1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Old Whaler - Green Monkey Models

Discussion in 'Completed Figures' started by harto, Nov 9, 2018.

1. harto Active Member

HongKong
    Hi, been a while since I posted anything. This is the lovely "Old Whaler" bust from Green Monkey Models. I bought this because of all the character in the face, hope I have done it justice. The only modifications I made to the figure were to extend the right forearm a bit (as it looked a little short to me in proportion to the rest of the figure) and to modify and rig the harpoon. Apparently the wooden shaft is designed to come out after the whale is hit leaving only the iron head embedded, in order to reduce the risk of the harpoon pulling free. Likewise those nasty barbs on the head are toggled to swivel after the hit to give greater hold and the toggle is prevented from moving during the throw by a small wooden peg which snaps after the whale is hit. I found a lot of info on this website; www.whalecraft.net. The bust is painted entirely in acrylics which I'm still getting the hang of after transitioning from oils and enamels IMG_2784.jpg IMG_2792.jpg IMG_2797.jpg IMG_2805.jpg
    John Bowery, JonH, xeonfish and 2 others like this.
  2. MoboSchreuder A Fixture

Excellent work

Mobo
  3. harto Active Member

HongKong
    thanks, still struggling a bit with my transitions and blending when it comes to acrylics so any comments/suggestions welcome. I find I am still tending towards wet blending much like using my oils (I have found VMS retarder for acrylics coupled with a wet palette to be great for this) but I think this does tend to detract from the popping contrasts which so many people seem to be able to achieve in acrylics.
  4. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Nicely done and nice character looking.
    Cheers
    John
  5. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    Very nice looking piece.....love the conversion. Actually, the harpoon would have stayed as one in the whale and there would have been long line of rope attached and connected to a smaller boat pulling the whalers which was called the "Nantucket Sleighride"..... I'm sure Google will show you an image if you're interested....Keep up the good work...…...

Wayne
  6. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    very good work.

Marc
  7. grasshopper A Fixture

Canada
    There are some very engrossing books out there..about whaling, Nantucket, the Essex..