1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

on the firing line

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Jason W., Apr 3, 2004.

1. Robin Active Member

United-Kingdom
    I agree with Rob this would be great as a hedgerow scene or firstworldwar in a shell hole.

Idea after idea pity I can't sculpt.

Robin
  2. johnbrewer New Member

3. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Hi fella's,

Here's some more pic's. I intended to have this guy taking a dead aim, but after a couple of frustrating hours, of trying to position his arms, I said the "heck with it", and decided he's picking out a target instead. :angry:

I may have to shave some of his trigger hand. But for now here it is.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

Well, I'm off to work. Thanks for looking. :)
  4. jitch0t Member

Spain
    Nice as usual! i love watching these steps as they grow!

Have a nice time at work :)
  5. John Long Active Member

United-States
    Jason, I think it looks really good. (y) (y) My first thought before reading the text was that the guy was looking at the result of his last shot. The pose as is works great.

I read that you had much difficulty positioning the arms. I think for a dead aim shot the arms are just right, it's the neck that needs to be repositioned. The head would be bent to the right and the cheek would rest on the butt-stock. I'm not saying I would change it, because I think it works as is.
  6. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Jason, Very very nice. The kepi is dead on. Are you sratching the equipment or, are they castings? The rifle looks to be resin. Anyway, I really like the way this vignette is shaping up.~Gary (y)
  7. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey Jason!

Wow, some great progress on this piece! You have done a great job incorporationg all the equipment in your sculpt. I find that hard to sculpt around, and Im always afraid to mess things up, so I try to save those things for the end, but I can see the advantages of incorporaitoong them into the sculpt as then it will be more of a natural fit.

Keep up the great work man, you are a true inspiration!
  8. Patrick Kirk New Member

Jason,
    Simply amazing...this is quickly becoming a favorite of mine and I really enjoy seeing these come to life! The detail work is incredible! Wow...can't wait to see more

All the best

Patrick
  9. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Thanks John!

Hey, that will work too :)

Thanks Daniel, and Patrick!

Gary, the rifle is from the ICM kit, as well the rear cartridge box, bayonet scabbard. The canteen is scratch, for some reason the ICM French kits do not supply any.

Anders, I think from now on I will go with putty for straps. Using lead foil has some advantages but not as tight a fit as putty. I'm using it basically to be more efficient.
  10. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    If I don't throw it out the window first!...Just Kidding :lol:

I don't know if I'll bring it, I have quite a bit to bring already. We'll see :) Thanks for the interest though.
  11. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    I agree, this type of scene would fit anywhere, anytime.
  12. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Well jump on in! The "water" is fine here on the planet. Lots of good people here to help you "swim". :lol:
  13. y_wong New Member

Hey Jason,

I am enjoying every bit of it. Keep up the good work. Looking forward to more of it.

regards :lol:
  14. LCoote New Member

Australia
    AWESOME Jason (y) (y) I think one of the most difficult positions to capture correctly is the figure looking through the sights of a rifle, anyway I wouldn't worry, it looks great as is.
  15. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey Jason,

This is turning out very nice. I am looking forward to seeing more of it. I am also looking forward to seeing your work at MFCA.

Joe
  16. Dani A. New Member

Hello,

I think the pose works as a depiction of an individual preparing to aim, but not still actually aiming; so, it is perfectly adequate for your purposes. The impression I get is that he's glancing around, looking for some target.

Keep on with the good work!

Dani
  17. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Manfred, oh you tease! :lol:

Thanks Wong, Leigh, Joe and Dani! Your words of encouragement really help motivate me.

Btw Dani, did you get my e-mail concerning OMM? Here it is again.
    mailto:militarymatters@worldnet.att.net
  18. Dani A. New Member

Jason,

Indeed I did! And, BTW, the website works fine, now. I have just ordered the two books you recommended. So, I guess it could be my inspiration gets a boost, in a short while...

Thanks!
  19. johnbrewer New Member

Jason, i am such a big fan of your work. I am so looking forward to the day when I can buy one of your fantastic figures and paint it up. Please,please get a company to produce one.
  20. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Thanks John! I really appreciate the kind words. Perhaps in a few years I will do a commercial figure. I feel I have a LONG way to go. Have not seriously scratch built a head or weapon yet. And as some pF members can attest too, scratch building heads and weapons is totally different than adding wrinkles and folds to puttied-up armatures. :lol: Right now I'm content with building originals. :)

Btw, here's some more in-progress pic's.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]