Painting 32mm Halbarad Dunadan

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Wendy, Jan 31, 2006.

1. Wendy Active Member

United-States
    I do intend to do (or attempt) some sculpting, but first, there's a bunch of great step-by-step topics to be read. :) In the meantime, I'll be painting a couple figs too. Halbarad is rather special to me, because I had a little input on his design (mostly the horse) and he one of my favorite minor characters in Lord of the Rings. :lol:

Be warned! I change my mind often on colors used. Every figure is an adventure...

Attached is a pic...

Attached Files:

2. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Come on Wendy give it a go, we all want to see you paint it. ;)

Cheers
    Roc. :)
  3. Roy New Member

United-Kingdom
    That looks like a very well detailed little piece..
    Looking forward to seeing it come to life.

All the best...Roy.
  4. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    That is a nicely detailed figure Wendy. I look forward to your painting.
  5. Uruk-Hai PlanetFigure Supporter

Sweden
    Come on, Wendy!

Put some colours on the update!

Cheers
  6. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Figure talking: Ahem...paint please! :) ~Gary
  7. Bill Mayo New Member

..."Every figure is an adventure"

Well, you are certainly right about that! Looking forward to seeing this beauty with a little paint on it.
  8. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Can't wait to see him painted!

Jason
  9. Wendy Active Member

United-States
    Just a little update: I worked on him a little bit today. Ignore the face. It's way too dark. I'm not sure how much shadow and highlights to add to the horse. Is there a way of painting the horse to look rough-haired? I'll have to look other people's pictures here to find a good "wood" color for the staff of the standard. He is part of the "grey company", so he will be almost completely warm grey(s).

Attached Files:

10. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Wendy, If you start it section of figure by base coating with a mid tone you can then work your shadows and highlights as light or dark as you want. Because of their size, smaller figures benefit from having sharper contrast between lights and darks. There are some folks here that paint "minis", hopefully they'll chime in with some suggestions.~Gary
  11. Wendy Active Member

United-States
    Here's an update on Halbarad. Someone sent me another of the same figure to paint for him, so there's two of them in the picture. They won't be painted exactly alike, as you can see from the horses. I'm going for a mousy/dun grey on the Halbarad 2, while sticking with traditional colors for a Shire horse on Halbarad 1. The second pic is the back of Halbarad 1. I don't like really stark contrasts, but I think I'll add some more highlights and lowlights on the cloak.

Attached Files:

12. Wendy Active Member

United-States
    Here's the second pic I referred to in the last post.

Attached Files:

13. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Looking great so far Wendy. The additional highlights on the cloak as you mentioned should really bring it out.
  14. Wendy Active Member

United-States
    Here's the latest on Halbarad #2. This is the one I'm painting for someone else, so finishing it is a higher priority than my Halbarad.

Attached Files:

15. Wendy Active Member

United-States
    Here's my Halbarad. There's a lot of clean up work and stuff to be done. His face really bugs me. (I probably should make the picture smaller.) I'll probably work on him tonight some while watching the hockey game.

Attached Files:

16. Wendy Active Member

United-States
    Here's my Halbarad. He still needs some slight tweaking (as does my picture taking ability) but he is pretty much done.

Attached Files:

17. Uruk-Hai PlanetFigure Supporter

Sweden
    Nice to see you coming along Wendy, but what happend to that fox of yours?

Cheers
  18. MikkoH Member

Finland
    Looking very good Wendy! I myself know that those minis ain't the easiest to paint.

Cheers Mikko
  19. History 1 New Member

United-States
    Looks great Wendy.