1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Orc - Gigantic Miniatures 90mm

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Babelfish, Nov 24, 2020.

1. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    In 2010 a fantasy modeller by the name of Chris Clayton caused a bit of a stir when he won Best of Show at Euro with a piece called "Dragonslayer" that he'd sculpted and painted himself.

He then sent up his own (short-lived) company called Gigantic Miniatures, via which he released a number of his own fantasy sculpts commercially before the company (along with Mr. Clayton himself apparently) suddenly vanished.

I picked this one up from his stand at Figure World in 2011, took it home, part assembled it …… and then pretty much forgot about it for the next 9 years. Until this summer, when I decided that it was high time to dig it out, sling some paint at it and get it done.

So the Orc is now finished & based up, but strictly speaking it's still a WIP because I still need to do the groundwork, which I plan on being suitably "Mordor-ish" in keeping with the subject.

Orc (1).jpg Orc (2).jpg Orc (3).JPG Orc (4).jpg Orc (5).jpg

- Steve
    KenBoyle, Nap, Viking Bob and 2 others like this.
  2. Airkid A Fixture

England
    Nice work Steve. Mean dude, he'd easily get a job with Lukashenko's OMON. I vaguely recall Chris Clayton's work which was very innovative. Wonder what happened to him?

Phil
    Babelfish likes this.
  3. Redcap A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Great sombre colours and effects on this piece Steve - oils or acrylics mate?
    Gary
    Babelfish likes this.
  4. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Nice to see the grey army getting an airing, 9 years.
    Nice colours and look forward to seeing you base this one.
    Babelfish likes this.
  5. Graham A Fixture

England
    Love this, the colours are spot on in my opinion, great subject to (y)
    Babelfish likes this.
  6. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Steve

I remember seeing Chris's BOS ....jaw dropping to say the least ...think it was the first fantasy to ever win the award ?

Something different and boy is he ugly ! .....nice painting on both him and the armour

Look forward to seeing the basework

Thanks for sharing

Happy benchtime

Nap
    Babelfish likes this.
  7. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Gary. My usual oils-over-acrylics method, plus various thin dark oil washes & filters to try and subtly vary the tones, finished off a few good old-fashioned drybrushed highlights here and there (no longer "fashionable" but still a useful technique I find). The metallics are all from Dark Star, best ones on the market IMHO.

I think you're right on that Kev yes.

- Steve
  8. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Phil. His star shone brightly for 2 or 3 years following his Euro win, and then he just seemed to disappear.

He did a large-scale futuristic female sci-fi bust called "Hush" which was limited to 50 units. It is now much sought-after and goes for daft money on the rare occasions that one comes up for sale.

- Steve
    Airkid likes this.
  9. tock24 Active Member

United-Kingdom
    This is looking good! Will be following, picking up pointers! I have this figure, plus another orc and an elf, all by Gigantic Miniatures. Some sort of vignette comes to mind! Helms Deep anyone?
    Ian
    Babelfish likes this.