1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Oh Merde!

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by DioramaArt, Nov 16, 2022.

1. Waterlooman A Fixture

Superb work - so many varied poses.

W.
    DioramaArt and Nap like this.
  2. Yes, I really enjoy the end result. The sweat on the horses is a very nice and often overlooked detail to give the diorama more life.
    DioramaArt and Nap like this.
  3. Nap Moderator

England

Totally agree ...great to follow the journey , really enjoyable

Look forward to seeing the next

Happy benchtime

Nap
    DioramaArt likes this.
  4. DioramaArt A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thank you very much. It was a very involved project. It’s always a joy to get over the finishing line tinged with a hint of sadness that the ride is over.
  5. DioramaArt A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thank you. I was a little worried adding sweat to the horses as it does look a little unreal, but it is a thing. I figured that the Uhlan patrols would be quite tiring affaires for the horses, and being late summer still quite warm.
  6. DioramaArt A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thank you Kevin, appreciate your ongoing support. Really appreciated. Happy 2023 mate. :)
    Nap likes this.
  7. DioramaArt A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thank you very much mate. :)
    Waterlooman likes this.
  8. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Well, DA, ya kicked this one out of the preverbal "park", batter up! Splendid work, most impressive and totally a work of art, one for the museum, IMHO!
    Nap, DioramaArt and Waterlooman like this.
  9. DioramaArt A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thank you very much mate. Appreciate your kind words of support. :)
  10. NigelR A Fixture

Fabulous! The final result is really impressive and so imaginative (y) (y) (y)

The sweat on the horses might look a little overdone in closeup, but I think you need a different approach to painting the figures in a diorama. You need to be able to see the effect from the viewing distance of the diorama, and I think you do that perfectly. It really helps tell the story of a frenetic chase.

Well done, I am still amazed by how quickly you can pull off major pieces of work like this!!
    Nap and DioramaArt like this.
  11. DioramaArt A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thank you mate. I know what you mean, the horse sweat looks overdone on real horses that I googled. I thought I was bad when I get hot but those sweaty betties get a real white froth going on, it must be the oils in their fur. I toned it down and used some gloss varnish to hint at how hot the horses would be galloping cross country, and tried to work it for closeup and diorama viewing.

I think it’s my style of painting as well. I tend to go over the same area several times in thin translucent layers. In art school I was inspired by cubism, British Vortacist’s and Italian futurism, so blurred motion and abstraction are an attractive style to me, like the motion photography of those times it’s a clash of the old world and new.

Like the slow motion still photos of Robert Capa, it leans towards the abstract, but still makes sense to us as our brain fills in the gaps.

BTW, I started the build 20th October, it would normally take longer but as you know I’ve had a bit more bench time of late, and I like to keep busy. ;)
    Nap likes this.
  12. DioramaArt A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Made this very short movie of the final build.

Larsen E. Whipsnade, Dr Bison and Nap like this.
  13. MoboSchreuder A Fixture

Great work and beautiful paintwork

Mobo
    DioramaArt likes this.
  14. Nap Moderator

England
    A pleasure for all of us to see your builds , look forward to the next

Thanks for supporting the Vignette & Diorama comp #5

Happy benchtime

Nap
    DioramaArt likes this.
  15. DioramaArt A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thank you mate. :)
  16. DioramaArt A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thank you mate, and good luck to all those who enter the Vignette & Diorama competition. :)
    Nap likes this.
  17. Banjer A Fixture

England
    Fabulous work as usual Marcus. I am envious of your skill and imagination.

Bill
    DioramaArt likes this.
  18. DioramaArt A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thank you Bill. In my case it’s more luck than judgement. :D
  19. I'm not a horse, but I ran after cars (well, the bus) in the summer and I can attest that it leaves one quite sweaty. :D

I agree that it might look overdone on a single, static figure, but - as I mentioned a few times before - there's an awful lot of action going on in this diorama, so a bit of exaggeration here and there doesn't feel out of place, I think. A really memorable piece you made there.
    DioramaArt likes this.
  20. DioramaArt A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Least you can run for a bus, they’ve not invented paving that wouldn’t crack under me attempting that one. :D

Agreed, to get dynamism into a diorama you do need a slightly different approach to the modelling and painting. I’ve only ever painted one bust, think it’s the lack of legs that put me off.

Thank you again. :)