1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Optivisor loupe

Discussion in 'Tools of the Trade/Accessories' started by Banjer, Dec 24, 2020.

1. Banjer Well-Known Member

England
    I have just treated myself to a genuine Optivisor to replace a cheapy clone. It is a great piece of kit and I am considering adding the optional loupe.
    I am concerned the focal distance with x 5 magnification will make painting difficult.

Has anyone used one?.

Cheers Bill
  2. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Hi Bill, l agree it is a superb bit of kit. I have two a.5 for prep work and a .75 for painting. I bought the loupe with my first optivisor but find it is just too high a magnification for painting so it doesn't get used.

I have sometimes used it to check out for seam lines before priming or see what sort of mess I've made of painting and eye...lol, but is it an essential add on....no.

Have a good Xmas

Keith
    Banjer likes this.
  3. Banjer Well-Known Member

England
    Thanks Keith,
    As I suspected, not really practical for painting.
    I have ordered a lookalike by Grobet for £5 including delivery. It's supposed to be glass, not plastic, so worth a punt.

Happy Christmas to you too.

Bill
  4. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    Didn't the Optivisor come with a loupe attached over the right eye? I didn't know they had a model without one. If it didn't come with one, I would definitely order one. I use the loupe on mine all the time for extra focus.

Prost!
    Brad
  5. Banjer Well-Known Member

England
    Hi Brad,
    All the optivisors I have seen for sale in UK don't have a loupe as standard. It's a rather expensive optional extra. That's why I opted for the Grobet one. Grobet are a US company, do you know of them? Their loupe is 1/3rd the price of the Donegal one. I just hope it isn't 1/3rd of the quality.

Cheers
    Bill
    theBaron likes this.
  6. yellowcat A Fixture

Canada
    Hi Bill,
    I have two loupes which I bought years ago when they were on sale. I seldom used it. It is better off for you to purchase a different magnification lens plate.

lope.jpg

Cheers,

Felix
  7. Banjer Well-Known Member

England
    Hi Felix,
    I did have my doubts as to their usefulness which is why I only invested £5. More out of curiosity than anything.

Cheers

Bill
  8. gazer Active Member

Israel
    Hey Bill,

Here is my modest experience:
    I, also, have the original Optivisor with X2.5 magnification and I am very satisfied with them. Later, I bought the extra loupe for extra magnification as needed. Like Felix, I found that Ihardly use the loupe. The thing is, that you "pay" for magnification with shorter focal length, ie, for a larger magnification you have shorter working distance where the object (=the miniature and the brush) are in focus, and that can be quite uncomfortable.
    Now, an extreme solution, would be to have custom made loupes with the desired magnification AND a longer focal length, but that would be VERY expensive. For example, some surgeons need magnification of X2.5 or X3.5, but also need a much longer working distance of about 40-50cm. Average custom made surgical loups cost at around 1500$

Cheers,

Benny
    Banjer likes this.
  9. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Bill,
    I have posted this just about every time this type of thread comes up.
    I took a 54mm head into the opticians when I got my eyes tested and told him I wanted to paint these. I normally do 120mm scale. He done a custom prescription and I went to Select Specs (on line) to get my glasses which cost me about £25.
    The real advantage of this is
    Custom made to your eyes
    Comfortable fit
    No cumbersome head band
    No problem judging distance
    Don't get a sweaty head of the head band
    Etc

Cheers
    Richie
    DaddyO, Nap, Graham and 1 other person like this.
  10. Banjer Well-Known Member

England
    Hi Richie,
    I followed your advice, as above, in answer to a previous post I made about magnification. This works very well and I use them all the time. I use the glasses and optivisor in combination when I need extra help for my tired 73 year old eyes. The added loupe gives great magnification to see detail, it does not allow room to manoeuvre a paintbrush but at least I am aware of it being there.:)

I fully endorse your advice regarding custom spectacles.

Cheers

Bill
    DaddyO, Mike - The Kiwi, Nap and 3 others like this.
  11. Nap A Fixture

England
    Like many I have a loupe , it was on my opti for years .......never used it ......too high a magnification likecKeith says

Richie's comments are good points to consider

Nap
  12. Alex A Fixture

Canada
    I have two binocular magnifiers (made in USA), each fitted with a different lens plate of different magnification.
    The only time when I will switch to the higher magnification one is when painting 54mm face details or eye details on larger figures or busts. I wear my magnifier 100% of the time and always over my spectacles.
    Nap likes this.