1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Paint brushes

Discussion in 'Just starting...' started by Davy, Nov 19, 2015.

1. Davy Member

Anyone recommend a set/type of paint brush (not too expensive for starting out?)
  2. Alex A Fixture

Canada
    My recommendation is still this one :

If you are painting 54, 75 or 90 mm figures,
    Buy only ONE serie 7 brush from W&N size 1.

With that only brush, you can paint anything
    kevininpdx likes this.
  3. Ferris A Fixture

Davy,
    Good advice from Alex that I'll second.
    I've also heard very good thing about a brand calles Broken Toad.

Don't be put off by the price of a good brush. your painting will be better and more fun by using the rigth material, and by limiting the number of brushes you can minimize cost.
    I would still suggest to also buy a few cheaper ones for basecoating, larger areas and other rudimentary work. This reduces the strain on your quality Series 7 brush.
    And do buy a proper brush cleaner. Another way to keep cost down is by making sure your brushes last longer.

Cheers,
    Adrian
    samson and kevininpdx like this.
  4. Nap Moderator

England
    Davy ,

Agree with the comments above but also have a look at the ones BrokenToad and Rosemary's Brushes , they both have good brushes .

Nap
  5. DaddyO A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I'll second the Broken Toad /Windsor and Newton series 7 options.

Alex is correct suggesting buying just one really nice brush and possibly a packet of cheap ones (from The Works or similar) for mixing/groundwork etc. Whilst in the art shop pick up a pot of 'brush cleaner/resorter' as well (Just as Adrian suggests); costs about a fiver, but mine is still going strong after several months and looks likely to last at least a year . . . It'll keep the lovely point on your 'best' brush in top condition.

Just re-read what I typed -pretty much follow th advice of the guys above :cool:
    Paul
  6. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    Follow all of the above and you won't go far wrong.
    Suggest you visit the 3 main art stores in Glasgow and check out the brushes. Check the points and reject any showing splits.
  7. Hawk_Uk PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
  8. Davy Member

Whats the difference between brushes for water colour and oils? Would I need a seperate brush for acrylics and enamels or is one brush suffice?
  9. DaddyO A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Watercolour brushes usually have more of a 'belly' for holding paint, but not always obvious in the small sizes we use. Ideally a seperate brush for each.
  10. Alex A Fixture

Canada
    And to check the point of a brush in a store :
    When the clerk is not looking at you, use a small amount of your saliva and apply it to the tip of the brush. Now try to make a point with your fingers and see if it remains after making one painting motion with the brush in the palm of your hand. If the tip does not split,you have a winner.
  11. Davy Member

Popped into Hobby craft on way home from work none of the brushes mentioned.

What size of brushes for a bust? as I'm currently doing one of those at the moment
  12. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    Hobby Craft is a non starter for serious brushes.
    Try these, both in Queen Street
    https://www.cassart.co.uk
    https://www.artstore.co.uk
    and in Stockwell Street
    http://www.millers-art.co.uk/
    As to size, everyone has their favourite sizes I usually use a couple of 2's and 1's and a selection of .0 .00 .000
    I use any make that takes my fancy for the bigger sizes but alway W&N Series 7 for the smaller ones.
  13. Davy Member

Cheers Del working tomorrow in Glasgow so might be able to swing by
  14. garyhiggins A Fixture

England
    I have a different perspective on brushes. I think it a waste of money to invest in top quality brushes until you know how to use them properly and how to look after them properly. Yes I know it's heresy but the most expensive materials won't make you great :).
    Best wishes, Gary.
    samson, Eludia and napoleonpeart like this.
  15. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I agree that cheap brushes have their place Gary but if you use them as your main brushes the poor quality can be an exercise in frustration, especially when learning. I'm not suggesting that you need to stump up straight away for Series 7 brushes but at the same time don't go to the other extreme as some cheap brushes can't even be described as brushes, they're more accurately described as Brush Shaped Objects. There are loads of decent quality brushes out there that don't cost a fortune, Broken Toad and Rosemary & Co are a couple of companies that have already been mentioned but there are others. Any tradesman will tell you that money invested in good tools is never wasted.
    housecarl and garyhiggins like this.
  16. BrokenToad Active Member

Before offering some information I would just like to point out that I am not bias about brushes, even though I sell my own brand, there have been many companies mentioned that make very good brushes and you wont know which is best for you till you try it, brushes are always a personal choice and differ for every painter.

However one thing to point out is that branding a brush as Kolinsky Sable without context wont help you, just because a brush is made with this hair does NOT mean it is a quality product. There are various grades of Kolinsky ranging from Siberian male winter coat hair ( the best ) to mass farmed chinese hair ( awful quality ), before spending money on a brush take a little time to find out what hair the brush maker uses. Any of the reputable brands mentioned will have information on their websites and when they use the highest quality of hair they wont be afraid to let you know about it. A high quality Kolinsky hair has a natural taper and holds a lot of liquid before the tip shape distorts which is why artists perfer it. Always looks for Siberian hair taken from the males winter coat, its worth the extra cost in the long run.
    samson, kevininpdx, Nige and 7 others like this.