1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Review Ogre - release from The Basement

Discussion in 'Reviews , Video Reviews and Open Book' started by Nap, May 13, 2012.

1. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Guys ,

Fantasy is a big part of the modelling world , with such delights as gnomes , elves , witches , and of course ogre's and that is what I am pleased to be able to share with you now .

Lets set the scene a bit and have some details about the subject which has been seen in books ,fantasy wargame figures and of course the multiplex cinema's with the Shrek movies , now we have a bust of an ogre.

Ogres are imaginary beings which are usually depicted as large, hideous human like monsters They are frequently featured in myths , folklore and legend and in many classic works of literature, and are most often described in fairytales and folklore as feeding on human beings. In art visually ogres are often depicted as having a large head, abundant hair and beard, a voracious appetite, and a strong body. The term 'ogre' is often applied in a metaphorical sense to disgusting persons who exploit, brutalize, harass or bully others. In both this sense and a literary context, the troll is often seen as a comparable figure.

Ogres are described as being essentially humanoid in shape, though much larger than any human, standing 8–10 feet tall. Though they appear quite fat, sporting a noticeable paunch, in fact most of their critical internal organs are centered in the gut region of their stomach, which is protected by a thick sheath of muscle. This muscle also aids in digestion, as it can contract to help grind down tougher substances. As a result, Ogres are capable of eating nearly anything. All Ogres wear a personalized, dual-purpose gut-plate. This serves to protect their gut - which they consider the spiritual center of their being - and can be used as a weapon.

In the D & D role playing game ogres are a lesser race of giants. An aquatic subrace of ogres is known as merrow. D&D ogres are also closely related to the race of ogre magi a more intelligent race with blue skin and great magical abilities. Typically Ogres stand between nine and ten feet tall and can weigh up to 650 lbs.

In Warhammer the ogre army differs from most other armies in Warhammer as it is composed mainly of monstrous Infantry (i.e. models mounted on larger bases which are significantly tougher than normal man-sized infantry, but fewer in number).

As you can see a truely nasty piece of work in our modelling world ...perhaps not so much in the movies!!!

I think this could be an enjoyable review folks !!!

Continued in next post:

Nap

big boy 024.jpg [IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG]
    Wigdog likes this.
  2. Nap Moderator

England
    Now we are all in a suitable mindset ..hopefully :)

The bust was received quickly and well packed in a clear see through blister pack , the parts being secured further in a resealable plastic bag . Also in the pack were 2 pictures front and rear views of the painted version.

Whats in the box I hear you shout....... well :

Subject: "Ogre"

Scale: Approx 1:12th

Material : Resin

Sculptor : Chris Clayton

Box Art: Adrian Hopwood

Casting: Tim Perry

The bust consists of a total of 2 parts , the main torso (with the rear of the hair) and the other being the face and neck .

Sculpting has been done by Chris Clayton the same modeller who won the BoS at Euro Militaire in 2010 with his Dragon Slayer (here is the link to the PF post on that : http://www.planetfigure.com/threads/best-of-show-from-euro-militaire-2010.36163/watch-confirm) .

Box art is by Adrian Hopwood another Euro star , for me personally I feel the pictures could be better to show the painting up more .

Continued in next post:

Nap

Attached Files:

3. Nap Moderator

England
    Looking now at the larger of the 2 pieces :

The torso , this has the back of the head and hair sculpted with it .

As I said Ogres are large and very muscular and Chris has captured the feeling wonderfully of the thickset muscles in the neck on this piece , the hair itself is in plaits flowing down the neck , detail is spot on , really naturally done , the plaits being held together with ties at the ends .

One thing I will say is that the Ogre has been sculpted with pimples and spots so don't go removing them thinking the might be a casting remnant ...they are not !!!! ...just goes to show the amount of thought Chris has put into the piece.

The chest armour as worn by all Ogres to protect their full tummys is a nice simple single plate with knocks and cuts , held together by rivets , undercuts are very good , the heavy metal is held up across both shoulders by rope , again nicely done .

There is a post also cast into the torso which is done so as to put the bust at an angle , good idea , a minor couple of casting lines on it ..easily cleaned off with sanding pads .

Continud in next post:

Nap

Attached Files:

4. Nap Moderator

England
    Moving on to the 2nd part , the head itsself:

This is a wonerful piece , looking at the musce tone ..a before well done ad defined , these are full of veins bulging out the pose is of him pushing his head forward straining the neck creating lovely under the chin features .

The skin itself is well lined and full of character , the features are fabulous IMO .... the mouth which is full of teeth , the lowerlip protruding , the nose is bulbous and large with spots (of course) , he is grimmacing his eyes are small as a result , the eyelids are all there in perfect detail , the brow is furrowed , the ears are packed with details, having earrings in them ( 3 in the right , 1 in the left) ...........

Hairstyle is plaited with the best sidburns I have ever seen ..on an ogre , following the chin line and loking just like they should. big boy 019.jpg big boy 020.jpg

.......(y) GREAT stuff Chris(y)

There was absolutely no work needed before fitting this to the torso .

Continued in next post:

Nap

Attached Files:

5. Nap Moderator

England
    Lets put these 2 together now :

Fit is somewhat different to what we normally see in busts but it is pefect , dry fitting produced a faultless result with no space showing any need for filler of any amount ...I would probably pin as well when they are married together .

Everything joins and fits in all area's , I paid particular attention to the plaits but could find nothing to fil

Note I used blu tac to hold the pieces together for the pictures hence the slight gaps ..they are not there folks !!!!

Continued in next post:

Nap

big boy 024.jpg

Attached Files:

6. Nap Moderator

England
    Final thoughts on this " Orible Ogre"

This is a truely FUN piece and HIGHLY RECOMMENDED, sculpting is great packed full of details right down to the spots he has , full of character and lots of painting potential ...go wild with the skin colour and enjoy the freedom away from the constraints of uniforms ..and who is going to say its wrong ...have they ever met a Ogre .....I havent !!!

For more details and to see colour pictures of the box art at all angles go to www.tbforum.co.uk

There you can also order the bust at a reasonable price of £25 plus shipping , it is also available from:
    El Greco Miniatures (Phone: +44 (0)1280 840364)

Email: info@elgrecominiatures.co.uk

Home Page: http://www.elgrecominiatures.co.uk

Hopfully we shall see more fantasy work in this range perhaps from Chris again , TB range is a growing one full of interesting sculpts and well worth a look .(y)(y)

Nap
    Pepperpot likes this.
  7. Pepperpot Active Member

Germany
    Thank you for this review, the bust really seems to be a lot of fun to paint!
    Could you be so kind and give us some measurements? Ogres usually tend to be larger than humans, so I have no clue how large it is in 1:12.
  8. Wigdog Active Member

United-States
    Thanks for the review!
  9. Pepperpot Active Member

Germany
    Okay, I give up. I have tried to find some more informationon on the bust, but I can't find that ogre neither on the tbforum with "ogre" or the sculpters name as search-keyword, nor on the ElGreco-website. There I tried the "The Basement"-miniature line and the keyword search as well.
  10. RossM Active Member

Australia
    Sebastian,

Use this link.

Ross
  11. Pepperpot Active Member

Germany
    Wee, thanks a ton!