1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Painting fishnets

Discussion in 'Painting Techniques' started by Bootneck, Dec 14, 2017.

1. Bootneck Well-Known Member

Hi everyone.
    I would like to paint the recently announced Andrea miniatures “Daddy’s little girl” Harley Quinn.
    The one thing that I find daunting is painting fishnets. This is a major visual feature of this figure and if not done correctly I think will spoil the rest of the figure.

Does anyone have experience or tips for painting fishnets?
    Thanks in anticipation.
    Peter.
    ellie likes this.
  2. ellie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi mate Graham at the club would be a good person to ask Buddy as he has done quite a few of the ladies, and has done a cracking job on the tights might be worth asking him for a demo in the new tear mate. other than that wait and see what kind of advice you get on here.

Cheers bussy

ian

www.elliesminiatures.com
    Bootneck likes this.
  3. Alex A Fixture

Canada
    always try to paint what you see..so you need a model... get your wife in those fishnets and paint her as you see her :)
    Tony Dawe, gforceman and DaddyO like this.
  4. DaddyO A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I really learn to paint fishnets too ;)
  5. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    In 54mm, and even in 1/24 scale, that's going to be tricky.

In the anime model community, it became common a couple of years ago to depict fishnets with actual net material. I think it actually looks worse than any attempt to paint them, or if they were molded on. There's usually a big, outsized, overscale seam. I don't know if decal sheets depicting fishnets would work; I guess if they worked, someone would manufacture them, but I don't know of any. I'm curious to hear what you can find out.

Prost!
    Brad
    Bootneck likes this.
  6. Bootneck Well-Known Member

Thanks guys for all your suggestions.
    Peter.
  7. sippog Active Member

United-Kingdom
    David Fisher covers this in his Model Mania videos but he is working on quite large scale figures
  8. franck edet A Fixture

Canada
    never had to try this but, as this figure is in my stach too, i thought i would do it by painting rows of very little X one by one, working in lines downward would help to make them realistic in the folds of the legs ... then finishing by a glaze of clear smoke.
    my canadian 2 cents :)
    theBaron and DaddyO like this.
  9. DaddyO A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Not fishnets, but stockings on this one which is a similar size.
    You can only just see the tops of the legs which were painted completely as usual first, then using the same flesh colour I tinted a dark grey and over painted the stockings adding highlights and shadows as usual. For the highlights I used a brush which had a splayed/split end painting in 45 degree strokes to imitate the weave (can't see it really unless you use a glass) Finally the lacing at the top was added in a darker shade. If you do go for fishnets I rather like Franck's idea, but it would be a lot of work . . . . tights.jpg
  10. Ferris A Fixture

Not sure about the casting of this model, but if the fishnet is part of the cast they shouldn't be too hard to paint and a careful 'wet drybrush' should do the job...hope this makes sense.
  11. Bootneck Well-Known Member

Hi sippog I will google these videos,who knows may pickup a tip.
    Hi Franck, was thinking about drawing x with a very fine pen, yours sounds a good idea. Thanks for sharing.
    Hi Daddyo. Love this figure of a Wren. Thanks for the suggestion.
    Hi Ferris, not seen the casting yet but drybrushing is a possibility if cast on the figure. Many thanks.

Peter.
  12. sippog Active Member

United-Kingdom
  13. Bootneck Well-Known Member

Many thanks Sippog, lovely painting. Who knows maybe they may be moulded so a bit of dry brushing will sort me,lol
  14. Predasteve Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    I just finished painting my 1/6 Harley Quinn. I took some pics of the fishnet painting stages. I used black mixed 50/50 with glaze medium. I have the 75mm Andrea kit too & I will paint mine with the same technique as ive used on this one. It’s a tedious job but hopefully won’t take as long on the 75mm version.

Hope this maybe of help to you.

Cheers

Steve

Attached Files:

gforceman, Oda, theBaron and 3 others like this.
  15. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Peter

For goodness sake don't google fishnets !! .......I did ....and got slapped by Carole ..lol

I have plenty of references as well ......

Happy painting

Nap
    Oda, Wings5797 and Bootneck like this.
  16. Bootneck Well-Known Member

Hi Steve, that’s a great job you have done there very effective and I think this is the way to go.

Thanks for sharing your work. Either you must be a real Harley fan on just a glutten for punishment, painting two figures.

Peter.
    Predasteve likes this.
  17. Bootneck Well-Known Member

Nap.
    Your secret is safe with me and those “Google “ searches
  18. sippog Active Member

United-Kingdom
    You could use some fine mesh material as an airbrush template but you'd have spray dark first then lighter on top
    Bit risky - but you could test it out on something first. (I use primed children's toys figures)
    theBaron and Bootneck like this.
  19. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Just rely on distant memory Peter..
    sippog likes this.
  20. Bootneck Well-Known Member

Negative painting. Interesting. Thanks for the suggestion.
    Peter.