1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Opinions please: primer colors,which one to use?

Discussion in 'Painting Techniques' started by Chris Kelm, Apr 18, 2019.

1. Chris Kelm Active Member

United-States
    I would like to know,what's the difference when using different color primers? I was told at my local show, that it doesn't really matter what color you use, white,gray or black.
    I really need your opinions since I've been using white but been told that you shouldn't use that color.
    Thank you,
    Chris
  2. ghamilt1 A Fixture

Canada
    How about both? I shoot my figures with black, and then, after determining from which direction the light source is coming, I give it a shot of white from above.
    harrytheheid and BillW like this.
  3. hypertex Active Member

United-States
    It's all a matter of personal preference. There is no universally accepted 'best' or 'correct' approach. For me, I avoid priming in black. But others will only prime in black. If you prime in white, keep priming in white. I usually white, but sometimes gray. No one can tell the difference.
    Try this the next show you go to: look at all the models and see if you can determine which color of primer they used. I bet no one will be able to tell. We usually paint opaquely, so the primer coat is covered up regardless.
    By the way, I avoid the advice of people who dogmatically say "never' this or 'always' that. It's a very narrow minded approach.
    malc, harrytheheid and grasshopper like this.
  4. Chris Kelm Active Member

United-States
    Thanks guys. I will stick to what works for me!
    Chris
  5. harrytheheid A Fixture

United-Kingdom

I've done this a couple of times and found it helpful, but mostly use whatever color of primer I lay my hands on first.
    One exception is when I want a high gloss finish I use a black gloss primer. I'm probably fooling myself but it seems to make the gloss finish shine even more.
  6. harrytheheid A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I'm with you on that one, all the way....(y)(y)(y)
  7. yellowcat A Fixture

Canada
  8. harrytheheid A Fixture

United-Kingdom

It's just my opinion of course, but there's nothing wrong with trying out something new.
    However, if you're happy priming with white and want to stick with it, then there's nothing wrong with that either.
    :)
  9. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    Absolutely it can matter, depending on the technique you use to apply your color coats. The color of the primer can definitely impact the color of the coats applied over them. A light primer can lighten them, a dark primer can darken them. For example, If I have to paint white, yellow, or red, and I want the top color to be brighter, I'll prime with white or light gray.

Prost!
    Brad
    blaster and Blind Pew like this.
  10. BESPJL Active Member

Portugal
    Hi Chris,

I use gray because I think is a more neutral color for the base colors.
    theBaron likes this.