1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

"One way ticket"

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Marijn Van Gils, Jun 7, 2006.

1. Marijn Van Gils New Member

Hello everybody,

this is vignette I'm currently working on.

It is a section of a railcar with two German soldiers, amongst the first to leave to the front in 1914. The atmosphere of that moment was very optimist: both armies thought they would get a quick victory and the war would be over by christmas. Next to the expression of the figures, graffitti on the railcar should express this. But the title hints to their more bitter fate...

The faces are Hornet (the right one has its brow heightened), as are the hands. Sculpting is done with Magic Sculp, and some Duro for the hairs. What I really like about this one, is the fact that the vignette is in reality nothing more than two busts with arms.

All comments and criticisms are very welcome!

Best wishes,

Marijn

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  2. Marijn Van Gils New Member

I'm now in the process of painting. Here you have the faces and hats already:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  3. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Another cracker Marijn, nice work.

Roger.
  4. Milorg Member

Norway
    Hello Marijn

Looks like you stick to your plans aswell :lol:

Its incredible how you manage to show a great story, even on small areas like this.
    Great set up and as usual sculping at its best.

Keep those WW1 jewels coming!

Cheers
    Per Olav
  5. John Long Active Member

United-States
    Another great job Marijn. You may get bored hearing that, but maybe not.
  6. DaveCox Member

United-Kingdom
    Great idea, and well portrayed in the model. Should look even better finished with the graffitti etc.
  7. Figure Mad Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Marijn

Another piece of photographic sculpture, you have a superb way of capturing a moment in time

just Brilliant

Dave
  8. arthur Member

Canada
    Marijn,
    I love it !!!
    You have captured the moment superbly.
    And the sculpting ofcourse is top notch as always.
    Thanks for sharing with us the progress of this project.
    Cheers,
    A.
  9. Roy New Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Marijn..many congratulations on another great work beautifully realised..I can't wait to see it in the flesh this year at Euro..it's work like yours that makes me try a little harder everytime I sit down at my bench...superb stuff..!!

All the best...Roy.
  10. Markus Well-Known Member

Germany
    Hello Marijn,

what a beautiful scene. You always keep me stunning and your works are always a great inspiration for me - or us...

Take care,
    Markus
  11. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Marijn,

Great piece. I like it. What about the two guys in the (dugout) are yelling at the german and english who are playing soccer in no mansland in 1914 (y)

Just sculpting some more guys with a football. Looks great to me. :)

Again; Great work.

marc
  12. Uruk-Hai PlanetFigure Supporter

Sweden
    Good work there Marijn.

Good idea and composition. They have the aura of the time.

Cheers
  13. m@rp Active Member

Belgium
    Hi Marijn,

Another piece of art released of your goldfingers.
    A very good vignette.
    Very nice painting job.

Meanwhile,may I suggest something to you is that I think that the limit between the face (skinpart) and hairs is too straight. You can add some thin lines in the aim to simulate the source of the hairs.
    Do you know what I mean?

Keep up the good work Marijn!

Pascal

My personal website > Figurines-Histoire-Passion
  14. Excatlon Active Member

Poland
    vry good topic for this dio

all the best
  15. Cicero New Member

Albania
    Hi Marijn,

You did it again with this project. Very, very original and narrative idea supplemented by beautiful facial expressions.

However if you allow me I would like to make one remark: IMHO the hairline of the German without cap seems a bit artificial. The first thing that came up with me was the razor sharp hairdress of an Afro-American moviestar à la Eddie Murphy. I add a link so you know what I mean ( http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000552/ ).

But apart from this, I only can express my honest admiration for so much talent (and hard sustained work to get there of course).

Best regards

Johan ;)
  16. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Marijn, Yet another masterpiece in the making. Are you going to paint a section of grafitti on the railcar?~Gary
  17. bonehead A Fixture

United-States
    Marijn,

Yet more modeling brilliance from your talented hands.

Having said that, it is not your masterful modeling that most surprises me, but your continual supply of original ideas. This is so simple, yet different from anything I have seen. It reminds me of the brilliant song writing and performing of Jack White. Always simple and always dazzling in its originality and "soul".

I am becoming a huge fan!

I can't wait to see what you come up with next.

Awesome!

Mike
  18. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Again Marijn, it's the originality of your ideas that really impresses us all again. I'm sure we all look forward to seeing your projects as they turn out. Look forward to seeing this in the flesh as well!
  19. Wooow my dear friend!

Your a master! Keep these WW1 subjects coming ... we surely have a nice chat again this Euro as I am being hooked with this period as well ... hope in the near future I'll be able to send some images of my current project [a german officer I am converting from a DML figure] so maybe you can guide me properly!

Ivan
    www.ipmsmalta.com
  20. kastigamatt Active Member

Italy
    Great for me, you are always the best and a master. We can recognize your touch in your faces. Congratulations
    ciao Luca