1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

One of their own

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by garyjd, Jun 25, 2004.

1. Patrick Kirk New Member

I gotcha Gary...nonetheless, you are still a stud and your work is the standard. This is a "one-of", right?

All the best my friend

Patrick
  2. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Kenneth, Thank you.

Patrick, Thanks buddy, it's a one off.
  3. Patrick Kirk New Member

Gary... :( sorta thought so...am sure that your client will be VERY pleased...

All the best

Patrick
  4. Stephan Well-Known Member

Germany
    wow.
    love this step by step
    thanks for sharing
  5. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey Gary,

Man this is looking really nice. I am glad to be back so I can watch them come together.

Joe
  6. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Here is the back of the kilt which is a rolled out piece of A&B putty. It was difficult to put in the individual pleats, so additional material will be added with the folds being sanded, carved and filed into place. Note that a thin film of vaseline was applied to the edges of the sheet so it will be easy to remove so the inside of the folds can be worked.

Attached Files:

7. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    This is Highlander #2. The lines marked out indicate the inside of each pleat. I will take Aves apoxie and build up between the lines.

Attached Files:

8. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    The initial application of putty.

Attached Files:

9. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    After the putty cured I removed the back side of the kilt and refined the folds on the inside of the kilt.

Attached Files:

10. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    The back of Highlander #1's kilt with the inside folds refined. These will now be attached to the figure so the outside folds can be worked.

Attached Files:

11. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    This is Highlander #1 with the back of the kilt glued in place with two part epoxy. You'll notice that there's a lot of extra material, this will be worked down to a more scale thickness. It's better to have a bit more than you need than not enough.

Attached Files:

12. Shane Active Member

Gary,

Good SBS, I'm enjoying seeing you work through this one. Looking forward to more installments.
    Can't you work faster? :)
    Shane
  13. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Shane, Thanks a lot. Unlike some of the members here who have an unbelievable knack for cranking things out , I do not :( . There are times where some parts go faster than others, and times where there's almost a total lack of interest. As for speed I only have one and it is SLOW.~Gary
  14. fsdesimone Member

Heh, then I must work in reverse because you don't seem that slow to me... :)

I enjoy looking at all the stuff you put up, but I'm enjoying this one especially.

Francesca
  15. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Here is Highlander #1 after sanding away some of the material on the backside of the kilt. The photo on the right soes a few folds to the right already work on while those on the left needing some attention.

Attached Files:

16. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    This photo shows the folds from above. The light colored putties make it a little difficult to see the work.

Attached Files:

17. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Here you can see how the material has been thinned out on the right, while the folds on the left have yet to be worked.

Attached Files:

18. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Francesca, Thank you. I'm glad you enjoy it. I'm slow trust me. As I said some parts go fast, others come to a standstill. Now, where's your stuff?~Gary
  19. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Wonderful work my friend!

As for the speed in which Gary works...He dosn't play "beat the clock" (a habit which some of us here should break ;) ). And having studied Gary's work in flesh I can only say "perfection"! Flawless engineering in all his projects. We're very fortunate to have Gary showing us his techniques.
  20. fsdesimone Member

I've been waiting until I actually painted something to put pictures up, but since I haven't done anything new in months, I should probably just put up in-progress shots at this point.