1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

"On the watchout for Von Lettow-Vorbeck"

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Marijn Van Gils, Sep 28, 2005.

1. Marijn Van Gils New Member

Thanks Dan!

I checked the photographs, which are rather small, and the Askari does look nice indeed. Von Lettow-Vorbeck doesn't really convince me though, but I would like to sculpt him myself sooner or later anyway. :)
    I would welcome anyone producing anything on the subject, as I really love it. Especially some 1/35th weapons-equipment-sets would be nice... :lol:

Cheers!

Marijn
  2. Dr. Bison New Member

Hi Marijn,

there's actually one manufacturer, also from Germany, who does some figures from Germany's splendid colonial past in 54mm - Hecker&Goros! Their website (Hecker & Goros list) lists 6 Schutztruppen soldiers. Photos of them can be found on the Berliner Zinnfiguren website. Hope this helps.

Oh, by the way: Your models rock!

Cheers
    Karl
  3. Marijn Van Gils New Member

Thanks for the info Karl!

And finally a small update: a step-by-step series about making the puttees of the lower figure. Raul Latorre convinced me to try it in Duro, and explained me his technique. This is my first try, but I find it much easier and quicker than the carving method (in Magic Sculp) I used before, and I like the results a lot better.

The lower left leg prepared (naked):

[IMG]

Duro apllied in a thin layer:

[IMG]

The pattern is impressed with the flat side of a scalpel:

[IMG]

The pattern is worked with a convex spatula to smooth it out and refine the edges:

[IMG]

Small folds are impressed with a toothpick and needle:

[IMG]

All comments are very welcome!
    Best wishes,

Marijn
  4. Marijn Van Gils New Member

Thanks for the info Karl!

And finally a small update: a step-by-step series about making the puttees of the lower figure. Raul Latorre convinced me to try it in Duro, and explained me his technique (thanks Raul!). This is my first try, but I already find it much easier and quicker than the carving method (in Magic Sculp) I used before, and I like the results a lot better.

The lower left leg prepared (naked):

[IMG]

Duro apllied in a thin layer:

[IMG]

The pattern is impressed with the flat side of a scalpel:

[IMG]

The pattern is worked with a convex spatula to smooth it out and refine the edges:

[IMG]

Small folds are impressed with a toothpick and needle:

[IMG]

All comments are very welcome!
    Best wishes,

Marijn
  5. jitch0t Member

Spain
    Awesome, please post more sbs!! :D
  6. Marijn Van Gils New Member

Thanks Daniel!

I know, I really should take more sbs-photogaphs, but it slows me down so much... :(

The figures are getting close to finished now, so I missed quite some opportunities for sbs-pics, but I will try to take some of the making of the ammo-pouches during the following nights.

Marijn
  7. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Marijn,

Thanks for the short SBS. Is this the BOS of AMSS 2006.
    Why slowing down when taking pictures. Is there a contest in fast sculping :)

I hope to see more of this great vignette.

Marc
  8. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    AWESOME,Marijn,just AWESOME (y) (y) !!! Thanks for the SBS on the puttee-making;it'll certainly come in handy one of these days. Cheers !
    Kenneth.
  9. Marijn Van Gils New Member

Thanks Marc and Kenneth!

Sorry for my long absence from posting... But I have been busy modelling meanwhile!

Now a short sbs on making the ammopouches. For these more rigid shapes, I like to use much more carving than I would for flowing materials like cloth as it results in crisper edges. First the later pattern ammopouch on the top figure:

first I put a slightly oversized piece of Magic Sculpt on the spot and harden it in the oven at 60°C:
    [IMG]

Then I carve this into the basic shape with a scalpel (mostly I use n°11 and 15 blades):
    [IMG]

Then another blob of putty is added to this, rolled out with a toothpick, but left oversized. This will turn into the flap cover:
    [IMG]

And finally this one is also carved into shape. Seams are not carved or sculpted, but left for the paintbrush:
    [IMG]

And the painted result:
    [IMG]

Best wishes!

Marijn
  10. Marijn Van Gils New Member

And now the later pattern on the bottom figure:

Again first an oversized blob of putty:
    [IMG]

Carving into the basic shape:
    [IMG]

Adding putty for the flap:
    [IMG]

Carving this after hardening:
    [IMG]

And finally adding the little strap and button, both from thin plastic sheet:
    [IMG]

Marijn
  11. Marijn Van Gils New Member

As the last sculpting step, the figures were fitted together and the feet of the top figure resculpted to fit the shoulders of the bottom figure.

The feet were pinned in this way:
    [IMG]

And firmly glued into the shoulders:
    [IMG]

Right foot before resculpting:
    [IMG]

... and after:
    [IMG]

Left foot before resculpting:
    [IMG]

...and after:
    [IMG]

Front view, slightly from above:
    [IMG]

Marijn
  12. Marijn Van Gils New Member

The groundwork was made before painting the figures:
    [IMG]

Some details. The bucket was made from pewter sheet and copper wire, while the brush is and old paintbrush, of which I cut down the hairs and cut the metal part with a slitting disc in my dremel. After this, I filled the rear with superglue and baking powder and sanded it into shape:
    [IMG]

And the completed figures before painting. Note that I already broke the plastisheet straps on the ammopouches of the bottom figure because of handling. Thes will be redone when the painting process moves down far enough:
    [IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Any comments or criticisms are very, very welcome!
    Best wishes,

Marijn
  13. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    TOO COOL, Marijn! Wonderful concept, executed carefully and beautifully sculpted! I hope this wins you many awards for originality and design!

All the best,
    Dan
  14. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Marijn, I can only echo what others ahve said and will say about this piece, it is fantastic. The sbs's on ammo pouches was really informative and serves to show that all those little extras like equipment can be done by breaking them down in simple steps. I can hardly wait to see the finished piece.~Gary
  15. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Awesome Marjin..........I love how you are bringing this scene together
  16. jjgurk Member

United-States
    Incredible. I've been following this since the beginning. Great sbs all around Marijn. I've enjoyed your techniques for making those small details that are often over looked.

John
  17. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Fantastic work,great step by step.
    Thanks for sharing.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers
    Roc. :)
  18. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Marijn,

Again, thanks for this great SBS. It seems so easy in the steps. But i know it is difficult.
    I'm really looking forward to see it in life. Maybe AMSS show.

marc
  19. Roy New Member

United-Kingdom
    Marijn, you're creating another beautiful piece.
    Your sculpting improves in leaps and bounds with each figure, and you have a great talent for creativity, not to mention your imagination...fantastic work and attention to the small details as well as overall setting.

All the best with the painting.......Roy.
  20. John Long Active Member

United-States
    Excellent work Marijn. I'm impressed with how the subtle changes to the feet makes all the difference in the whether the piece works or not. The setting is also very well done.