1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

One of their own

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by garyjd, Jun 25, 2004.

1. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Here is another small scale project I will start posting in-progress pics of in the next week or so. Fellow planetFigure painter/sculptor Joe Hudson expressed an interest in doing a joint project for World Expo 2005. I came up with an idea but settled on the following one as it's a bit less ambitious than the other, although we both want to do the other one at some point. More on that later.

Inspiration A painting by Historical artist Robert Griffing is the basis for this vignette that depicts two Highlanders from the 77th Regiment of Foot paying respects to a fallen comrade. There aleady have been some neat "human interest" type pieces done by fellow members that show some great interaction between the figures. I love the French & Indian war and Joe loves Highlanders and felt the two would make for a great project with neat sbs (step-by-step) capabilities.

Attached Files:

2. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Here's a preview picture of armature number 1. I will do the second figure up to this stage before I begin any of the detail work.

You'll notice he is not bent over as much as the figure in the painting. My purpose is to not get the figures exactly like the painting but come up with an adaptation of the painting.~Gary

Attached Files:

3. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Excellent!

This will be a very high calibre colaboration, a great sculptor and a super painter! Looking forward to this one!
  4. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Excellent Gary...........I am excited to see this come about.
  5. LCoote New Member

Australia
    Gary, this is gonna be good, I can't wait!
  6. thegoodsgt Active Member

United-States
    Nice choice for a vignette. A good alternative to the typical battle scene, and we don't see many Highlanders.
  7. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    This is going to be AWESOME! Can't wait to see more.
  8. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Guys, As always thanks for the kind words. I was a bit hesitant to post pics on this piece this soon considering I have a 120mm vignette still in the works. Until the larger one is done there will be no new additions to my bench until all other figure and weapons projects are complete. Thanks again.~Gary
  9. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Here's Highlander number1 with copper wire forming the armatures for the arms and a resin casting of my "Brown Bess" set in place with some blu tac to work out the final pose.

Attached Files:

10. y_wong New Member

Dear gary, always enjoy your work. I will definitely be following this thread.

regards :)
  11. Johan Well-Known Member

Belgium
    Looks like a great new project, I will watch this topic with interest.

Gary, a question which might be slightly off topic - can you let me know who manufactures your 120mm creations, and where can I buy them? I'd love to paint a Gary Dombrowski sculpture. What happened to that beautiful 19th C. US Marine (1836, I believe) is it commercially available by now?

Thanks,

Johan
  12. yeo_64 Active Member

Singapore
    Top choice for a figure vignette,Gary;I always love a human interest aspect to the models that I make.I'll definitely be following this thread closely.WELL DONE (y) ! Cheers.
    Kenneth :lol:
  13. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Gary,

He is looking really nice. I am looking forward to seeing this one myself. I just hope that I can keep up my end of the bargin. :)

Joe
  14. Einion Well-Known Member

Hi Gary, very much looking forward to seeing this progress. I used the same head on a Beneito conversion recently, good character face isn't it? Will you use another Historex head for the other figure?

Einion
  15. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Guys, Thanks again for the kind words.

The Marine was sculpted for commercial release, I'm just not able to say when it might become available.

The other figure in the vignette will also have a Historex resin head.~Gary
  16. Patrick Kirk New Member

Gary...
    Wow...
    You simply amaze me...can't wait to see this all together...
    All the best my friend...

Patrick
  17. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Hey Gary,that is a fantastic idea for a vignette,I really like it.(y)

You and Joe together as a team will do superb work, can't wait to see you guys in action. ;)

Keep up the good work.

Roc. :)
  18. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Here are both figures for the vignette. They will be placed closer to one another on a different working base. I have done a little work on the legs to refine them.

Attached Files:

19. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    After refining the legs, the shoes, hose and kilts will be started.

Attached Files:

20. John Long Active Member

United-States
    Excellent Gary. It's looking really good. I like watching it progress. Will you make the figures with the ability to disassemble?