1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

One of their own

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Joe Hudson, Jan 8, 2005.

1. fsdesimone Member

VERY nice Joe. I have no desire to paint tartans or those cute little socks, but you make it look easy. ;)
  2. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey guys and lady, ;)

Thanks for the kind comments. I told everyone it is easy to paint tartans and just check out the paint that I use. :lol: Thanks Guy for the reminder.

Patrick,

I told you I tried so many different ways but still could not figure it out so I stumbled onto what I have now. I tried to mask and airbrush, tried to draw it on but what seemed to work was to paint it the white, I used stone grey + offwhite and kept it on the darker side. The first several looked like day glow! I then tried using flat red + white and it just looked really bad. So the end result was to use #946 dark red + silver grey for the pink and then use the dark red + #804 beige red for the diamonds. All the paints are Vallejo.

The way that I finally got the pattern was to paint the white then use a pencil to make small tick marks of equal space down the front of the leg and the back. I then just connected the dots with the paint. The other thing was to keep the paint really thin and then work it up to the darker shade. I hope this makes some sense and the tartan was all freehand.

I also want to thank Gary for the help on this figure and I look forward to our next venture it will be a doozy! ;)

Joe

Attached Files:

3. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    :lol: :lol: :lol:
  4. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Hey Joe,

I didn't know this paintbotle was available :lol: :lol: :lol:

Awesome job.

Marc
  5. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    I believe they also came out with a face color that comes complete with all the shading including the 5 o'clock shadow.~Gary
  6. Johan Well-Known Member

Belgium
    :eek:

Do they sell a Cameron of erracht version as well ???

:lol: :lol:
  7. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey Johan,

I am not sure if they do but if I find it I will be sure to pick a bottle for you and I. ;)

Joe
  8. Jim Patrick Active Member

United-States
    :lol: :lol: You guys kill me. Whoever said painters don't have a sense (albeit warped) of humor? Joe, I told you on the phone how much I like this but the more I see it, the more I like it. Very nice. This should really look good once you complete it.

Jim Patrick
  9. y_wong New Member

Dear Joe,

Very well painted. Will be following this thread closely.

regards :)
  10. D Hood New Member

Joe,

I love this one. Keep the pictures coming. When the Dutch Grenadier going to be completed?
  11. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Thanks guys. I hope to post a few more pictures soon and David are you trying to get me in trouble! :lol: I will post pictures of the finished grenadier by the weekend. ;)

Joe
  12. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Here are some pictures of highlander # 1 finished. I will add the rifle and flower once he is glued down to the base. I will start on # 2 tonight. Thanks for looking.

Joe

Attached Files:

13. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    another one

Attached Files:

14. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    :eek:

Attached Files:

15. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    a few close ups

Attached Files:

16. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    last one I promise!

Attached Files:

17. KeithP Active Member

United-States
    My first view of this one...

As has already been said the dicing on the hose is great. My Blackwatch figgie does not look nearly as "neat" Still and all, its nice to see someone can do it well :lol: !

Keith
  18. Patrick Kirk New Member

Excellent Joe, simply awesome!
    I see that the "plaid" paint has served you well! :lol: ;)

Outstanding!

All the best

Patrick
  19. Jim Patrick Active Member

United-States
    WOW! :eek: Fantasic Joe. With every figure you have painted as of late, you have gotten better with each one! (y) I am SERIOUSLY looking forward to seeing/drooling this one in the flesh!

Great job again!
    Jim Patrick
  20. amherbert Member

Super work Joe.

I obviously have defective bottles of Plaid paint...

Andy