1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Paint Fler De Lys, 90mm Project

Discussion in 'Post Your Own Articles & SBS' started by Tommi, May 21, 2008.

1. Tommi A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi All
    As promised an SBS on how I tackle the Fler De Lys on the 90mm project. I run though the basic process this morning and took a few snap shots, this is the way I do it I have tried other ways but this works best for me, it’s a bit long winded but give me the best results.
    Here we go then.

I first make a template from a piece of masking tape stuck down on a cutting mat, I then proceed to draw the outline of the shape using a fine pen, you might want to have several attempts at this to get it right, never got it correct first time.

Using a new swan morton scalpe blade you need to cut the shape out of the masking tape working to the inside of the guide line you have drawn, just work in small sections and cut away the excess material, with a lot of patience you should end up with a nice template to be used on the final figue.

I then move on to the positioning of the flur del lys on the horse, this is quite simply done using a template made of something with a low tac surface, the template is a small triangle with equal sides, it is fixed in place and a small dot is drawn on the horse at the triangles three points, this dot then forms the centre of the template when placed over it. It helps to draw an x&y line on the temple to get the centre.

I then use a very soft water colour chisel brush and some yellow paint, wiping most of it from the brush I then use a stippling action to fill in the area, the template is then removed revealing the faint solid shape of the fler de lys.

Using a fine brush you can then apply your painting skills by then painting over the top of the faint pattern you have just made using the same enamel yellow paint that you have just used, if you make a slight mistake you can use a small clean brush dipped in turps to wash away any defects and tidy things up. Once dry you then need to proceed adding all your shadows and highlights in oils to each one.

Hope this helps
    Good Luck
    Tommi
    http://tommi-miniatures.moonfruit.com

Attached Files:

2. PJ Deluhery Active Member

United-States
    Very interesting and informative, Tommi. This method can work for any pattern. Thanks!
  3. Tommi A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi, yes it can but I normally only use this for very small detail that I need multiples of.
    Cheers
    Tommi
  4. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Thanks Tommi,
    I like this way. Looks easy once you get the right template.
    Does it work on 54 mm?? How do you measure the right scale or is it on the sight??
    Great SBS.

Marc
  5. Tommi A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Marc

Yes it does work for 54mm I have a part painted 54mm figure with many fleur de lys on the clothing, as you said the scale is normally determined by just guessing and seeing what it looks like, I normally look at a few pictures first of the heraldry and take a good guess from that.

Thanks
    Tommi
  6. Tommi A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Marc

Just found that 54mm figure, same technique applied

Cheers
    Tommi

Attached Files:

7. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Oke,
    That's really good information. Gonna try this some day if i dare....

Marc
  8. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Tommi,
    Thanks for the tips and info. I will try next time I have a repeat pattern.
    Cheers
    John
  9. Tommi A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi John

No problem, its good to share these methods with others especially if they are able to learn from it and use it to gain the result they were looking for.

Cheers
    Tommi
  10. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Tommi, very good SBS.
    Thanks for sharing.

Cheers
    Roc
  11. Mark S Guest

Thanks,Tommi.
    Handy tips.How do you get on in the deeper,tighter folds do you
    just go free-hand in those places??
  12. Bone Active Member

Singapore
    Thanks for the SBS

Hi Tommi,

thanks a lot for the SBS. You make it sound simple enough but I bet its not. You've got me itching to run to my workbench!

Cheers
    Basil
  13. davidmitchell A Fixture

Scotland
    Hi Tommi great idea,how many times can you use the mask before it breaks down.Do you use the same method for larger patterns or go freehand.

David
  14. Tommi A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi David

As long as you keep your hands clean you can use the same template quite a few times, I used the same one for both sides of the horse, I find it a good idea to work under a bright hot light when doning the initial stipple painting as it dries the paint quickly. I make the mask from low tak masking tape from the diy shop, it is good at bending into thoes hard to get to folds.

I normally do the bigger stuff free hand, I think I put a thread up about it somewhere on this forum, I make sure I can draw the larger piece on paper before I try and put it on the figure/horse.

Cheers
    Tommi
  15. Marcel Active Member

Spain
    Great article Tommi, thanks for sharing.
  16. Bluesking Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Very good Tommi admost useful