1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Officer Naval Brigade 1879 (michael Roberts)

Discussion in 'Painting Techniques' started by Showlen, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Showlen Active Member

United-States
    Hello,

I recently received this wonderfully sculpted Michael Roberts miniature (100mm Officer Naval Brigade 1879) and I was hoping some of you might know where I could find additional pics of this painted figure, by Bob Knee, to see where to attach the scope and pouch etc. I did try searching here on PF to see if anyone else painted this figure.

Also, when working very thin wire, is it necessary to prime? I'm thinking so since the paint would probably come off eventually. I plan on shaping the wire around his neck to the holster, then remove to paint. I don't see any need to glue, except for the holster. I'd appreciate any suggestions on past experiences with thin wire.

Thank you for your help!

Ron

Officer Naval Brigade.JPG
  2. MCPWilk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    This is a splendid figure, however he needs a 'full set'. Royal Navy personnel wore beards, moustaches alone were not permitted. The face would do wonderfully for an army officer of the same period. His rank braid is incorrect, the lace should come from the front, not the back:
    http://www.hobbyswoodmilitaria.co.uk/royal-navy-officers-shoulder-rank-tabs-ref-4466-4877-p.asp. The top rank slide is for the left, the lower is for the right.

I would fix the revolver lanyard in place, then prime the whole figure.

Best wishes,

Mike
    Richie likes this.
  3. Mirofsoft A Fixture

Belgium
  4. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Ron,
    I agree with Mike's great advice above. Can you send a couple of photo's of the parts in question as I am not familiar with this kit. We then might be able to help you place the parts.
    cheers
    Richie
  5. MCPWilk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I do think this is a splendid figure of a neglected service. David Grieve did a very nice version in 65mm (e.g. http://www.treefrogtreasures.com/forum/showthread.php?29261-Grieve-80mm-Figures). Interestingly both the Michael Roberts and David Grieve figures are wearing single breasted tunics, rather than the double breasted 'monkey' or reefer jacket.This might be a local issue tunic, or common practice.

I am hoping to sculpt/convert a couple of Naval Officers in Shore Party/attached roles in 120/150mm over the next year or so.

I shall look forward to seeing you post the completed figure in due course.

happy modelling,

Mike
  6. Showlen Active Member

United-States
    Thank you for all the input! Despite the historical inaccuracies, the sculpt and casting in my opinion is as good as it gets. It sounds like this kit would be a great candidate for a conversion, but I'm not a sculptor (wish I was :)). I'm still going to proceed with the painting and will post progress.

As far as the revolver lanyard, I'm not going to try and glue to the figure since the wire is so thin. I'll figure something out and will prime the figure with the lanyard attached. I'll also post pics of the figure and its parts to get your suggestions on where to place. I was surprised that the kit didn't come with additional pics to show how everything is to fit (for us newbies).

Thanks again for the help... I greatly appreciate it!

Ron
  7. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    What reference(s) describe this practice? ~Gary
  8. IronMike A Fixture

So it was either a full beard or nothing at all?
  9. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Gary,
    The practise still exists even today in dress regulations.
    http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/News-and-Events/Latest-News/2012/December/05/121205-Culdrose-Movember

In the midst of this crisis, when the future of the Irish Church was hanging in the balance, Victoria's attention was drawn to another proposed reform. It was suggested that the sailors in the Navy should henceforward be allowed to wear beards. "Has Mr. Childers ascertained anything on the subject of the beards?" the Queen wrote anxiously to the First Lord of the Admiralty. On the whole, Her Majesty was in favour of the change. "Her own personal feeling," she wrote, "would be for the beards without the moustaches, as the latter have rather a soldierlike appearance; but then the object in view would not be obtained, viz. to prevent the necessity of shaving. Therefore it had better be as proposed, the entire beard, only it should be kept short and very clean." After thinking over the question for another week, the Queen wrote a final letter. She wished, she said, "to make one additional observation respecting the beards, viz. that on no account should moustaches be allowed without beards. That must be clearly understood."

Hi Mike,
    Yes a beard or nothing for sailors.

The army were different of course and I presume regulations prior to the 1899 orders were the same.

From The Queen's Regulations and Orders for the Army 1899
    "660. The following directions are to be observed by all ranks. The hair of the head is to be kept short. The upper lip is not to be shaved, and the chin and under-lip are to be shaved. Whiskers, if worn, are to be of moderate length. On active service, at the discretion of the general officer commanding, beards may be worn."
    cheers
    Richie
  10. MCPWilk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    The best way to make a revolver/pistol lanyard is to use three strands of thin electric flex and twist them into a 'rope'. Thin fuse or solder wire can be used in the same manner.

Good luck,

Mike
  11. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Ron/Mike,
    I have some reference pictures of the Naval Brigade both colour and black and white photograph's if you would like me to post them for reference for your projects.
    cheers
    Richie
  12. MCPWilk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Please do.

Mike
  13. IronMike A Fixture

Good info. Thanks
  14. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Lads,
    Here's what I have I hope they are of some use.
    cheers
    Richie

The first lot is the 1858 pattern Naval cutlass bayonet.
    454-British-1858P-Naval-Cutlass-Bayonet-1.jpg 454-British-1858P-Naval-Cutlass-Bayonet-2.jpg 454-British-1858P-Naval-Cutlass-Bayonet-3.jpg 454-British-1858P-Naval-Cutlass-Bayonet-4.jpg 2510463522.jpg 2834681227.jpg 3023535383.jpg 6033040560.jpg

HMS Shah.jpg naval brigade bronze.jpg Naval Brigade uniforms.jpg Petty Officer Naval Brigade 1881.jpg Sailor_HMS_Boadicea.jpg Sailors_Boadicea_&_Shah.jpg Sailors_HMS_Active.jpg Sailors_HMS_Shah_(1).jpg Sailors_HMS_Shah_(2).jpg Sailors_HMS_Shah_(3).jpg Sailors_HMS_Tenedos_(1).jpg Sailors_HMS_Tenedos_(2).jpg Sailors_HMS_Tenedos_(3).jpg View attachment 117044
  15. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Lads,
    A few more.
    cheers
    Richie
    Gatling Guns in the Zulu War_page 2.jpg hodgson_john_evan-portrait_of_a_blue_jacket_from_the_na~OMe3c300~10157_20091103_5916_293.jpg naval brigade.jpg Naval Brigade1.jpg NavalBrigade_FirstBoer_lowres.jpg NavalBrigade_Sudan_lowres.jpg Navel Brigade Officer.jpg Royal Navay Officer, Naval Brigade.jpg
    Wings5797 likes this.
  16. Helm A Fixture

England
    Ah that famous phrase " The hair of the head is to be kept short." Heard it many times Excellent references Richie (y) Ron if you want instead of an official primer you can use marine varnish on the wire it has a degree of flex to it,then paint that which ever colour you require you may have to "prime" it with a matt enamel for some acrylics others will go straight onto the varnish

Steve
    Wings5797 likes this.
  17. MCPWilk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Many thanks for the references.

Mike
  18. Showlen Active Member

United-States
    Richie - Thank you very much for the vast references... they will be very helpful!

Mike- Thank you for the suggestion on the lanyard! I managed to pick up some very thin wire and like the rope look with three strands twisted, versus what came with the kit! This is also much easier to work w/.

Steve- Many thanks for your suggestion regarding the priming of the lanyard!

Thanks again for all the help, I do appreciate it! (y)

-Ron
  19. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Ron,
    Here is an old MM article about a conversion into a Naval Brigade officer, the original figure is now supplied by www.djparkins.com/acatalog/Firing_Line.html
    Might be of some use.
    cheers
    Richie
    CIMG5496.JPG CIMG5497.JPG
  20. MCPWilk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Very nice conversion.

Mike