1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Officer of the Gatinais Regiment,Yorktown 1781

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by MarquisMini, Dec 3, 2011.

1. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    Following with my lifelong project of the French regiments durng the American Revolution,i have started this chap a couple of days back.
    This regiment wore the 1779 Regulation uniform at Yorktown.
    White coat,waistcoat,pants and gaiters with Violet or purple facings.
    A little history of this great regiment:
    The regiment had been stationed in the Caribbean since 1775 and a detachment went to America in 1779 with d'Estaing. The chasseur company in particular distinguished itself at Savannah, with most of its officers becoming casualties. The remainder of the regiment arrived in 1781 with Saint-Simon. The regiment again distinguished itself in the attack on Redoubt 9 at Yorktown, which the regiment's grenadiers captured with men from the Royal Deux-Points regiment. Washington expressed his admiration of and gratitude to the French units by presenting the two regiments with the cannon which they had captured from the redoubt.

The members of the Regiment du Gatinais were ashamed by losing the rank status of the Regiment d'Auvergne (almost based on order of creation). At Yorktown, prior the assault on the redoubts, they are claiming to Rochambeau "Rendez nous Auvergne!" ("Bring us back Auvergne"). That was absolutly impossible, disturbing the the regimental organisation (too much batalions), and even the Army organisation (jealousys for the status and the money by the others regiments commanders). After the courageous assault, the King himself pay them attention, and in 1783, the Regiment du Gatinais became "Royal-Auvergne", and as "Royal" regiment, overank the Regiment d'Auvergne

Attached Files:

Edorta likes this.
  2. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    First time i work with purple ,so i did some research and came up with my own version of it.
    There are numerous sources that state the facings of the Gatinais was describe as a blue hue,which may be a "violet-blue " shade.
    Here's my palette:
    white coat- Andrea white painting set.

Waistcoat and pants- Vallejo deck tan for base,white for lights and stone gray for shadows

Facings- Royal purple for the base,,bone white for lights and black for shadows.
    To make the pose more interesting,i built the arms from scratch with a combination of wire,green stuff and Magic sculp.

Attached Files:

sarouman, Edorta and billyturnip like this.
  3. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Good work on the white Daniel, not too white if you know what I mean, very believable and a nice history lesson. (y)

Roger.
  4. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina

Thanks Roger.
    at first i was not too impressed with the Andrea white paint set,but it's growing on me.
    I think that when i am done with the figure i will decide if i want to use that set or make my own "white".
    cheers
  5. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    I've only ever used the flesh set but from my experience it wasn't long before I started tinkering with it and adding different colours but it was a good grounding for the way I now paint flesh and I'm glad I bought it. I suspect you'll go the same way with the white set. :)

Roger.
  6. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    Lol,you've got that right.
    On the shadows,i had to add some German brown/black cause it was barely noticeable contrast.
  7. Edorta A Fixture

Spain
    Great start Daniel. In the book "Uniforms of the American Revolution" by Mollo and McGregor, there´s a plate with this uniform. Are you going to paint the breeches in black?

http://www.mininet.tv/egminiatures.html
  8. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    like what you have done so far.
    The white looks good.

marc
  9. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    No Edu,i will leave the troussers in white.
    I know few of the officers wore black/brown pant,but in this case i will leave it white.
    this is the first of 16 figures that are going to be in one of the 4 bases that i am preparing.
    One base will have this Gatinais regiment (16 figures),that base will also have 7 figures marching (possibly the Saintonge re),the other base will have the royal Deux-ponts and Soissonois,third base will have the royal Artillerie and some of the General staff.
    At first i was not going to do this project cause it take too much time,but i decided to go with it and doesn't matter how long it takes,i enjoying it every day.
  10. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    thanks Marc,not easy to find the time with family and work,but well worth it.
    Best regards
  11. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    :eek: You should be pretty good at white uniforms after all those Daniel. (y) Good luck with the project and keep us posted.

Roger.
  12. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    Takes a lot of practice to Master the "white" paint,but i am happy with my progress,still lot of learn.
    Good thing in this forum there are a lot of people always willing to advice and help.
    Best regards
  13. debrito A Fixture

Canada
    very nice Daniel.....(y)
  14. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    Thanks Rodrigo!!
    Best regards
  15. Jaybo Well-Known Member

United-States
    Well done Daniel. I love that subject as well...all too often neglected. I can't wait to see the Royal Deux-Ponts Regiment being done. It is one of my personal favorites with the sky blue and yellow combination. I also wondered how Auvergne became the Gatinais Regiment. By the way, is that figure scratch built, Historex, Models Alures???
  16. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    Jaybo,thanks for your kind words.
    this figure is a combination of:

Hat, build from scratch,i used the "skull" form a bad hat and basically build it myself to the shape it is.
    I can tell you that is one of my favourite items of the uniform.

Head: is form JMD,they have a 2 sets of heads and hands,they are 65mm but i think they fit well onthis 60mm figures.

Body: is from Modeles & allures (france),the uniform is based in the 1767 uniform,so i added a standing collar and very minor mods with magic sculp.

Legs: from Miniwelt (now vid soldiers,great company in Ukraine)
    Arms i build it from scratch,not the best but i am learning to sculpt a little bit more every attempt.

The Royal Deux-ponts is also one of my many favs in the French Army.
    Their uniforms to me are one of the most colorfull and neat ones.
    Feel free to go to my Vbech section,you will see the Royal DP i have completed.
    Best regards
  17. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    Forgot to mention,since this regiment wore white metal or silver buttons,the pockest were vertical rahter than horizontal,so i shaved them and added vertical pockets from Historex parts,also the Fleur-de-lys on the turnbacks are from historex.

Auvergne became Gatinais as a result of a reorganization on some of the regiments in the west indies,the regiment de Auvergne existed after the American revolution ,and this Regiment de Gatinais was granted the title "Royal Auvergne" by King Louis XVI dueto his bravery in America.
    Regards
  18. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    Here's some progress pics.
    I ade the hands and sword,added the ruffle shirt cuffs.
    I made the epaulettes out of greenstuff,and rolled a metal filer onto the greenstuff to create the epaulette pattern on them.
    The hands are from JMD,just resized to fit the arm and i came up with the pose i was looking for.
    have a nice sunday everyone.

Attached Files:

Edorta likes this.