1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Painting General of Division D'Hautpoul

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by ACCOUNT_DELETED, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Colin,
    I totally agree about the facial expression the painting just lifts the sculpting work to another level.(y) I can't wait to see when he starts painting that 1:1 Ray Winstone figure what the facial expression will be.:rolleyes:
    crf and ChaosCossack like this.
  2. swralph A Fixture

face is looking nice(y)
  3. zodiac Active Member

Zodiac- If I was doing a commercial pattern I would take your advice. But this is a piece 100% from sculpey for my own pleasure. Actually, the precision required in making figures for market is the major reason I don't do commercial work. Too much like IPMS rivet counting for my liking. Thanks for the tip though.

Colin[/quote]
    Hi there,
    I was just passing on something that I learned, I used to roll milliput 'string' and could never get it even and the slightest nudge would be back to the beginning. Sorry you see it as IPMS rivet counting. To each his own I guess. It does look good, well done.
  4. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Zodiac- I hope I didn't come across as ungrateful. I am not one for attaching finicky bits of metal. I never use wire for braiding or photoetch. But I guess I did break down and use nails so the model isn't all sculpey after all. Thanks for your idea. I will keep it in mind if I have another go at armour. I appreciate your kind words on the bust.

Colin
  5. Sturm Grenadier Well-Known Member

United-States
    aac763-ch.jpg Hello Colin, Here is a sample of colors from rub-n-buff. Both the Pewter, and Silver Leaf, are good choices. It would depend on what kind of surface sheen your looking for on the Cuirass and Helmet. All these colors are mixable with each other, so you could use a combination. If you decide to try them, and can't find them in your area, post me a message, I'll be more than happy to send you the colors you might need. Regards,SG(y)
  6. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks SG. Very generous of you. I found it in Toronto.....now I just have to get there :-( Also, as Colin noted, Sargent's silver paint is very cheap and very fine grind. I will also test that on the back of the bust.

Colin
  7. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Where did you find this stuff in T.O.? If it's closer to me or even downtown (I have to go downtown Monday to renew my Electrical Licence) I can pick it up and bring it to Hamilton next Sunday.

Let me know

Colin
  8. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Aboveground has it. I will let you know but I think I have to go into TO Tuesday to pick up my son's birthday gift. Will let you know.

Thanks

Colin
  9. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Some more inks applied. Started undercoating some of other surfaces. Helmet is undercoated GW Dawnstone.

Colin

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
    Borek, Lasalle, Paul Kernan and 3 others like this.
  10. Tonton Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    The sculpt alone is brilliant but this is turning into something else – as you north Americans say, “Awesome". I’m full of envy at such skill.

Jeff
  11. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks Jeff, that's good of you. I found some more useful illustrations of D'Hautpoul. The larger picture is the charge at Eylau from the receiving end! The first thumbnail is a period print of the mortally wounded general's passing. Sucks to die in those conditions.

Colin

image.jpg

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
  12. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    Can't wait to see this beauty!
    If you decide to go for the rub-n-buff from Aboveground in Toronto, I'm in too. Let me know.
    Cheers,
    Zeno
    pmfs likes this.
  13. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks Zeno. You mean you want some too if I go shopping? What colour?...they only have silver and some golds.

Did a bit of undercoating on the helmet metals this morning and also some initial work on this uniform lace and oak leaves. Just 2 shades of undercoat so far.

Colin

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
    Borek, Lasalle, Osvald and 2 others like this.
  14. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    Yes.
    According to their site, they have one silver and 3 gold. If you go shopping, I'm interested in all what's available.
    Thanks in advance.
    Cheers mate.
    Zeno
  15. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    More work on his neck lace. This will be heavily highlighted with yellow, Naples yellow and unbleached titanium to pick up gold lace effects and perhaps then lightly washed with diluted gold ink. You can see I don't go for precision....more of a portrait painter's technique of indicating detail with paint. First coat Vallejo game colour leather brown and second coat VGC bronze fleshtone. Washes of diluted blue base coat after the first coat of paint to define the edges of the decorations better.

Colin

image.jpg image.jpg
    Borek, Lasalle, napoleonpeart and 8 others like this.
  16. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    It's been well over a week since I have touched a brush but here is a small update showing progress on his collar lace and oak leaves. I highlighted with cadmium yellow, then Naples yellow, then un bleached titanium. Then a light wash with highly diluted sepia ink.

I also undercoated his cuirass lining. Pretty rough but it gives a better idea of what he will look like.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

At last weekend's Hamilton show, I picked up the superb Histoire and Collections book called "A Dictionary of the Cuirassier Officers of the First Empire" by Olivier Lapray. It provides a short bio of every officer of any rank who served in the 14 cuirassier regiments, including jr. officers. Plus plates by Andre Joineau (sp?) and photos of uniforms, portraits, autographs etc. Here are some sample pages (there is colour like this on every page in the book).

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Colin
    Borek, Lasalle, napoleonpeart and 6 others like this.
  17. John Ballard Well-Known Member

Colin
    Great start on the uniform for this guy. I will be interested to see how your Rub n'buff works out. Btw here is what I am experimenting with for rough and ready bases. My local Homehardware sells pre turned wooden table legs for assembling all sorts of tables. They are made of pine but they present a couple of possibilities. I bought an 18'' long version as indicated and it cost me $13. I cut the leg as shown and then sanded and stained each piece. Now these are only pine and they are a bit rough, so nowhere near the quality of say Ron Tamburini's, or Oakwood bases etc etc but for 4 bases or about $3.50 each, they are great for the display cabinet.

[IMG]

I'll post a finished one on one of my next bust blogs.

John
  18. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Good idea John. Some higher end lumber stores probably have hardwood posts. I have looked but not too hard as I expect they would not be a single piece of wood and they would likely cost about $100. Possibly cheaper than ordering bases but not a lot. I also tried wooden cubes from Michael's but they are hollow....hard to drill into. BTW - I love the paint job you did on Ben Franklin.

Colin
  19. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Hi Colin,
    I have been a bit out of touch with your progress on this big fellow......what a brilliant transformation.
    I really like all that you have done here but yet again your sculpting and painting of those oak leaf lace on the collar is mind blowing.
    Great work Mate,
    Keith
    crf likes this.
  20. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Coming along great Colin. Even the bit of red gives a better impression of how this is shaping up.

I'm building quite a collection of hardwood cuts, that are polishing up quite nicely. There may be something of interest there for you.

Glad to see you back at this fella... Look forward to more progress.

Colin
    crf and Wings5797 like this.