1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Padded Jacket In Progress

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Anders Heintz, Feb 23, 2004.

1. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey guys!

After a weekend of no sculpting or painting I was ready to get going again. Inbetween reading Karl Marx "The Communist Manifesto" (Im not reading it for pleasure...class assignment) I worked on the Padded Jacket of the Russian 200mm bust Im doing. I will do it kind of SBS as I go so here are the fron of the jacket.

The first thing I did was added a ball of putty and neated it up with an X-Acto Knife, making the end at the sides and where the belt will be.

Attached Files:

2. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    The second step was to mark where the seam lines were going to be, again an X-Acto knife was used.

Attached Files:

3. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    The seams refined with X-Acto and wet brush

Attached Files:

4. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Now I added some folds and wrinkles to the material.From studying original garments of the padded jacket, they show a lot of small creases and wrinkles. Here they are roughed in.

Attached Files:

5. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Here is the 'finished' front of the coat. Still need to add the flap and buttons and need some smoothing out with steel whool. I am not sure that I am happy with the result, but maybe after a good rub down it will look better.

Attached Files:

6. yeo_64 Active Member

Singapore
    Looking really good,Anders (y) (y) (y),keep up the good work and post more soon.Cheers.Kenneth.
  7. RobH Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Keep it coming Anders!!!

(y) (y)

Always a joy to see your work, and seeing everything come together is excellent.

I do have one comment though!
    You placed in the quilting prior to adding in the larger creases, and as such, it seems a bit bulky to me. Putting in some drappery (largers crease) first, then the quilting, then the quilting small creases could produce a more natural result. Thats just the way I see it!

Anyways, looking forward to seeing more progress

cheers

Rob
  8. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey Guys,

Rob,

Wasnt excactly sure how I was going to go about it and figured that after I did the folds it would be harder to make the lines, so I just went ahead and did them before hand. I might try it like you said on the back and see how it works out. Thanks for the suggestion :)
  9. RobH Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Anders

Understand how these things can get tricky! Just try out things and see how it goes.

Experiment, experiment, experiment!

Rob
  10. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    He is really taking shape Anders........everyone gets better and better.

guy
  11. Shane Active Member

Anders,

These padded Soviet coats are a lot like the medieval gambeson. One technique I found useful for creases on gambesons is to put in the quilting like you've done, but let the putty set up so that it starts to get a little surface hardening, then push it from top or bottom to make the creases. Hope that makes sense. Timing is everything, but it usually creates realistic creases. HTH.
    Looks good. Keep it up.

Shane
  12. Robin Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Looking good matey, keep up the good work

Robin