1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

oil mix for.....

Discussion in 'Oils' started by megroot, Sep 9, 2015.

1. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    I'm painting a WW 1 figure 90 mm Stormtrooper from Andrea. I have some difficulties with the
    German Field Grey or Feldgrau.
    I know that there are more then 10 different fieldgrey, but untill know I don't have a good color.
    Can somebody help me.

Marc
  2. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Hopefully Ulrich will see this Marc. He gave me a mix that was good but unfortunately I can't remember what it was. :sorry:
  3. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I just did a google images search and in most pics it appears to be quite a neutral grey so as a starting point I would mix Burnt Umber and Ultramarine Blue to get a nice black then gradually add small amounts of Titanium White to reach the right value for your mid tones. Save some of the original mix to shade, highlight with white.

Bear in mind that I've never painted a WW1 German uniform before so I may be oversimplifying things a bit and be way off the mark but this is just the way I would approach trying to match this colour.
  4. billyturnip A Fixture

England
  5. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Thanks Roger for the link. Looking very good. Gonna try that.
    Billy, thanks for the input.

marc
    billyturnip likes this.
  6. Ulrich A Fixture

Germany
    Roger is very quick but he knows why I am a little bit slow at the moment. I always used different variations of that colours for my WW1 german uniforms. I have seen so much original pieces with different "fieldgrey" colours that nobody can really say how it had to look
    billyturnip likes this.
  7. Richard Baxter A Fixture

Scotland
    For what it's worth, the actual examples of Feldgrau uniforms that I have seen have a distinct greenish tinge to them. Andrea's Field Grey paint set is very good, but as for an oil mix, I'm not sure. Shep Paine recommended a mix of 3 parts black, 1 of blue, 1 of yellow and 6 of white in his book "How to Build Dioramas", and I guess he should know better than most. Haven't tried it myself, but should be a good starting point for experimentation. let us know how you get on.
    Steve likes this.
  8. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Thanks Richard. I have that book to, but forgot to look into it.

Marc
  9. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Yes it is the same as what color is grass. It's green, but what kind of green.
    I've seen also alot of fieldgrey colors, but it is difficult to choose the right one. The boxart is in my opinion to blue on the trouser and to green on the jacket.

Marc
  10. Ulrich A Fixture

Germany
    I can only agree with you, Marc. Too much blue and a little bit too much green
  11. Artsupplies New Member

Australia
    useful link billy. thanks for sharing.