1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Open to critique...

Discussion in 'Just starting...' started by Wado_Phil, Oct 9, 2005.

1. Wado_Phil New Member

Hi all...

Okay, here goes...we all have to start somewher so I have decided to 'take the plunge' so to speak and your feedback on any of the piccies would be appreciated!

Cheers,
    Phil

http://www.kitpic.com/ss.php?fid=1187
  2. Jim Patrick Active Member

United-States
    Phil, I can't see the picture. Strage given as how I have a kitpic account. Regardless, here's a step by step on how to post the image in your post instead of a link. All you need to do is edit your post ;) .

Click Me!

Jim Patrick
  3. Wado_Phil New Member

Hi Jim...err and anyone else that has the same problem...I can get to the link alright..Can that be right?
    Jim, I have sent you an email...apologies to everyone and I do hope that this has not added steel to the reviews!!!

cheers,
    Phil

think I have sussed it....
    lets try this...
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
  4. Uruk-Hai PlanetFigure Supporter

Sweden
    Hi Phil and welcome to the Planet!

From your pictures I can see that you paint very well due to the many fine patterns on the native americans. In my opinion there could be more contrast in highlights and shadows in your work. And perhaps some outlining of certain details.
    I really like the feathers.

Glad to have you here among us. :)
  5. Wado_Phil New Member

Hi Janne,

Appreciated that...I was expecting something a lot worse than that I can assure you!

These were completed a few years ago and now that I have 'come full circle' I do intend to look at my work a little closer to try and improve. I do tend to learn from afticles and the like so have been stocking up with lots of books and reading sites such as these and realsie that there is a long way to go...but hey, it will not improve unless you try...I will hopefully (If I can get my head around it) try and get photos of all my "Beginner-pieces" onto one area...

Loads to do now...Samurai's (all shapes and sizes)...

Cheers,
    Phil
  6. Jim Patrick Active Member

United-States
    phil, first of all (and apollogies for not doing it sooner :( ), WELCOME to the planet.
    Why? There is absoutely nothing wrong with your work. Very nice detail you have there ;) (y) . Like Janne said, take your highs and lows just a bit further. Especially the fleshtones but your really not far off. They look good. Look forward to seeing your samurai's.

Jim Patrick
  7. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Welcome to PF, Phil! Looks great to me!

All the best,
    Dan
  8. Roy New Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Phil...and welcome to the planet
    You have some very nice looking classic pieces...and if you're up for making improvements in any way, this is the place to be..with a lot of excellent painters willing to offer their advice.

What are the samurais' that you have ready to go..??..I also have a bit of a passion for figures of that type...

All the best.

Roy.
  9. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Phil,

Welcome to the planet. What i see now is what the others have said.
    some more contrast into your figure's.
    Further it is extremely well done.

Marc
  10. Wado_Phil New Member

Hi all...

To say that I’m amazed at your responses is an understatement...and the wife has put diver’s boots on to keep my feet on the ground as...I will explain.

I like most kids in the 60's -70's did all the Airfix etc I then progressed to all the Tamiya F1 kits in big scale, tanks...then drifted off.
    Now, come forward to the late 90's, I have a boy and at 3 mths, he has the Scalextric and everything else for the next ten years...and I saw a Model show in a town near me...went along and saw a few figures...HOOKED!!!! The Plains Indian was the first one I completed, followed by the Pawnee and a few others. As soon as I can I will get a full set of piccies up for all to see and I’ll add as and when I can. I have noticed a few unfinished that I want to complete.
    I have managed to get hold of an original un-started Ray Lamb "Taisho" and would you believe it, I found another one I must have started in the 80's in the loft! So should get it right with two attempts. I also have a few new ones (Roy) like the new Seil figure, the Pegaso Warrior with Naginata and also Kato Kiyomasa bust by Fort Duqusne? and the 1/8th Samurai bust from Andrea...so enough to keep me going along with Gladiators, Greeks, another conquistador 120mm and a great Orc bust etc....when the heck will I play golf?

I appreciate the comments and I will endeavour to 'apply' them, I have always worked in oils & enamels as they, to me, are a joy to work with. Slower, yes, but I feel easier to use.
    Once again, many thanks to all and please feel free to drop me a line anytime with hints, tips...

Cheers,
    P
  11. Wado_Phil New Member

If anyone is looking for these pictures and would I would welcome all comments please...as I want to improve...

apologies...I have now created a gallery and inadvertantly overwritten the photos that were there..however, there are (I hope!) some better pictures in the gallery...

Cheers,
    Phil
  12. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Welcome to the planet Phil. It seems you have the same interests as myself. The Native Americans have long been a passion of mine and I have also, as you have, ordered the Seil Samurai Commander. I have acquired the Poste Militaire Samurai's and hope to make the attempt this winter to delve into the world of the Samurai. I agree with the other comments and the contrast needs to be increased. With each new figure try to increase your contrast until you have reached the level you want. It takes time.
  13. Wado_Phil New Member

Guy,

Cheers for that, I have been in the loft rummaging around and I have just found the Japan Collection - the uniform, bow & arrows and the sword stand that Post M did...I do remember starting these so will keep all updated when finished in the gallery...I cannot believe what I have found up there so now, I really have quite a few to finish off, start etc...

I think I may need a bit more time with the photography bit as well!

Any and all comments welcomed...I am quite a sponge for info regarding my hobbies!

Cheers,

Wado_Phil