1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

On the workbench

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by rdclaeps, Sep 5, 2004.

1. rdclaeps New Member

Photos of a couple of things that I have on the workbench.

The first photo is the 200mm Verlinden SF bust. The uniform is pretty much done, just need to finish the web gear, equipment and head.

The second photo is the 75mm Fusilier WWI German anti-tank gunner. This part is pretty much finished, just need to do the fleshtones, helmet and anti-tank rifle. This is the first full figure and something smaller than 200mm that I've painted in a long time. It was hard to get used to painting smaller detail than found on a large scale bust. I plan on sticking with this scale for a while and see if I can improve my painting skills.

[IMG]

[IMG]
  2. homellop Active Member

Spain
    Very nice camo,Roger
    regards
    jaume
  3. John Long Active Member

United-States
    Both look very good Roger. The tiger stripe is especially well done. (y)
  4. rdclaeps New Member

Thanks Jaume. I had a lot of fun painting it. take care, Roger
  5. rdclaeps New Member

Thanks John. I was meaning to ask if you stuck with the plan of attack you posted for your camo painting session? Your camo turned out very nice. I can't wait to see your finished figure. take care, Roger
  6. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Hey Roger, very nice work, very smoothe. (y)

What happened to their heads? :lol:

Keep up the good work,

Roc. :)
  7. rdclaeps New Member

Thanks Roc. I found that I could complete projects much faster if I just omit their heads. :)
  8. Pete_H New Member

Looks good, Rog! I especially like the detail on the bust's webbing - the stitching, that is.
  9. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey Roger,

You have some really nice work. I love the camo and look forward to seeing the rest of the figures.

Joe
  10. jaime Member

Spain
    The camo, the camo, I love the camo but... how did you paint it? Could you explain the process?

Excellent!!!

Regards

Jaime
  11. rdclaeps New Member

Thanks Petey. I did the web gear in oils. It's not the shade I was shooting for, I wanted a more of a yellowish tone. Oh well, I don't feel like re-painting it so it stays as is. I still need to add the knife and a pouch.
  12. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Excellent stuff Roger! That is some mean camo painting!
  13. John Long Active Member

United-States
    Roger,

It occurred to me that I left that thread I started open ended. I posted my process there.

Here is what I did.
  14. rdclaeps New Member

Thanks Joe. I hope to finish both of them in the next couple of days.
  15. rdclaeps New Member

Thanks Anders. Maybe one of these days, I'll break down and do the fleshtones in Vallejos. ;)
  16. rdclaeps New Member

Thanks Jaime.

I painted the camo in Vallejos. I used a base color of US Green and Olive. After applying the base, I applied the highlights and shadows with glazes, shade was base plus Green Black and highlights were base plus Lemon Yellow. I then applied the camo pattern. After that dried, I went back and re-touched the shadows and highlights. I then gave the entire uniform a glaze of the basecoat. I was told that the black in tiger stripe camo faded out to purple, so I attempted to highlight the black with a few light purple glazes.

I then used the shadow color to outline the seams and pockets. I then hit the edges of the pockets and seams with a lighter shade of the hightlight color.

Overall, I'm happy with the results, but feel I the shading/highlights could be better. I afraid that if I do go back and play around with it some more I could might mess it up, so I think it's best to stop where I'm at.

take care,

Roger
  17. Patrick Kirk New Member

Roger,
    Excellent work on the camo my friend...simply one of the best renditions that I have seen. Incredible. Can't wait to see more. Hope all is well!

Take care

Patrick
  18. rdclaeps New Member

Hey Patrick, thanks for the kind words. All is well on my end. I hope everything is well with you and your family. take care, Roger
  19. olly_usafsoc New Member

Got to love that tigerstripe......mmmm... vietnam goodness.... keep the pictures coming! :lol:
  20. rdclaeps New Member

Update on the WWI German, just a few more things and it's done. Had to strip the paint from the head on the Verlinden SF bust, so I finished another bust that was on the workbench, a 200mm from UEM.

[IMG]

[IMG]