1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Painting a Bust for the First Time

Discussion in 'Painting Techniques' started by Larsen E. Whipsnade, Apr 1, 2021.

1. Larsen E. Whipsnade Moderator

United-States
    I've never painted a bust, always full figures. But I'm intrigued by and contemplating painting the Puppeteer bust from Medieval Forge. I assume painting a bust is straightforward - it's painting half a figure. Clearly the face becomes more important on a bust than on a full figure, but other than that I thought I'd rely on the expertise existing here and ask if there are any special techniques or tips unique to busts that I should be aware of before I begin. Thanks

Rick
    KenBoyle and callmehobbes like this.
  2. DaddyO A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Rick
    Like you I'm a novice bust painter (to date I've only painted 4)
    I approached them, as you say, in exactly the same way as a full figure. You can have a lot more fun with textures on the clothing and the eye's become very important, but are straightforward if you take your time with them. I found you need less contrast that you would normally add to a smaller figure and adding a touch of glaze medium (in acrylics) can help slow the drying time a bit, but other than that the world is your mollusc as they say.
    Looks like a nice bust to start with and I look forward to seeing how you get on (y)

Paul
  3. callmehobbes Active Member

England
    Are you using oils or acrylics? Id certainly recommend a wet palette for acrylics.
    KenBoyle likes this.
  4. Larsen E. Whipsnade Moderator

United-States
    Thanks, Paul. I appreciate your input and suggestions. Have you tried using an acrylic retarder instead of a glaze medium? Any difference in your opinion?
  5. Larsen E. Whipsnade Moderator

United-States
    Thanks callmehobbes. I use acrylics (never could master the art of oils) and your suggestion to use a wet palette makes a lot of sense.
    callmehobbes likes this.
  6. DaddyO A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Nap uses retarder occasionally I believe. I've found that the Vallejo glaze medium slows the drying time down enough for me to do some wet in wet work. It's also really handy if you are doing something tricky such as catchlights on an eye. Dip the end of the brush in the glaze medium and mix it with the white and then reload the brush as normal then when you paint the catchlight if it's in the wrong place you can use a clean damp brush to 'rub it out' and try again

Cheers
    Paul
  7. Larsen E. Whipsnade Moderator

United-States
    Thanks for the tip. Eyes are my big bugaboo. The tip will help.
    Best
    Rick
  8. Airkid A Fixture

England
    I'm taken by that Puppeteer bust too Rick. I'd probably make a hash of it, but it is rather special.

Phil
  9. Larsen E. Whipsnade Moderator

United-States
    Hey Phil - It's really a cool piece isn't it? And so far out of my wheelhouse I'll probably make a hash of it too... but I think I'll have a fun time trying (he said hopefully).

Rick
    Airkid likes this.
  10. Airkid A Fixture

England
    We gotta go for it Rick(y)
  11. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Guys

Wise words from all above

Look forward to seeing things progress

Happy benchtime

Nap