1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

painting a face with oils

Discussion in 'Just starting...' started by Andrew Clay, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Andrew Clay Member

hi guys,
    i am going to transfer painting faces with oils. i used acrylics beforehand but found the not too work to well for me. i tried to paint a 1/16 face with the oils but didn't have much success as it just turned into a dark brown/yellow colour. what do i need to do to make this work. i got some abteilung 502 from mig. the colors are:
    buff
    shadow brown
    wash brown
    light rust brown
    basic skin tone
    lightskin tone
    primer red

i am using daler-rowney 6,8and 4 size filberts.

andrew
  2. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
  3. baronband Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Carl
    i was just sitting flicking through the site when you put this link up for Andrew... thanks, i like it too!
    John
  4. Andrew Clay Member

thanks carl, i have bookmarked that. maybe my problem was that i was using too big of a brush and should go with a smaller one, such as s no. 1 round.
  5. Einion Well-Known Member

How many have you tried?

For smaller scales in particular you might find oils a little more challenging to use, especially because you can't continue to paint and paint past a certain point because you have to stop and wait for the paint to dry overnight at least.

Probably too big! Filberts are great brushes, but you might need two or three smaller brushes (rounds) to help with faces.

Just generally on colours when painting skin, be careful of using too much brown in shadow mixes for caucasians - check photos and look at yourself in the mirror. Shadows on skin aren't really brown, if you look at them closely you should be able to see they're basically a duller (slightly greyer) version of the colour they are in the light.

Einion
  6. Andrew Clay Member

i did buy some smaller brushes other than the filbert brushes. i used vallejo, andrea and games workshop, but did not find them to suit me well. i will give them another go when i increase my skilles. so for the shadows, i should use a small amount of brown, with some red(?) and grey.
  7. Einion Well-Known Member

The main thing to get used to is working wet over dry, it's the primary way of using acrylics and any similar paints.

After you've undercoated it's a process of slowly building up to the final colour in successive layers. Since they dry so quickly, and you can speed this up even more by giving it a quick blast with a hairdryer, you can apply layer after layer in quick succession.

Yes, there are numerous other mixes but that's actually one very good way of mixing some darker skin colours. One of my favourite mixes for deep shadows is Burnt Umber with a little grey and a dot of Cad Red Light.

Einion
  8. steve j Active Member

England
    hi andrew
    a good brush helps it doesn't have to be a well known name as long as as it's red sable or kolinsky sable dont take any notice of what catagory the art shop puts them in this is what you want and not a synthetic bristle
  9. Gellso A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I use fine brushes to apply dots of paint then use a flat brush and stab at the paint as i find it blends in gradually and more smooth than trying to push it around with a fine tip... 120mm is the minimum scale I use this technique on.