1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Painting eyes is easy - sbs

Discussion in 'Painting Techniques' started by Ineluki, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Ineluki Active Member

Poland
    Hello !
    Today I'd like to show a SBS presenting my technic for painting eyes. The model is Young's La Hire.

1. Eyeballs painted in a light colour - mix of solomon rose (VMC nr 835), 2-nd base from Andrea's Flesh Paint set, and GW white. A bit of highlighting is done adding more white to the initial mix

2. Upper eyelid is underpainted with a dark colour, which is VGC Black and Dark brown leather (AC – 49).
    3. A dark pink line is painted by the lower lid with mix of Dark red AC 30, 2-nd flesh base (Andrea flesh set), and a bit of Games Workshop Liche Purple. The conjunctiva is shadowed with the mix above, darkened with AC Dark brown leather
    4. The iris is painted with the mix of VMC dark prussian blue and black
    5.The iris is highlighted carefully with prussian blue (VMC) and rainy gray (Reaper Master Series), leaving a dark circle of previous colour around.
    6. More highlihgting, with the mix from point 5 and ghost grey (VGame Colour)
    7. The pupils are painted wiht pure black
    8. A "lightcatch" dot is done with an off white paint
    9. The last step - coat of glossy varnish
    And done ! I hope you like it. Feel free to coment and critique - if i did something incorrect, in a wrong way - just let me know, I always want to improve.

Simon

Attached Files:

Wado_Phil, Illa, tbolt7 and 8 others like this.
  2. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    Great SBS!!! Very, very helpful. Thank you very much!!!
    Maybe in the future you will be interested to conduct an eye SBS at 54mm. It will very much appreciated.
    Cheers,
    Zeno
  3. Mark S Guest

Thanks for the SBS, Simon.
    Nice result.
  4. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Simon,
    Thanks for the photo's.
    Cheers
    John
  5. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Thank you, great SBS! :)
  6. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    Nice and clear SBS Simon well done and much appreciated.
    Cheers
    Derek
  7. Ineluki Active Member

Poland
    Thank you guys for comments.
    The SBS could be better, if only I knew how to put pictutres in text, not below the text :).
    Zeno - maybe I'll do a SBS at 54 mm in the future, but the rules are basically the same. Of course, not every step is realisable in smaller scale. My advice - in 54 mm do as much as you can from this SBS.
    Gordy - I just realised we have a separate division in PF for SBS. Hope you not going to hurt me much for misplacing this thread :D

Cheers
    Simon
  8. Reddo Active Member

Australia
    Excellent - very helpful.
  9. phc35 Well-Known Member

United-States
    I like this ,but I can't seen to make a circular dot in any eye to save myself. how do you get them that way?

Jay
  10. Ineluki Active Member

Poland
    If you aks about the pupils, I just paint it patiently :). It's not so hard, you just need to be patient, and of course, to have a very good brush, with a nice sharp point. The pupils don't have to be perfectly round, in fact, you can't see minor imperfections. Keep in mind, that the photos are much bigger, than in reality. Try to paint pupils, and correct any mistakes - till you are satysfied with a result.

cheers
    Simon
  11. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks Simon!
    It will be much appreciated if you put in place a SBS at 54mm. My main problem at 54mm is that not always the eyes are well sculpted to be able to experiment. The result, most of the time, is an abbreviated painted eye.:(
  12. Einion Well-Known Member

Insert the image code where you want the pic to appear:
    [IMG]www.sampleimagehost.com/me/mypics/image1.jpg[/IMG]
    Many imagehosts automatically generate this type of coding for every uploaded image, so no need to remember the coding or type anything in.

In Photobucket, if your browser supports it, you just click on the IMG code option and it's automatically copied to your clipboard so no need even to hit Ctrl-C :D

Einion
    Ineluki likes this.
  13. Roc Active Member

United-States
    excellent sbs, keep up the good work.
  14. Figurenfreund66 Well-Known Member

Germany
    Thanks for SBS, It is very helpful.

best regards

Hendryk
  15. kristo79 New Member

Poland
    Thanks, it will be helpful.

Chris
  16. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Excellent SBS.
    Thanks for going to the trouble,
    Carl.(y)
  17. combatartist Active Member

United-States
    Very generous of you - these SBS postings take time and effort, and yours are top notch!

Tony S
  18. Pops Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Many thanks for this. As someone returning to painting after a 15 year break this has proved very handy. My eyes and hands are not as steady as they used to be, so, giving it some thought I have experimented laying the basic iris in using a cylindrical cocktail stick that has been nipped off at the end, dabbed in an appropriate colour, tested on a bit of scrap card to ensure the correct shape/amount of paint, and then pressed onto the eye. It seems to have worked allowing me the confidence to tidy up and add some detail. Here's how it turned out. This is clearly very early on in the game. The eyes still need tidying up but I'm reasonably happy.
    [IMG]