1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Optivisor advise

Discussion in 'Just starting...' started by Bryan, Dec 7, 2019.

1. Bryan Member

Getting back to figure painting after being ill.I know this has been covered before.But realised I need an optivisor.I understand Donegan are a good product.Or is there any better without being silly price
    Also unsure which one to order in terms of focal distance.Cheers all
  2. MCPWilk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
  3. Bryan Member

Cracking idea Thanks
  4. Banjer Active Member

England
    On the advise from Richie on this forum I had some magnifying spectacles prescribed for close up work. They magnify 3x but also correct any vision defects ( I am longsighted). I got the prescription from a High Street optician but I had them made up by Glasses Direct for about £20, money well spent. On Richies advise I took a 54mm head with me and used this to get the best focus.

Bill
  5. Bryan Member

I have to wear reading glasses and glasses for distance
  6. Hawk_Uk PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    I am with Bill when I got my glasses check and new prescription I had a pair made for close work.
  7. KenBoyle PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Hi Bryan. I normally wear glasses for nearsightedness and had a pair of close up prescription glasses made. While they certainly helped painting, other issues cropped up. When I looked up from painting to select another color, wash my brush, check reference material, etc, they made it difficult to see something a couple feet away.

I switched to an optivisor that I wear over my normal glasses which can be flipped up when looking up from painting. It also came with multiple strength lenses. Switching lenses is somewhat of a pain, but I use a stronger lens for 28mm figures than for 75mm.

Both approaches work but the optivisor was best for me. There are several brands available and mine just happen to be from Magnify Labs. I picked them because the lenses were glass instead of plastic and don't scratch as easily. The cost was less than a single 54mm figure. About $25 US on Amazon.

Cheers
    Ken
  8. JasonB A Fixture

United-States
    I'm cheap. I am far sighted, so anything within about 4 feet becomes a blur. I wear reading glasses of about 1.5x for using the computer, etc, but if I need some close up work, as on a figure, I just layers another pair of readers on top of these to get more magnification. Ridiculous sounding I know, but it works, and there have been times when a 3rd pair have been added...o_O
    KenBoyle likes this.
  9. balder PlanetFigure Supporter

Canada
    I use this. I purchased off Amazon for around $25 I think. It has separate lenses 1x to 3.5x that snap into the frame. There’s an led light built in. You can switch out the arms for a headband. Does the trick for me.
    0A7C442A-4114-4F4E-81D2-F331B615E42C.jpeg
    oldtrousers and KenBoyle like this.
  10. Jimmy S Well-Known Member

Australia
    I also use this one for the real close up stuff....