1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Painting camo jacket on S&T Luftwaffe Fig.

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by D.Lesko, Oct 13, 2004.

1. D.Lesko Member

Hi guys. Im in the process of painting this figure and need a bit of help. What colors, in Valejo Acrylics if possible, would be appropriate for the camo jacket? The main color appears to be a greenish tan, am i correct in this? Also, any hints on painting camoflague patterns? This will be my first attempt and i have no clue on where to begin. Would it be easier to do in acrylics with shading done w/oil washes? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks guys.

[IMG]
  2. mvonb Member

David,

the Colorado Miniatures site gives a lot of good info on Vallejo mixes. Just scroll down the page for a few hints on the colours.

Here

HTH

Martin
  3. D.Lesko Member

Thanks Martin, what camo pattern is that coat in?
  4. Ronald Kok Member

Netherlands
    I thought it is a splinter pattern

Ron
  5. D.Lesko Member

Sorry, that was me above...forgot to log in. Thanks for the help guys. A few more questions, was this a standardized pattern? In other words, do i have any leaway with the pattern at all or does it have to be exact? Also, any recomendations on how to do the vertical lines? Thanks!
  6. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey David!

I am not very good at camo but here is what I would do:

Paint the base in an Tan/Gray color, then highlight and shade appropriately

Paint the Green pattern, try to keep the edges as straight as you can, highlight and shade.

Paint the Brown pattern, highlight and shade.

For the small streaks I would use like a 00 or 000 with a very fine tip and dilluted paint, but not so dilluted so it runs everywhere, just enough that it covers well and flows freely from the brush.

Here is a link to more Fallshirmjagr camo uniforms and color/pattern options.

http://pacificcoast.net/~gmax/uniforms/lwcamo.htm

Attached Files:

7. gary New Member

Dave,

Here's a link to a site that I've found invaluable for anything German.
    http://www.german-militaria.com/listings.htm

Scroll down to the listings and take a gander at either Luftwaffe or Heer. So far as I know, both branches used the same patterns. If you'd like a few more references, drop me a line and I'll shoot a few more shots off to you.

Vallejo does have WWII German cammo pack with all the necessary colors in it, but this includes both SS colors as well as those used in the 'splinter' patterns. That might help you in getting the right ones to start.

Gary
  8. captnenglish Well-Known Member

United-States
    David,

Sorry I don't have my paints right in front of me, so I don't the numbers, but I use Vallejos and here are my suggestions, base German Camo biege, (for the Brown) I think it's Umber, might go flat brown or flat earth and (for the Green) go with Luftwaffe Green. Again sorry I don't have numbers.
  9. D.Lesko Member

Thanks guys...i appreciate it.
  10. D.Lesko Member

Ok guys, here are some in progress shots of the jacket. This is before detailing and shading/highlighting. The basic colors have been laid in. Also, any suggestions on how to do all the little lines? Should i try it or leave it as is. Would they show up in this scale? I appreciate the help, does this look about right:

[IMG]

[IMG]
  11. gary New Member

It doesn't look bad at all. Looking at shots I have of this pattern, the green might be a tiny bit too yellow, but not by much. I've got a good dozen or so photos showing this pattern. If you'd like, I can zip them and send them on. Just drop me an email.

Gary
  12. D.Lesko Member

Gary, do you recomend changing the green or can i get away with this shade? It was had to match and i ended up settling for US WWII Camo Green i beleive. Also, would you please send the pics if you have an opportunity? My email address is dlesko@mchsi.com I think you sent me some before but im not sure. Thanks!
  13. gary New Member

Dave,

The zip file should be in your inbox. Ok, keep in mind I'm basing my comments on the pics I see on the screen... and we both know this isn't necessarily what the actual color is. So here goes.

The green looks just a bit too yellow as I noted. And I think when you look at the photos I've sent you'll see what I mean. Now, if you want to change the color, the US cammo green could easily work with just a touch of blue added. That should neutralize the yellow just a bit, and cool it down at the same time.

I'll let you look over the photos, and come to your own conclusions. I'll be interested in your comments once you look at the pics.

Gary
  14. amherbert Member

Hi Dave

I posted a response over on TNT.

I think your colors are OK, because I assume some weathering will occur. I think your splinters are too rounded. They should be more angular. The pics posted by Anders show it well.

And the 'rain' streaks would be visible at the scale of your figure.

I bet that's a reproduction of the jacket in Anders' photos. It doesn't quite look right to me – and a visit to the link confirms it's a reproduction.

As I said over on TNT, I can take some snapshots from references I have if you need them. The Osprey Fallschirmjager book is a good source for the pattern, but of course that guy is wearing the later pattern Luftwaffe field division jacket. I have a book on D-Day with great pictures of original uniform items, and I think there's a photo of the kind of jacket you are painting.

Cheers
    Andy
  15. Pete_H New Member

I agree with Andy in that the pattern looks a bit too rounded on the edges (thanks for beating me to the punch, buddy! :) ). As for toning down the yellow hue in the green, perhaps this could be achieved with your highlighting. If not, then graying down your green would help (try adding a bit of light gray to it, but just enough to tone it down).

The rain pattern is definitely visible in this scale. A common misconception is that it covers the entire pattern, when in fact it does not (so don't overdo it). Some work with a 000 brush and some dark gray (almost black) in oils will go a long way.

Another book I'd recommend is "German Paratroops" by Robert Kurtz (Schiffer Military History). Also, check out this link: http://www.fjr5.com/

Hang in there. It's coming out nicely ...
  16. D.Lesko Member

Thanks guys, ill go back and straighten out some of the splinters so they look right. As for the rain pattern, the references i have show it covers most of the camo pattern and is pretty tight. How do you suggest painting this? Should i just suggest it by painting some of the verticle lines in the beige areas? Ill also go back and fix the green, ill have to check out those picks Gary sent me, havent had a chance yet. I was planning on shading with thinned sepia oils and not highlighting the jacket. Since this is my first try at camo i didnt want to go crazy.
  17. bwildfong Well-Known Member

Canada
    Dave et al:

Nice job on the smock so far Dave - thanks for sharing it and keep us posted on the progress.

I was fascinated with this figure from the moment I first saw it. Is it just me, or is the pose an almost exact rendering of Michelangelo's "David", albeit in Luftwaffe field uniform ?

Cheers,

Brian
  18. D.Lesko Member

Hi guys. I tryed to make the splinters on the front of the jacket more angular. I also painted the green a more greyish green color and added some of the rain pattern to the camo. I used a sepia wash for shadows. Does this look better then my previous try? Ive posted comparison pictures below, thanks guys:

[IMG]
  19. Pete_H New Member

Looking better, but if I may offer 2 suggestions:
    1. the shadows need to be darker, especially the deepest shadows.
    2. the vertical black (or very dark gray) lines forming the rain pattern aren't visible on the pattern itself.
  20. D.Lesko Member

Hi Pete, thanks for the input. Im not done with the shadows and some of them have been messed up because i adjusted the camo colors after shading. I wasnt not planning on doing this in oils, what do you recomend for shading? Is the sepia wash a decent way of doing it? Also, on you second point, im not sure what you mean. Is the rain pattern on the camo pattern itself or just the beige areas? Thanks Pete.