1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

paint class with John Long

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by Bryon Ray, Jul 7, 2004.

1. Bryon Ray New Member

United-States
    I got to my painting instruction class with John. A true Master I was not worthy of such a gift. Thank you John for the lesson. You have no idea how that little class helped and I have not even picked up a brush yet. Thanks again.

With much respect
    Bryon
  2. John Long Active Member

United-States
    AAhhh gawone! My pleasure Bryon.
  3. Grizzly Member

Painting lesson!!?? man i live in the wrong state !!
  4. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Im sorry I missed this one. I pulled in at my house at around 8 PM and after driving 5 hours I really didnt feel like going in to town with a horse trailer an all. I'll have to make it to the next J. H. Long painting clinic! Maybe you can convert me into an oil painter.
  5. John Long Active Member

United-States
    It was more of a demonstration really.

The nice thing is having some like minded folks around. I modelled figures in a vacuum around here for a long time. Anders, Bryon and I have been meeting once a month for a while. I always look forward to the meetings. It keeps one inspired and we all learn from each other.
  6. thegoodsgt Active Member

United-States
    Well done, John. I've always said that the best books and articles about painting are good, but nothing beats actually watching someone paint.
  7. KeithP Active Member

United-States
    You folks Rock!

I oinly wish I had something similar here on the left coast!

Keith
  8. amherbert Member

I was lucky enough to be in the Dallas area when the DFW Historical Miniatures Club started up. I learned so much!!

Here in Rochester, NY, it's a bit of a vacuum. There are a couple of guys who do figures in the IPMS club, but not enough of us show up each time to make it worthwhile (thus perpetuating the problem!).

Glad to hear you folks are meeting in Missouri!

Cheers
    Andy
  9. Pete_H New Member

I couldn't agree more: there's nothing better than actually "seeing" how others work. We're fortunate here in San Diego to have a decent-sized club (15+ regularly-attending members) and our "not-so-distant cousins" up at SCAHMS. We regularly throw "painting parties" where we all get together, fire up the grill, stock the cooler, and paint/sculpt. It's amazing how much one can learn in 1 hour, nto to mention have a really good time in the company of like-minded individuals.
  10. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    I agree with John that its great to get together to kind of bounce ideas and techniques around. Bryon has showed us how he makes his excellent hands and John has shown some painting of wood, both super handy things to know. I guess it is my turn to try to contribute now, hard to share something with such knowledgeable people though.

We also make the trek down to Tulsa from time to time, as it is only 3 hours away from here, so I guess looking at figure modeling geographically, we are in a great area for it.
  11. DangerAtom New Member

You guys need to bring that painting road show to Tulsa for a Saturday afternoon jam session. ;)