1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique "Over the Top" Gloucestershire Regiment officer

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Tarracus, Aug 23, 2014.

1. Tarracus A Fixture

Hi All!
    This is my contribution to the WW1 remembrance, with this classic Model Cellar/ Carl Reid piece.
    There's still a lot of work to do, as can be seen the Webley revolver has suffered an amputation, so i've decided to share it at this stage because I don't know when it's going to be finished...
    I've replaced the original plinth for another one, trying to tell a very easy symbolism: the little poppy trying to get trough the barb wire (Will add an outer layer of barb wire)
    Flesh need still a lot of work, as the stick, the whistle is missing yet, some wheathering on helmet, and solve the revolver question are the next things to do...
    The regimental badge on the base is (supossed) to be an original one, but I've painted it with gold printer inks and some oil work, I think it matches better now with the painted figure, than leaving it on its original metallic appearance.
    Although barely visible, I've rendered the captain awared with Distinguished Conduct Medal and the King's South Africa Medal ribbons.. but have strong doubts about I've done it right..

IMG_3528.jpg
    Hope you like it! Any criticisms are welcomed

Cheers!

glo1.jpg glo2.jpg
    Inaki, BigDaddy, RFL and 28 others like this.
  2. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi ,

Very nice indeed ......will look great when you have sorted the couple of things out .

Ref the medals :

The DCM was instigated during the Crimea for bravery by other ranks in the field , with the SA medal this fellow has served a while so possible he was commissioned from the ranks .

The Officers equal was the DSO ..Distinguished Service Order

I have this and it is as you say a classic sculpt from Carl

This group is from a commissioned SNCO and includes both the DCM and MC as well as the DSO

From the left as you look :

D.S.O. (GV), M.C. (GV), D.C.M. (VR - Serjt. C.I.V.), Q.S.A. 5 clasps, C.C., Paard., Drief., Jo'burg, D. Hill (328 C. Sgt. S.G.L. Bradley. C.I.V.) , 1914 Star, with Bar (2.Lieut. D.C.M. 16-Lond.R.) B.W.M., Victory M.I.D. (Lt. Col.),

Lieutenant-Colonel S.G.L. Bradley, 16th Battalion London Regiment, Late Colour-Sergeant, City of London Imperial Volunteers

D.S.O. London Gazette 1.1.1918 Capt. (T./Lt. Col.) Samuel Glenholme Lennox Bradley, M.C., Lond. R.

M.C., Lond. R. M.C. London Gazette 3.6.1916 Lt. (temp. Maj.) Samuel Glenholme Lennox Bradley, 16th Bn., Lond. R., T.F.

D.C.M. London Gazette 27.9.1901 Sergeant S.G.L. Bradley, City of London Imperial Volunteers.

Thanks for sharing

Nap
    image.jpg
  3. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Great painting Gerard.
    The jacket looks very good.
    I will be looking forward to the next progress report.
    Cheers
    Keith
    Tarracus likes this.
  4. Funky50 Guest

Lovely painted bust and a great shot of a medal group as a collector of medals I always look at the ribbons depicted on models......A Nice touch on this bust.......Kevin
    Tarracus likes this.
  5. carl reid A Fixture

England
    Fantastic Garard!

Carl
    Tarracus likes this.
  6. bogusman53 Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Fantastic piece. I want one! I have the winter in the trenches and an original cap badge that goes with it, I had the same idea as you :) Will have to finish it, now where are my brushes?
    Tarracus likes this.
  7. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    This piece looks fantastic now, never mind when its finished. I especially love the pedestal; very simple symbolism, as you mentioned, but very effective. As a matter of interest, how did you recreate the barbed wire?

Nap, you have an uncanny knack for prompting me to go searching for more info every time you post. Mr Bradley was a bit of a badass it appears (DSO, MC, DCM and 6 x MiD) and 1 of only 4 people to be awarded the DSO, MC, DCM combo. His medal group is for sale (if you have a spare 16k in the petty cash).

Cheers,
    Billy :)
    napoleonpeart and Tarracus like this.
  8. Jeff T A Fixture

Australia
    Outstanding work Gerard!

Cheer's,
    Jeff.
    Tarracus likes this.
  9. flart1943 Active Member

England
    Great painting(y).
    Pete
    Tarracus likes this.
  10. swralph A Fixture

Looking really good.
    Tarracus likes this.
  11. WICKERMAN New Member

First of all may I say what a beautiful outstanding piece of work your model is I love it.
    Just a couple of small criticisms, one is that you can not be awarded the K.S.A. medal on its own he would also have had the Q.S.A. medal aswell.
    You could have the Q.S.A. medal on its own but not the other way around.
    The other thing is the Gloucesters cap badge was always made of white metal not brass (I not sure if they did an economy version during WW1?) most officers cap and collar badges were blackened down so they did not stand out.
    Tarracus likes this.
  12. Mike S. Well-Known Member

United-States
    Outstanding subject, sculpt, paintwork and presentation! A crackingly good piece.
    Scotty and Tarracus like this.
  13. Ventress Well-Known Member

England
    Brilliant job.
    Tarracus likes this.
  14. maco61 A Fixture

Italy
    Fantastic paintwork.
    Congratulations.
    Ciao by Maco
  15. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Really like this one gerrard,the painting is very well done and I like the barbed wire and poppy,a really nice touch that sets it off very well,(y)
    Tarracus likes this.
  16. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Stunning.(y)
    Tarracus likes this.
  17. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Very nice work here and a great setup .(y)
    Does anybody know if this bust is still available .
    Ron
    Tarracus likes this.
  18. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Awesome work.

marc
    Tarracus likes this.
  19. Tarracus A Fixture

Thanks Billy. For making the barbed wire you'll find lots of tutorials on the net. Specially among AFV communities. Here's an easy example:
    http://www.armorama.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=107
    Cheers
  20. Tarracus A Fixture

Thanks WICKERMAN. I'll repaint the medal with the KSA colours then and remove the brass from the collar badges

Cheers
    Gerard