1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Painting British DPM camoflague - SBS

Discussion in 'Painting Techniques' started by tonydawe, Nov 10, 2009.

1. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom

Attached Files:

2. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Florent,

Thanks very much for your comments mate, I'm glad you found my SBS valuable.

I'm no expert on German Peadot cam (but I know someone who probably is!), but I would suggest that if you closely examine most camoflague patterns, they comprise a replicating scheme of overlapping colours that build up in sequential layers over a base colour, much like British DPM (although there are always exceptions).

Unpicking that scheme and reverse engineering the layers of colour over the base colour, should enable you to reproduce a reasonably accurate interpretation of just about any known camoflague pattern.

Either way, if you take it one colour at a time, you shouldn't have too many problems. Good luck.
  3. Dennis Active Member

England
    Hello Tony, thank you for sticking your head above the parapet and sharing with us your DPM painting technique. I have no criticism of your work, the figure works for me.

I would like make a small point, and that is that in my time as a British soldier (24 years) after the 'combats' had been worn for some time the jacket and trousers did not match up colour wise, there were small but noticeable changes in the colour/tone of the garments due to wear, laundering newer articles of clothing worn with older articles etc.

I do not know if this tip will make your painting of future DPM clad figures any easier but I hope it helps you and other members of the Planet

Incidentally one of my 'Toms' in Ulster wore American ERDL pattern trousers on rural ops for 3 months before I noticed, I guess my mind was on other things.

Dennis
    Scotty likes this.
  4. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Thanks for that Dennis. I stated in the debacle over my lightweight colour they varied from maker to maker, and as you rightly stated time worn, theatre, amount of ironing etc.
    Cheers,
    Carl.
  5. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Dennis,

Thanks for your comments on my SBS, I'mglad you liked it.

I'm particularly pleased you made the point about how pants and jackets fade and wear at different rates in the field.

I know from my own experience that pants tended to wear out and fade much faster than shirts and jackets, simply because of the greater contact the lower half of the body has with the ground.

In the field you wear your trousers for days, sometimes weeks, at a time, and when you take them off, they can often stand up on their own. It's often the mud that's holding them together. Wash them and they fall apart.
    yeo_64 likes this.
  6. Andrew Craft Well-Known Member

Australia
    Hi Tony,
    I have no idea what the camo is supposed to look like, but as a new comer to the hobby I have to say thanks for the great SBS. It's people like you that take the time to create these SBS articles that help us newbies improve. I appreciate the time and effort you've put in mate,

Cheers,
    Andrew.
  7. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    If it would help Andrew, I can photograph a set of UK DPM combats for you.
    Carl.
  8. Andrew Craft Well-Known Member

Australia
    Thanks Carl, I did a quick google images search so I have a good idea now. I've got to say nice work Tony from what i can see your painting looks spot on.
    I was just trying to give credit where credit is due, anyone who takes time out of their day to create a guide for others to use deserves a big (y)
    Andrew
    napoleonpeart, tonydawe and housecarl like this.
  9. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Here you go, might be of some assistance to somebody.
    You can easily see the variety in shades.
    Carl.

Attached Files:

• 027.jpg
      027.jpg
      File size:
      104.1 KB
      Views:
    • 029.jpg
      029.jpg
      File size:
      81.6 KB
      Views:
    • 030.jpg
      030.jpg
      File size:
      103 KB
      Views:
    • 028.jpg
      028.jpg
      File size:
      63.3 KB
      Views:
  10. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks Andrew, no worries mate. Happy to share my passion for figure modelling with others.(y)

Good to see Carl is still hijacking my thread:p;)
  11. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Let's all try and do our best to keep the peace, we also need to understand that not only is language (and uniform dye ;) ) a variance but so is tact and delivery ;)
  12. Harry New Member

Netherlands
    I didn't intend my post as a criticism of the original poster. I evidently badly misunderstood the purpose of the thread as a repository of information on painting DPM. Labouring under that misapprehension I thought some alternative views on the topic might have been of interest to readers. I'm sorry if I came across as arrogant or offensive as that certainly wasn't ever my intention. I have removed my earlier post.
    Funky50 likes this.
  13. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
  14. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    "Talk to the hand, cos' the face aint listening, innit.:D"
    Carl.
  15. Helm A Fixture

England
    Just like to thank you Tony using this on my Falklands figure been an invaluable guide
    Steve
  16. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    You're very welcome Steve. I'm glad it was of use to you mate.(y)
  17. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Tony ,

Thanks for the very interesting SBS , cam is always so difficult ..bit like tartan!!! your thread has provided a really useful option on painting DPM ...and looks great as well ...looking forward to seeing the figure finished now.....

Thanks as always for your input to PF

Nap
    tonydawe likes this.
  18. badger Well-Known Member

Scotland
    thank you for teaching us to do this , I made a diorama in 120mm scale of black watch soldiers in derry and painted this camouflage and it became a bit tedious painting 5 figures and I was happy with the results but felt they could have been better, now I know how to do it thanks to you. / badger
    tonydawe likes this.
  19. Jamie Stokes Well-Known Member

Australia
    Tony,
    This is a good SBS. Logical, works from light to dark. You also describe the pattern and its break down, and how it can be achieved with some patterns that are replicated.

Also, I like how you were wearing DPM pants at the time of painting, you alluded to your history of dragging yourself through the mud while part of the Australian Defence Forces.

And yes, pants wear differently to shirts, as do boots and all bits of kit.

Cheers

Jamie
    tonydawe likes this.
  20. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    A very young man approached me as I received a silver medal for this figure at a regional show, a couple of years ago.
    (Again, a wonderful piece of rob hardwick's sculpting, adapted slightly to suit my old unit's method of dress in the field).
    He said, "paul if only you had painted it in deeper colours that would have won a gold medal, good attempt, the pattern is spot on though".
    I asked him if he had ever worn DPM, or indeed any uniform. He said "nooooo not me", "but you are an expert on british uniform"?
    e said "no I'm just pointing out it's not quite there you know"?
    With a sigh I explained in my unit we overwashed our dpm so we didn't look like newcomers, as was the fashion of the late 70's; the uniform blended into backgrounds better when faded too in practical terms and the model was in fact taken from a photo of myself, all shades exact.
    So, tongue in cheek I asked who do I go to for my gold medal.
    He had the good grace to apolgise.
    Harry was that you ? SMW%202014%20Patrolling%2079.jpg
    Jamie Stokes, yeo_64, Scotty and 2 others like this.