1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

"Paintathon" with WW2 German from Stormtroopers V12 range

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Nap, Jan 31, 2014.

1. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Guys ,

Well after a sleepless night due to family things , I succumbed to the scapel ..so out it came and off came the cords to be replaced by straps as per NCO pictures (couldn't find that other picture!!!) ...fingers still intact ..just ...
    Strap based in Army Painter Oak Brown and GW Chaos Black

Not the best picture to show the strap but its there!!!!
    kev 003.jpg
    I will be also painting the scarf in Plane Tree camo and have based it using : Vallejo 825 Pale Violet Brown .

Working on the jacket now , going to paint this slightly differently in order : Jacket , Scarf, Flesh, Cap and Coat

Off to swirl the brushes about

Nap
    Wings5797 and Borek like this.
  2. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Guys ,

Here is a better picture of the cap kev 006.jpg ........ pleased with it now

...been working on the jacket : kev 007.jpg

...lots more to do!!!!!

Base: Vallejo Tan Yellow 912

Shadows Base + Vallejo Burnt Umber 941

Highs: Base + Vallejo Pale Sand 837

High Highs: Vallejo Pale Sand 837

Off now to do a bit more...wish I wasn't in work tommorow!!!!

Nap
    crf, Goetz, Joe55 and 2 others like this.
  3. Mark Dollery Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Well, the paintahon is really hotting up now,
    Ahh, Nap, great minds think alike, Luftwaffe light blue neckachief... the conversion looks like it going in the right direction with the colour choices, look forward to more..
    Pedro, your a brave man for going pea pattern...must try that soon...

Guys. I spent a couple of hours getting the Italian cammo in place & getting the base on the coat... using LC italian green, LC German yellow & German red brown & LC Field grey for the great coat. I usually use Vallejo model colour but thought I would try the Life colour sets to see how they faired & they are not too shabby....
    I may have to put this on the back burner for a bit as Richie is providing me with some ground work grass to get my Tommy's War Gun * limber team dio finished in time for the Huddersfield show next weekend..:confused:anyway, here the results
    [IMG][IMG]
  4. Sturm Grenadier Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hello Everyone, I didn't have much time Saturday to work on the bust, been removing thick ice, and snow from the back deck, and driveway. Big snow storm hit here in the Northeast of the States. I'm planning to work on the NCO strap, later today. I want to use a few Verlinden photo-etch sets for the straps, buckles, and rivets on the cap: A SS EM PEAK CAP_1.jpg 0065_1.jpg 0057_1.jpg The staps are actually belts, from the soldier gear set #57, and also the buckles. The rivets, that hold the strap, will come from the seat belt set #65. They look good in scale, to what I'm trying to do. I have some lead foil, also from Verlinden, for back-up. The beak of the cap on the NCO version, had a raised lip around the front of the beak, so I may add that also, but there are examples of it not being there on other NCO peaked caps. That's the plan, hope it works out. I will post some photos soon. Regards, SG:)
  5. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    I'm enjoying this thread, go guys go (y)!

Joe
  6. Mark Dollery Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Hey Sturmy, good call with the verlinden stuff, never thought of that... where did you get them from?:)
    Mark D
  7. Sturm Grenadier Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hello Mark, Boy, your really making me feel my age:facepalm: I've had those sets for nearly 20 years my friend, back when I did 1/35th armor models, and figures. What's amazing, is that there still available from Verlinden. I didn't measure them for the bust, just kind of eyeballed them, and they looked in scale. The Verlinden soldier gear set has a good variety of buckles, which I needed for the two on the outside of the strap, and for the smaller buckle/clasp for the center. I spent an hour trying to find them in my stash, most of which is packed up, at least 1/35th stuff. Mark, and to anyone else, you can still get Verlinden products from a good hobby shop that carries them, or they may order them for you. Verlinden Productions has an on-line site, but I think they only supply dealers, and shop owners, I could be wrong on this though. Great start to your Italian camo pattern, I like the colors you used. Regards, SG(y)
    napoleonpeart likes this.
  8. Sturm Grenadier Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hello Nap, I was trying to figure out why you were going with the cords on the cap, I thought you might be changing him back to an officer. The strap looks great, hope mine comes out as good. I like your color choices for the tropical uniform, great shades. I was doing some research on scarfs, colors, and patterns, that wouldn't clash with the camo I'm planning on the overalls, and found this picture, maybe an option you could use, looks good with a tropical tunic: DAK-scarf.jpg I haven't found a good choice yet, but maybe just a light green, light grey one. Regards, SG(y)
    napoleonpeart and pmfs like this.
  9. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Mark, come on man:D share with us the tone you used for the cap pleaseeeee....;)
    Nice camouflage mate and really awesome photos.
    This thread is hot, oh yeah!!!

Pedro.
  10. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    BTW Mark, Lifecolor is great, the colors dry completely matt. For me is the best for painting. Here in Portugal I cant find easily the stores here have only GW, Vallejo, Humbrol and Tamiya.

Pedro
  11. Mark Dollery Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Pedro, the cap is life colour field grey No 2 from their German uniform set No 1 & once the base coat is dry, I added some Vallejo basic skin tone to lighten again for the high points.
    regards
    Mark ;)
    napoleonpeart and pmfs like this.
  12. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Guys ,

Great updates and posts ..this is "HOT HOT HOT"

Mark ,
    Great camo start ..changed my scarf to doing a camo version ..but might change my mind again as the pic SG posted looks great with the tropical uniform .

Finished the jacket tonight and started on the coat ..will post pics tommorow ......up early ...damm the need to work......anyone want to share the winning lottery numbers if they know them ...imagine that 1 million £ worth of Resin ...heaven ;)

Nap
  13. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    You all, going to finish the bust quickly folks!:D
  14. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Pedro ,

I wish I am sat here before I go to work looking at the bust and wishing I was on holiday today!!!!!

Love what you are doing with yours

Nap
    pmfs likes this.
  15. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Hi Kevin,
    I have been away from this great thread for a couple of days.......All of the guys are doing very well but it reads as though you have turned it into a sculptathon.
    Looking good though and I like your conversion Mate.
    Press on.
    Cheers,
    Keith
    pmfs and napoleonpeart like this.
  16. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Keith ,

I have finished my play around with putty (y) ...wanted to give the bust a different look ......enjoying what I wanted to do ..painting:) ...off to the workhouse now :cry: !!!!

Nap
    Wings5797 and pmfs like this.
  17. Sturm Grenadier Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hello Everyone, The straps for the NCO cap are almost finished, it definitely is an eye strain, sure haven't missed working with 1/35th photo-etch stuff. After the straps, I want to add rank pips to the shoulder boards, at least one per board, that will make him an Oberscharfuhrer, and also add the Officer candidate bars. Nap, since you are the only one so far to do the pips, are you planning to paint the detail on, or are going to risk those fingers again and scribe it? The pips do have alot of detail. I haven't decided yet, but don't want to just leave them as just two blank diamond shapes on the boards. Fig59.jpg Fig30.jpg Regards, SG:blackeye::blackeye::)
  18. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi SG ,

Looking forward to seeing the cap ...photo etch eh ..bet its looking real good . Regarding the epaulettes straps ..I will be painting the details on the pips etc ( mine will be a Oberscharfuhrer but not an Officer candidate!!!) there is a lot of details and I will be working off your pictures ...great stuff ....what colour are you painting the rank lace as ...white with metallic pips?...I will be using NMM effects....do share how you will be working with yours

Ref buttons what colour were the coat ones ....and indeed the jacket ...a painted version ???

Forgot to post the WIP last night .....tired from work !!!! update coat main colour and highs etc finished ....buttons still to do , badges etc ...next up is the flesh ..hope mine comes out half as good as others have .

Nap
    Wings5797 likes this.
  19. Mark Dollery Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    I'm still watching...so no slacking lads, o_O
    Cannot wait to see the P/E on the details SG, I'm at a show at the weekend so looking for some myself....
    Pedro, I don't think I'll be quick in finishing this as it is a back burner paint up...:facepalm:
    Nap, Burning the candle at both ends will take its toll, but looking forward to the pictures....
    I hope to have the Tommy's war Gun limber team finished tonight, so may get a few hours on this prior to my next project...(y)
    Now, back to work...
    Mark D ;)
    napoleonpeart likes this.
  20. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Guys ,

Here are some pictures of where I am at the moment ...hopefully I can work on it a bit more tonight ...starting to look better IMO ...looking forward to doing the awards and ribbon etc !!!!!

...looks better in the flesh!!!!!
    kev 006.jpg kev 009.jpg kev 008.jpg kev 007.jpg ..note the WIP on the eyes!!!!!....and a bigger piccy front on kev 006.jpg

Mixes:
    Base: Vallejo Green OchreVallejo Tan Yellow 912

Shadows: Base + Vallejo Tan Yellow 912 + Vallejo Burnt Umber 941

Highs: Base + Vallejo Tan Yellow 912

High Highs: Vallejo Tan Yellow 912

Mark ...You are right about the candle ...so STUFF work and bring on the painting!!!!!

Nap