1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

One of their own

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by garyjd, Jun 25, 2004.

1. JCOX Active Member

United-States
    Gary,

Can't thank you enough for this sbs on how you're doing the drapery. That is one of the toughest things for me. Gives me hope!

-jim cox
  2. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Gary,

Great work! I can't wait to see the finished figures!

Joe
  3. Shane Active Member

Gary,

I understand about "slow" and the ebb and flow of interest. I'm right there with you. Besides, it's the end results that matter, not the time it takes to get there. Your results are excellent!

Shane
  4. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    GREAT JOB,Gary (y) (y) !! Thanks for posting the SBS on creating the folds on the kilt,I really appreciate it ! Cheers.
    Kenneth :)
  5. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Guys, Thanks for all the kind words. To me the most important thing is to develope a system for sculpting a figure by working on the figure as a whole by working your way to the completed model. It can be easy to concentrate on one aspect of the figure and lose site of the rest.

Here is Highlander #2. I still have some work on the kilt and need to work the hose a little more as I'm not too thrilled with the way they look.

Attached Files:

6. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Another view.

Attached Files:

7. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    A look at the folds.

Attached Files:

8. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Now that my computer is working again I thought I'd post what little progress I've made on the vignette. I started the waistcoats on both figures in addition to roughing in the shapes of the equipment. This is a tricky stage of construction as both of the figures arms are close to the body which makes clothing and equipment placement a bit of a challenge.

This photo shows the rough arms and musket as positioned in the painting. I have to be mindful of where the jacket drapes over the right half of the cartridge box while also making sure there is enough room for the cuff on the right sleeve.

Attached Files:

9. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    This is figure #2 without the arms. The sporran (purse) is visible under the waistcoat front as is the cartridge box. The cartridge box poses a bit of a proble so I sanded almost half of it away and replaced it with a blob of Aves putty that is roughly in the shape of the cartridge box. The front of the jacket will cover this area and allow the rest of the cartridge box to slide into place as a separate piece.

Attached Files:

10. LCoote New Member

Australia
    Hey Gary, I wondered where you've been, looking great from what I can see , what went wrong with the pics.
  11. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Looking great Gary! Can't wait to see how you work his coat.
  12. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Leigh, I got a Trojan horse on my computer and not knowing much about these thing took a while to get it functioning again. Given that my progress was at a standstill until now.

Jason, I hope to start the jacket today.

Another close up of the cartridge box. The white portion done in Aves will be covered.

Attached Files:

13. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Here is a close up of Highlander #1's sporran and lower waistcoat.

Turned out the JPEG compression was set at low quality hence the poor pictures I first posted.

Attached Files:

14. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Fantastic Gary........I look forward each day to see what you have posted in your progress.
  15. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    One more close up of Highlander #2 showing where the placement of the musket is in relation to the cartridge box.

Attached Files:

16. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Guy, Thanks I appreciate it. I was going through "withdrawl" not being able to post my progress, it does help me to move projects along.~Gary
  17. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey Gary,

I too am glad to see you back. This is just the thing I need to help me get back into the swing of things.

Joe
  18. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    This is the first step in making Highlander #2's jacket. I applied the sheet of A&B putty after applying a thin film of vaseline over the chest area and cartridge box. I did this as it will be easier for me to thin out the edge to make the jacket appear scale and to shorten it at the bottom a bit. I almost always allow myself a little extra material in the event things do not go as planned.

Attached Files:

19. Stephan Well-Known Member

Germany
    This is like to get a baby.
    Very interesting thread unbelievable for me in this scale.
    Looking forward
  20. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Here is the right side of Highlander #1's jacket. I backfilled the inside of the jacket with Magicsculpt and sanded down the outside to give the edge a more scale look. you can see by the indent where the "belly box" (cartridge box) gets placed. I also built up a bit of the area for the collar.

Attached Files: