1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

One of their own

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by garyjd, Jun 25, 2004.

1. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Side view showing where the initial piece of rolled out A&B for the jacket is blended into the side and rear which is Magicsculpt. I really trid to make the shape of the cartridge box stand out by the way the jacket is draped.

Attached Files:

2. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Rear of the jacket showing the center vent and pleats on either side. He will have a lot of field gear, so I decided to add all the folds I thought might be present in that pose as I'm not sure how many will be covered. At this stage I also sanded down the neck on the figure's head as it was too long.

Attached Files:

3. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    This is figure #1's cartridge box epoxyed in place. His jacket will be worked on next.

Attached Files:

4. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Gary,

I have said it before but man they are looking really nice and I am really looking forward to seeing these fellows.

Joe
  5. Manfred Active Member

Clearly illustrated and cleanly sculpted.

Impressive work, as always (y)
  6. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Looking great Gary!

Glad to see you back in action again!
  7. PeteC Member

Looking good Gary. Your sculpts always look so neat, precise and well planned out. Do you spend a great deal of time planning the steps in the sculpting process or does it just seem to come together for you?
  8. jaime Member

Spain
    Looking great. Thank you

Cheers

Jaime Gil
  9. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Anders, Thanks buddy, it's great to be back.

Pete, Thanks, Yeah, in some way or another I spend time planning out a figure by sketching it or sculpting part(s) of it in my head. This has been of some help at times. There are also those "happy accidents" where things just work out, and others times where they don't. For this vignette Griffing's painting as well as a lot of "mental planning" get the credit. Thanks again.

Jaime, Thanks for the kind words.~Gary
  10. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Looking GREAT Gary!!!
  11. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Wonderful idea, Gary and I like what you've done so far. I echo the sentiments about human interest ideas. Also, I particularly like the idea of "re-creating" well known paintings or water colors. Jon Smith has done some fine work on that with WWI subjects and I'd really like to see more sculptors follow that idea. I look forward to seeing more of this project.
  12. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Jason, Thanks buddy.

Dan, Thanks. I like seeing a 3-D version of flat artwork. I'm enjoying myself with this piece although to me the concept is more important than doing an "exact" copy of the painting. I hope to do more work like this in the future.~Gary
  13. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Here Highlander #2's jacket is almost complete as far as the basic garment, and #1's jacket is well on it's way.

Attached Files:

14. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    I have also assembled the major pieces that will make up the grave. I took a piece of sculpey and shaped it like a brick and baked it. After drying I put it inside two sandwhich bags and hit it with a hammer a few time. The pieces fractured and splintered to where it looks like rocks. I then took some putty and pushed it onto a floor tile that had a slight film of vaseline on it. I then pushed the sculpey rocks down onto it. I then shapped the putty that oozed out from the bottom and blended it into the sculpey. Lastly I took a piece of strip plastic sanded to look like wood and pushed that into a gap in the rocks to form the vertical part of the cross.

This is how it appears in the painting.

Attached Files:

15. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Here's what I have done so far.

Attached Files:

16. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Here are the figures and basic grave combined together to give you an idea as to where the project is in terms of completion.

Highlander #1 I need to move the right arm up as there were some adjustments made to the shoulders.

Highlander #2 His head needs to be repositioned so his head is bowed giving him a more solem look istead of staring into space.

Attached Files:

17. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Awesome GAry............I have enjoyed following your sbs immensely. Thanks, and I look forward to your next step.
  18. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Gary,

It is really coming together. I can't wait to see more of them!

Joe
  19. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    I've been doing some work on the arms of the figures. More Aves putty has been added over top of the roughed in arms for the sleeves. A bit more material than what is needed is always added as the folds will be carved, sanded and filed in.

Here is Highlander #1, note the extra material. I filed some of the folds in where the copper armature wire is showingthorugh.

Attached Files:

20. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    I'm finding it's best to make the roughed in arm very thin and the final application for the sleeve heavier. The reason is when carving and filing thin layers they often chip or flake off the arm, which adds a bit more work to clean it up.

Highlander #2's right arm is almost complete minus the cuff. The olther arm needs a bit more work.

Attached Files: