1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Optivisor

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by stev1eran, Jun 18, 2006.

1. stev1eran Member

Hi guys,
    I have read that the optivisor is a useful tool for figure painting and I wondered if anyone can give me any advice on purchasing one. In particular: a. is it worth it ?
    b. what lens would you recommend? as there seem to be at least 5 different types.
    c. what would I expect to pay? as I have only seen them on ebay.
    Thanks
    Steve
  2. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Steve,
    I don't work without mine. I love it, and my wife is especially fond of it (that's sarcasim if you didn't see it!). Seriously, I do virtually all my work with one and highly recomend them. Mine came with a #5 lense, but I have switched to a #7 for a bit more magnification. I have rarely wanted more magnification, only when working on the smallest of tasks. The #5 was adequate, you will have to decide what is most comfortable for you. Not the cheapest type of magnification, but for me at least, more of an investement, and less of an expense, if you know what I mean. HTH,

Jay H.
    OKC
  3. Figure Mad Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Steve

I use a 10x Optivisor, I paid £35.00, the best £35.00 I ever spent on modelling tools, worth every penny... :)

I got mine from a watch repairers, just around the corner from my work, if you can find one near you it might be a better bet

Dave
  4. stev1eran Member

Jay, Dave,
    Thanks guys thats all I need to know.
    I have seen the standard of your figures Dave, so I think it will be money well spent :)
    Cheers
    Steve
  5. Brad S Member

Excellent investment! I agree with Jay. The #5 lens was adequate but recently got a #7 lens and I like that too. Will probably use them both.
  6. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Jay,

I have an optivisor from a juweler. It is 7# and i can do nothing without it. It is worth every €. I payed 35 Euro for it.

marc
  7. Bluesking Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Steve I have had one for years and couldn't live without it ! Check out the small ads in Mil. Mod. etc, you'll see them advertised.
  8. Rob Brown Member

United-States
    I have an Optivisor and also a cheaper version of one I picked up at one of those traveling tool sales. I actually use the cheaper one way more because it has two lenses on it, you flip down a second lens for stronger magnification. Plus it has a small magnifying glass that can also be flipped down for super mag (about 10x). I highly recommend using one, I couldn't do anything anymore without these.
  9. stev1eran Member

Thanks for the advice Guys,
    I have just found myself one on E Bay buy it now, brand new No7 from the States.
    Cost is a very reasonable £23 including shipping. I cant grumble at that :)
    Steve