1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

outlineing

Discussion in 'Painting Techniques' started by Gauntlet, Apr 12, 2006.

1. Gauntlet New Member

United-States
    what is a good medium to outline in, i paint in oil. Would Acrylic do for for a figure painted in oil?

Thank you
  2. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Steve,
    I guess it matters what it is your trying to outline. If your doing fine lines, as on clothing or a standard, I use my oils for that as well. I make sure the base colors are completely dry then mix the color I need. I then use a very small brush and very little paint and carefully paint the thin lines. Building up the color slowly as I go, almost as if drybrushing. The best part about the oils is that they stay "wet" for a long period of time. That allows plenty of time for corrections iff needed. I find acrylics dry a bit too fast for precision work. Maybe it's just me, but I can never finish before my mix is dried out. Enamels are somewhat the same way. Experiment on a plastic sheet or paper before starting. I think you'll find what works best! HTH,

Jay H.
    OKC
  3. Gauntlet New Member

United-States
    Thanks, Jay for the help, I am doing a 75mm Pavlov Grenadier which will be my 2nd figure. your reply, in how you explain it clicked with me. Thank you.
    ~Steve
  4. KeithP Active Member

United-States
    Oil - For outlining, you can also add a bit of linseed oil to improve the flow of the paint.

Keith
  5. PJ Deluhery Active Member

United-States
    I'm an oils guy, myself, but I do use acrylics - not for outlining. Oils dry slow, achieve an even, consistent flow, and are correctable (with a turps-damp brush) for a long time. Just be sure the undersurface is completely dry, and the oil paint is well-mixed and about the consistency of milk. Using a liner brush helps too.

I'm sure there are ways to get this same effect with acrylics, and someone will no doubt post that method here, but I find oils easier and quicker.
  6. Brad S Member

On my acrylic paint jobs I use either a sepia or a black waterbased ink. Mine is actually clayboard ink. It doesn't dry too fast, and is correctable for a while. Have had good luck with it so far.

Brad Spelts