1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Critique Oriental Pirate, Sk Miniatures

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Andrew Craft, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Andrew Craft Well-Known Member

Australia
    Hi all,
    I put the last touches on this bust today. It's a great bust, nice and clean with plenty of detail. Hopefully I did it justice.
    As always it's acrylics with metal pigments in places. Feel free to comment or critique honestly and thanks for looking.

Andrew.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349854282.059724.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349854302.724916.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349854321.142628.jpg
    nelly-samy and Tarracus like this.
  2. Einion Well-Known Member

Lookin' good Andrew! This really turned out nice.

I can't remember, do you have an airbrush? Wanted to suggest a few things which would be easier to do by spraying than by hand.

Einion
  3. Andrew Craft Well-Known Member

Australia
    Thanks Einion,
    Unfortunately I don't have an airbrush. Just the brushes at the moment.
    I'd still love to hear though I may get one eventually.

Andrew.
  4. Gellso A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    He looks superb mate. You've nailed the gold braiding and the shirt pattern looks awesome. It's probably the photos but it looks like the headgear could do with more contrast. Even just a dark red pinwash into the creases will make it stand out more and maybe some dark browns washes onto the fur to give a wee bit more variation.
    All in all a superb piece Andrew.
  5. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Excellent finish Andrew.
    Carl.(y)
  6. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Lovely work Andrew, especially the patterned shirt and fur.

Roger.
  7. Mark S Guest

Beautifully painted Andrew, and the pics perfectly show your work so far.
    Looking forward to seeing the final result on this piece.
  8. Einion Well-Known Member

On the skin, one of the things often done by airbrushers who also do spattering is to subdue them a bit with light overspray (what's called a mist coat). It makes them 'sit down' more so they look more like they're in the skin than on it. You can do the same thing by brush though, with careful glazing.

The other airbrushing thing I was going to suggest is to help with consistent topside lighting, using zenithal spraying of some kind.

Einion
  9. Andrew Craft Well-Known Member

Australia
    Thanks Einion, I do admit I did do the specs a bit darker than I should have which made them harder to go over with the glazes but its a lesson learnt. I'm still not sure about using that technique and wonder if it adds anything to the paintwork or not. But for the moment I think I'll keep trying to perfect it.
    As for the zenithal lighting that's something I think I just need to be more careful with where I place my highlights and shadows while I'm still using a brush.
    I appreciate the comments though there's always something new to learn and improve on.

Andrew.
  10. Andrew Craft Well-Known Member

Australia
    Thanks Grant, Carl, Roger and Mark for taking the time to comment I appreciate the input.

Andrew.
  11. SPrimeau Active Member

United-States
    Really nice Andrew, I like the effect on the skin with the spots...gives him a freckled complexion. Too often we paint skin tones in "too perfect" complexions. This looks great!
    Scott
  12. bagelman1952 Well-Known Member

England
  13. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Looks good Andrew ,pattern on the shirt is first class ,the spots on the face is this a new thing you are trying .
    Gellso is right the headgear could do with a bit of contrast,you'v nailed the golds and the whites also (y)

Ron
  14. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Perfectly painted bust.
    I'm very curious about the pattern on the shirt.....how you paint that.

Marc
  15. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Great painting and I second Marc on the patterns.
    Cheers
    John
  16. Andrew Craft Well-Known Member

Australia
    Thanks Scott, Ken, Ron, Marc and John I'm glad you like it.
    The shirt is all freehand it's the same pattern just repeated over and over again, nothing complex but I did get halfway done with it and wonder why I decided to do it in the first place.

Andrew.
  17. Christos Well-Known Member

Greece
    Looks Great Andrew!!!!!