Oxpecker finished!

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Marijn Van Gils, Feb 6, 2007.

1. Marijn Van Gils New Member

Hello everybody,

I got my red-billed oxpecker finished, on a groundwork of white rhino.
    Title: "If you scratch my back... (I"ll scratch yours)"
    The bird is about 1cm long, including the tail, so the detail might seem a little crude in these very much enlarged shots.

Any comments are very welcome!

best wishes,

Marijn

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
    Brakeet likes this.
  2. periklis_sale Member

Greece
    nice one mate, a bit unsual but very intresting!!!! More photos please??
  3. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Wonderfully creative piece of art! How in the world did you get the birds eyes so perfect?!

Jay H.
    OKC
  4. vergilius New Member

Belgium
  5. btavis Active Member

United-States
    Marijn, you have a very great skill at composition and subject matter. You have always demonstrated real talent in your vision. Great stuff.
  6. Marijn Van Gils New Member

Thanks guys!

I'm sorry Perikles, I don't have more pics at the moment. There is really nothing more to be seen, but I should take some new one without the yellowish light which affects the color on these ones.

Jay, just a matter of some patience, a sharp brush (W&N series 7, size 000), and retouchinging until I like the result.

Thanks a lot Bob! It should be easy to be creative with subject matter. Just a matter of transmitting your fascination of something that really interests you to the viewer. It helps of course to realise that everything, really everything, can be made as a model. But I don't need to tell you this... :)

Thanks again everybody!

Marijn
    gorgosaurus likes this.
  7. btavis Active Member

United-States
    So Marijn, when do you start making duck decoys?
  8. yeo_64 Active Member

Singapore
    GREAT JOB on the bird and rhino section, Marijn ;) !!!!!! WELL DONE !!!!
    Kenneth.
  9. Uruk-Hai PlanetFigure Supporter

Sweden
    Good work as allways, but I cant help to think of as some kind of obscene. ;)
    I dont know why it just is that way. Perhaps because it looks like his gonna peck the eye and swallow it like crows do with corpces?

It is however allways fascinating to see your work.

Cheers
  10. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Superb!

The oxpecker doesn't look crude to me, Marijn!

All the best,
    Dan
  11. ajthomas Member

Australia
    Really interesting piece...... with the bird only being 1cm long - amazing detail ! I'd love to see a reference shot to give us an idea as to the piece.

Adam.
  12. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Marijn, Fantastic. You defitiely give the term "thinking outside the box" a whole new meaning.~Gary
  13. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Marijn,
    Your work is becoming to art. Excellent work.

Marc
  14. thegoodsgt Active Member

United-States
    Marijn, excellent work! I really like these non-human "figures" you sculpt from time to time. It's nice to see something truly new and creative in our hobby.
  15. Major_Goose Well-Known Member

Greece
    Beautiful and inspiring work as always Marijn. I really like it
  16. Wendy Active Member

United-States
    That is so cool! I'm partial to animal sculpts myself. :)
    How inspiring. The rhino eye and skin and spot on as well.
  17. bonehead A Fixture

United-States
    That obscene Oxpecker.....

Hey Marijn,

Great to see this project finished. It is truly art! Janne thought the subject was obscene. Well, I don't share that opinion. But, the title could well be!! Since I am American and only being familiar with "new world" birds, the name "Oxpecker" is not familair to me. However, it does bring up visions of other subject matter that may be less savory......!!

Really, awesome and fun work. You rock man!! I am glad that you are bringing something new and original to our hobby. We can use more subjects that celebrate life as opposed to a celebration of war.

You are my hero!

Mike
  18. Uruk-Hai PlanetFigure Supporter

Sweden
    I just would like to clarify that I dont think it is obscene but that was actually the first feeling that struck me.

Youre one of the most inspringing persons weve got, dont you ever forget it. :)

Cheers
  19. Ulrich PlanetFigure Supporter

Germany
    Only amazing. And only 1 cm??? That is not my world, because I like the bigger ones, but I really like it.

Ulrich
  20. rafaelega Active Member

Spain
    Very Very Nice!!
    Can I ask you for a special gift the next time?
    Could you please make a "zoom-out" ? ;)

Rafa