1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Order of Alcántara

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Figure Mad, May 12, 2009.

1. Figure Mad Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Guys

This is a test piece for me as I haven’t done much along these lines only one or two pieces. 54mm Pegaso, depicting the Order of Alcántara, A Spanish order of knights under the order of the Knights of Calatrava. Now I am prepared to take some stick and guidance on this as the information on this order is pretty sketchy, even though the order of Calatrava still kind of exists today.

The figure its self has really stood up to the test of time and is still one of the best sellers for Pegaso, says a lot for the sculpting of Pietro Balloni

I look forward to the comments

Dave

Attached Files:

2. rej Well-Known Member

Malta
    Dave that's some white painting you've pulled!!! Subtle shading all the way, really spot on mate!! Even the green coat of arms is very nice!!! I leave the stick to the experts :D

Yes you're right, that figure stood the test of time as did his counterpart (the one fighting on the steps) mine will be done by my two nephews for Euro as they fell in love with them both, so not to break their hearts, they're assambled and waiting for the summer hols :)

Keep them brushes wet and keep safe.........

Ray ;)
  3. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Excellent painting on a classic figure Dave.
  4. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Excellent work Dave.
    There is indeed not much information about these order.

Marc
  5. trevi Member

Spain
    Excellent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  6. "Tarakaman" New Member

United-States
    Love the heraldery on this piece!!! Great job Dave!!
  7. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Dave
    Great heraldry and a nicely painted figure.
    Cheers
    John
  8. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Beautiful work here Dave.

Jay H.
    Okc
  9. Tommi A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Beautiful painting Dave on a fine figure, the blends on the whites look spot on, very sharp and neat heraldry design also, I always look foward too seeing your work.
    Cheers
    Tommi
  10. Christos Well-Known Member

Greece
    Looks great Dave,I didn't know anything about this order of knights,I like their heraldry!
    Beautiful painting
    christos
  11. daniel Well-Known Member

France
    O)

Very good paint Dave

Daniel
  12. Ernest A Fixture

Venezuela
    Amazing work, simple but outstanding!
  13. Aterz Active Member

Italy
    great work and excellent painting of heraldry!

regards from Italy
    Andrea
  14. brian A Fixture

Scotland
    Really nice painted figure Dave.I like it a lot.
    Brian
  15. davidmitchell A Fixture

Scotland
    Fantastic painting Dave, great whites.

Cheers David
  16. Yep mate this on is all round classic!

Everyone who loves medieval has to do one eh? By co-incidence mine happened to be a Hospitaller ... how come???? ; )

I like the whites and weathering on the shield, the cross is very well executed/ Remote subject mate but managed to show off another masterpiece! Where is the other one?

PROSIT!

Ivan
  17. Figure Mad Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Thanks guys

This is a lovely little figure and as Ivan said everybody who paints knights of any sort has one of these. thanks again for the comments.

Ivan - this is actually just a trial piece for me to have a go at doing the heraldry, and I just enjoyed it so much, I think that’s down to the figure as well. But the others will be done at some stage soon.

Thanks again

Dave
  18. petermh Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Dave excellent painting particularly the rendition of the heraldry
    In his book "The Wars of the Crusades" Terence Wise states regarding the knights of Calatrava,
    "on active service a long sleeveless surcoat was worn and sometimes a fur lined cloak.The order had no insigna but the armour was always black"
    I prefer your interpretation
  19. Figure Mad Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Peter

I too, have some of the info from that book, (Thanks Ivan), its quite interesting that even on some other websites the reference points to white for the Order of Alcántara, and black for the Order of Calatrava, one or two the other way round and even both black its just a bit hard to figure out the final outcome really, I even tried the consensus of opinion, but again this seem to give me many answers, so that left me with the percentages, so I went with the highest percentage info I had, and this was the result, I just hope its OK...... thanks Peter

I will try to go towards black on the others that I may do.

Thanks again guys
  20. rheath Active Member

South-Africa
    Knight

This is beautiful work Dave very artistic figure painting.

Thanks very much for posting. RobH.