1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Officer "Empress Dragoon" 1815

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Tim Stevens, Jun 15, 2015.

1. Tim Stevens Member

England
    Good evening,

Never seem to pluck up enough courage to post on the site despite visiting nearly every day to learn and find inspiration.

This is one that I picked up at Euro last year and felt it was time to share.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

This has been painted with a combination of Vallejo and Jo Sonja's acrylics. The green is pretty much completed. Red and white are works in progress the rest is essentially base coated.

Currently held together with blu tack just to see how it looks and would welcome any comments or observations.

Tim
    Redcap, Lasalle, Sag997 and 19 others like this.
  2. Mike Stevens PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Welcome to the board. Looks like a super nice start. Nice clean sharp painting.
  3. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Could you post your reference illustrations?

Lovely greens and reds!!

All the best,
    Dan
  4. Tim Stevens Member

England
    Mike,

Thanks. Never been one to paint outside the lines, a throw back to painting by numbers! ;)

Dan,

Reference illustrations - apart from the painting guide as supplied (in word, not pictures) I have used L & F Funcken's book Arms & Uniforms, The Napoleonic Wars part 2 and a picture, picked up a long time ago, which hangs on the wall outside my mancave. If I can, will try and copy for posting. Need to ask though, is there something wrong? If so let me know, after all that is the way to learn.

Tim
  5. Piotrec Active Member

United-States
    The green is outstanding!
  6. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Tim - I'm not a painter and I'm a bit color-blind. OK - so my wife says - a LOT color-blind. I'm also unfamiliar with Napoleonic uniforms - not my period of interest. I find posting the references helps the viewers understand the uniforms, weapons and equipment and review the model. That's why you'll normally see me put at least one reference photo or illustration on all my figure posts - sometimes lots more.

All the best,
    Dan
  7. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Great start!!!

Like Mike said, very crisp clean brush work. I gotta say that is one helluva solid green... a very difficult colour to work with. Well done!

I'm not familiar with this fig... who's is it and what's the scale? It looks like a big 'un.

Look forward to seeing your progress on this... welcome aboard, you needn't have waited so long to post.

Colin
  8. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Tim ,

Nice work mate and well done for posting theWIP , great subject and sculpt .....

Colin ...this is from CGS image.jpg

How are you finding the JS Acrylics Tim?

Looking forward to seeing more

Nap
    Lasalle likes this.
  9. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Hi Tim
    I'm not sure what you mean about plucking up the courage to post on here,that is a beautiful piece of work,having seen this piece of work I'd like to see more of your stuff,congrztulations
    Viking Bob likes this.
  10. Mat Lambert A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Very nice start Tim. Agree that green looks great. Look forward to seeing more progress.
    Cheers
    Mat
  11. Tonton Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Tim, you don’t need to pluck up courage to show work of this standard… it’s very good. Looking forward to seeing the finished figure.

Jeff
  12. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Extremeley good start.

Marc
    danscot likes this.
  13. danscot New Member

Scotland
    Very well painted

Dan
  14. Tim Stevens Member

England
    Good evening,

Piotrec, Colin, Smudger, Mat, Jeff, Marc & Dan -

Thanks for the comments \ support. I will try to take a little more confidence from your postings and, hopefully, post a lot more in the future.

Nap,

Thanks for the mention of CGS and posting the recent box art picture. Only one other question to answer - it's a 200mm "bust"

In answer to your question regarding "JS" acrylics. I love them. The pigment is nice and fine and the colour nice and strong. The green is JS Hookers Green and was applied in multiple thin glazes untill I reached the desired density. Highs are Hookers Green with JS Light Yellow, which blended very nicely. Red is JS Napthol Red Light also applied in thin glazes and still very much a WIP. Personally I would recommend all to try them. They may not be to everyones taste, but they certainly have helped me to push the envelope so to speak.

Dan,

References - thanks for clarifying your post. Thought I might of made a c--k up! Unable at present to find a way of uploading a PDF file of my reference, so lets call it another WIP.

More soon,

Tim
    napoleonpeart likes this.
  15. Claude Portsmouth Active Member

Nice work Tim -look forward to seeing this one completed.

Claude
  16. MCPWilk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Excellent so far.

Mike
  17. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Very nice progress, keep posting.
    Regards
    Bob
  18. Edorta A Fixture

Spain
  19. mick3272 A Fixture

The more I look at this one the more I fancy doing a bust. Great work keep it going you may convert a figure man to a bust man. ( No pun intended.);)

Mick
  20. Tim Stevens Member

England
    Good evening,

Thank's for the input one and all.

Small update time. Arms on and detail work started, some base coated others close to finish.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Excuse the shinny look - sun was out - not as glossy in real life!

All comments welcome, and more soon.

Tim