1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Officer of the GPU, USSR 1920's

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Diegoff, Feb 2, 2006.

1. Diegoff A Fixture

Spain
    Diego sent me photos of his latest project:

Hola Guy.
    I´m making a 75 mm figure for a collector.
    The subject is an officer of the GPU (Cheka) in the URSS in th 20´s. I´m going to send you photos of the process.
    First of all, this keen collector send me some photos illustrating details of the equipment, although it wasn´t unknown by me. Specially interesting are two photos of his own collection portraying one of such officers with some personnel.
    I begun with the basic elements of the anatomy that have prepared for this scale. Then I "played" with the anatomy to place it on the terrain. Then the fleshing out.
    For the face I thought inmediately in the role of Pasha Antipov played by Alec Guiness in the film "Doctor Zhivago". Got some photos of him and sculted it. In the end I wasn´t satisfied so carved away the face to start with the bare skull again.
    I will send you more photos later.
    Cheers
    Diego

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Beautiful work Diego.........love the likeness of Sir Alec.
  2. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Diego, Very nice. I love the arrogant pose of your figure, lots of attitude.~Gary (y)
  3. Radek Active Member

Poland
    Beautiful figure Diego. Can't wait to see more of it.
  4. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Diego - That's really, really nice! That pose and the head are just terrific! What a great and unusual subject, too.

All the best,
    Dan
  5. Roy New Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Diego...he's looking excellent, what a fabulous face..really looking forward to seeing the uniform take shape...

All the best...Roy.
  6. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Diego has emailed me some additional steps:

Hola Guy.
    I´m continuing with the sculpture.
    I put the belt with a plastic strip and modelled the gimnastiorka (shirt). At the same time I added some details, specially in the head.
    Then I put the cap on.
    There is little detail in the back of the figure because he is wearing a leather coat.
    I´m modelling the Mauser pistol with plastic.
    More photos next week.
    Best regards

Diego

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  7. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    [IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Thanks for the up-date Diego.
  8. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Diego continues with his Officer and sends photos of his progress.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Beautiful work Diego...........thanks for the photos.
  9. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Diego, Thanks for the update, that's very nice. He LOOKS Russian that's for sure.(y)~Gary
  10. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Looks like he's getting ready to say, "Comrade, the committee has some questions concerning your...recent conduct." Cool! Great subject and beautiful sculpting.

I was particularly interested in seeing how you would build-up the hat and lay out the very thin putty sheets for the coat. Looks like you actually sculpted a little more of the sides of the figure than you needed to given the way the coat is covering them up.

Thanks for letting us see the figure as a WIP. Great opportunity to learn from a true master!

All the best,
    Dan
  11. MAB Well-Known Member

Italy
    Hola Diego great beautiful job the appearance is much guessing
    compliments and good continuous.

;) MAB
  12. Diegoff A Fixture

Spain
    Thanks everybody for the comments.
    Gary, I´m happy because you are not the first person that think he looks russian :) . As a matter of fact is a composite between a photo of one of these officers and the face of a political comisar in the Spanish Civil War (not knowing his nationality).
    Dan, surely you know the sistem to make the thin putty sheets. I only make a pattern in paper like a help to cut the putty sheet later.
    The shoulders have been widened a bit because that of the original anatomy are a bit narrow to allow diferent positions for the arms.
    I´m finishing the sculpting now and the next photos will be of the figure ready to paint.

Diego
  13. mahross New Member

Diego - Another superb figure. Just a shame it is not going commercial. That is one very lucky collector.

Ross :)
  14. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Beautiful work Diego, me gusta mucha.

Cheers
    Roc. :)
  15. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Diego, I wasn't saying I didn't know how to make thin putty sheets or how to make a coat for that matter. But I am fascinated by the way each sculptor works, the order in which they sculpt a figure, how he or she approaches the figure problems, tricks they've found that aid them, etc. It's particularly helpful with this one that you've provided us so many photos of the figure at various stages.

All the best,
    Dan
  16. Diegoff A Fixture

Spain
    I didn´t understand you well.
    My english is not as good as I would like ;)

Diego