of the lacework ..a really tremendous piece and thread to follow..be interested how the curiass goes (I currently have a cuirass to do on the bench ..a conversion of Elan 13 Old Major bust)

Wish this was a commercial piece though ..love your work a very distinctive style and it showsthat you really enjoy the modelling as well .

Nap
    crf likes this.
  2. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks Colin....good of you. Your ice storm winnings i assume?

Thanks Nap...I have to test the rub n buff more. One thing that occurs to me is to question longevity and durability of finish over many years in various weather conditions as it's a wax-based product. Also I need to see how it takes washes of inks etc as I am trying to replicate polished steel as worn in the field on occasion, not mess silver.

Colin
    Wings5797 likes this.
  3. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    You assume correctly, sir. ;)
    Got something positiveout of that shitstorm :smug:

Colin
    crf likes this.
  4. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Super stuff in every way.
    crf likes this.
  5. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Here are the base metallics on his helmet. Silver leaf rub 'n buff (thank you Sturmgrenadier!) for the cap and Sargent's brass for the comb. These are just undercoats. I will use inks, and for the comb, chin scales and plume holder, other lighter golds. The rub 'n buff is a mix of carnauba wax and fine grind metallic powders. Very hard to source over the counter in Canada but I am very glad I persisted.

Colin

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
    Borek, Lasalle, storm_zh and 4 others like this.
  6. John Ballard Well-Known Member

Colin
    Nice job on the metallic. I wondered how the rub n buff would work and I still wonder how the overpainting will hold up given that it is a wax base. I'm sure you'll produce something great whatever the medium.
    John
    crf likes this.
  7. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Worst case it's easy to take off.....I think!?!?

Thanks

Colin
  8. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    John had it. The rub 'n buff created an excellent silver finish but I was looking for steel. Ink washes pill on it due to the wax. Perhaps oil based glazes would work better. You certainly can't beat it for putting a polished metal finish down on paint. Also, it might have been better had I been able to find steel shade locally...I could only find silver leaf.

So I over painted with Sargent's excellent silver and inks now work. The Sargent's paints are very inexpensive and IMO are better than any modelling metallic I gave seen.

A blend of diluted blue, black and sepia is used on the steel...more to come. Started highlighting the gold metallic with gold paint (on base of brass)....washes of sepia ink applied to raise the detail and age the metal.

Colin

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
    Borek, Lasalle, Aveleira and 9 others like this.
  9. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Hi Colin,
    Looking fantastic, as I said my first take was to not paint.........I humbly retract that statement.
    The base colours on the metallics look fine. I cannot offer anything on the behaviour of rub n buff but hope that you can build up the depth with jnks etc without detriment to the base coat.
    Your latest photos really show the flesh tones very well. I like the subtle tone changes you have achieved here Mate. excellent.
    Great work with super results.
    Keith
    crf likes this.
  10. Sturm Grenadier Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hello Colin, Your metallics are looking great. Glad to here you had some success with the rub n' buff. The pewter color probably would have gave you the worn field look to the helmet and armor your looking to portray. When I used to use rub n' buff on my armor models, I would add enamel blacks, greys, browns, and sometimes blues, to the silver leaf color. It helps tone down the bright silver, giving a more worn look to the metal. It made metal track links with raised detail, edges on steel roadwheels, and worn effects on tools, very realistic. Maybe tone it down a bit. And as far as it holding up, It never changed on my models, some are over 20 years old. Following your great thread. Regards, SG:)(y)(y)
    crf and tiberius57 like this.
  11. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    Cracking job, my friend! Looks great so far! Looking forward to see this beauty!
    Cheers mate,
    Zeno

Did you mixed the enamels with the rub n' buff? Or you applied the rub n' buff first and worked with enamels after?
    Thanks SG!
    Cheers,
    Zeno
    crf likes this.
  12. Sturm Grenadier Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hello Zeno, I mixed the rub n' buff with the enamels, and applied it with a brush. I then used a dry brush to buff it to the sheen I wanted. Humbrol satin enamels worked best for me. Regards, SG
    crf, tiberius57 and Wings5797 like this.
  13. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    A little more progress today. Haven't been at him in week or so due to work. But this week should be better. Some more shading on the cuirass lining, some more inks on his helmet, under work on plume and epaulettes, more work on the fur helmet band and roughed in the horse hail mane. Still not done his face.

Colin

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
  14. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    crf likes this.
  15. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom

Taking shape nicely Colin .

Used rub and buff in my former modelling life ,still have some but it is over 25years old and a bit dried up now ; alas no longer available here.

Ron
    crf likes this.
  16. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Progress on cuirass lining trim.

Borek, Lasalle, Wings5797 and 5 others like this.
  17. Tonton Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Phew! Museum quality!

Jeff
    crf likes this.
  18. John Ballard Well-Known Member

No shakey hands there Colin, very nicely done.
    John
    crf likes this.
  19. Ferris A Fixture

Just caught up with your thread...excellent work this one.
    Must be quite a struggle, decent metallics at this scale. So far so good anyway!

Cheers,
    Adrian
    crf likes this.
  20. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks gents. Undercoated the cuirass with GW middle stone grey; added chin ties; epaulettes well underway; plume has a layer of highlighting (one more to come). Arms need better paint and dull coat.

Colin