1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Optivisor advise

Discussion in 'Just starting...' started by Bryan, Dec 7, 2019.

1. Bryan Member

Getting back to figure painting after being ill.I know this has been covered before.But realised I need an optivisor.I understand Donegan are a good product.Or is there any better without being silly price
    Also unsure which one to order in terms of focal distance.Cheers all
  2. MCPWilk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
  3. Bryan Member

Cracking idea Thanks
  4. Banjer A Fixture

England
    On the advise from Richie on this forum I had some magnifying spectacles prescribed for close up work. They magnify 3x but also correct any vision defects ( I am longsighted). I got the prescription from a High Street optician but I had them made up by Glasses Direct for about £20, money well spent. On Richies advise I took a 54mm head with me and used this to get the best focus.

Bill
  5. Bryan Member

I have to wear reading glasses and glasses for distance
  6. Hawk_Uk PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    I am with Bill when I got my glasses check and new prescription I had a pair made for close work.
  7. KenBoyle PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Hi Bryan. I normally wear glasses for nearsightedness and had a pair of close up prescription glasses made. While they certainly helped painting, other issues cropped up. When I looked up from painting to select another color, wash my brush, check reference material, etc, they made it difficult to see something a couple feet away.

I switched to an optivisor that I wear over my normal glasses which can be flipped up when looking up from painting. It also came with multiple strength lenses. Switching lenses is somewhat of a pain, but I use a stronger lens for 28mm figures than for 75mm.

Both approaches work but the optivisor was best for me. There are several brands available and mine just happen to be from Magnify Labs. I picked them because the lenses were glass instead of plastic and don't scratch as easily. The cost was less than a single 54mm figure. About $25 US on Amazon.

Cheers
    Ken
  8. JasonB Moderator

United-States
    I'm cheap. I am far sighted, so anything within about 4 feet becomes a blur. I wear reading glasses of about 1.5x for using the computer, etc, but if I need some close up work, as on a figure, I just layers another pair of readers on top of these to get more magnification. Ridiculous sounding I know, but it works, and there have been times when a 3rd pair have been added...o_O
    KenBoyle likes this.
  9. balder PlanetFigure Supporter

Canada
    I use this. I purchased off Amazon for around $25 I think. It has separate lenses 1x to 3.5x that snap into the frame. There’s an led light built in. You can switch out the arms for a headband. Does the trick for me.
    0A7C442A-4114-4F4E-81D2-F331B615E42C.jpeg
    oldtrousers and KenBoyle like this.
  10. Jimmy S Well-Known Member

Australia
    I also use this one for the real close up stuff....
  11. fogie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Me too, Bryan Swap the arms for the included headband and you can use it with your specs. Flip up the lenses
    to stop yourself bumping into things when you move about......... or, heaven forbid, spilling your glass of whatever
    you use to help with the concentration.

Mike
  12. Bob Orr Active Member

United-Kingdom
    I got this one from Squires at a model rail show recently for £9.99. Has LED Lighting and a selection of lenses. Light and comfortable and works great. Bob
    magnifier.jpg
  13. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    I use an Optivisor clone, but I recently I bought myself a variant of the magnifier Balder and Bob Orr have shown. Mine has lenses that are cut to rectangular shape, but otherwise, the design is the same.

It's taking me a while to get used to the weight on the bridge of my nose. I wore glasses when I was a kid, and I use non-prescription drug store reading glasses now, for some things. But the nose piece on this particular viewer is uncomfortable. It's not a mystery-it's got the weight of the lenses, plus the headpiece, with its batteries. I will probably get used to it, but that's something to consider.

I still like my Optivisor, though it's wearing out. I can't flip down the second set of lenses, because the spring that held them in place broke. Also, I'm very used to the loupe over the right eye. Its major drawback for me is the lack of a light aimed along the line of sight. It was for that reason that I bought the other style of magnifier. Even with a well-lighted workbench, I find it useful to have that additional light aimed along my line of sight on the piece. When I eventually have to replace my Optivisor, I'll get one with lights mounted in the headpiece.

Also, the loupe on the Optivisor has higher magnification than the maximum magnification on the "glasses"-style magnifier.

Either way, I need to have the magnification close to my eyes. I have tried working with an illuminated magnifier, the kind with a large lens in the center and a ring of lights around it. I found it difficult to work with the magnification so far away from my face. I imagine that, too, would take practice, if I wanted to use such a magnifier.

Prost!
    Brad
  14. Bryan Member

I’ve just bought a Donegan Optivisor DA-7 taking a bit of getting use to.
    I toyed with the 5 but ended up with the 7.
  15. Kimmo A Fixture

I've been using a cheap headband boxy lens type for years. I have progressive glasses for daily wear and use a pair of prescription reading glasses with the "optivisor" for all my painting and modeling and haven't had any vision related issues from using it a lot. I like the headband as it attaches firmly to your head and doesn't interfere with my glasses and flips up out of the way. There is an adjustment period for your depth of field, the same if you need a noticeably stronger prescription for your glasses, or when you get your first pair. Other than that, best 20ish bucks I've spent. The LEDs are usually crap and not worth the extra if you can get a model without them cheaper. The only advantage I can think of with a brand name vs copy, is that the lenses will probably be better quality, mine were fine and don't have any distortion. The disadvantage with getting prescription reading glasses with magnification is that your eyesight will change over time and you'll need a new pair every so often. If price was not an issue, I'd go with custom made reading with magnification and get a clip on lens for extra boost if needed.

Kimmo
    theBaron likes this.