1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Officer 5 th Hussars

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by moskowa, Nov 13, 2011.

1. Jaybo Well-Known Member

United-States
    The first portrait is that of Colonel Schwartz whose signature I failed to obtain a couple of years ago. The fact that the Colonel of the regiment had it during this period does not mean other officers and other ranks had it as well in my opinion. I'll stand by Petard/Rousselot for at least the early Empire period (of which Schwartz was Colonel during this time). My figure is from the 1806 'Brigade Infernale' period.
  2. simone New Member

Italy
    Documentation (by Coucelle, Rigo', Knotel/Elting, Bucquoy etc.) of 5 rows:

5 CdE 1813  by Knotel:Elting.jpg

5 Hussards 1810 by RIGO'.jpg

5 Officer by JOANEAU.jpg

5 Hussards officer 1807 by Bucquoy.jpg

Col 5° ussari by Girbal.jpg

5  Stettino by Courcelle.jpg
  3. Jaybo Well-Known Member

United-States
    One further note, the blue as depicted in those portraits is 'in dispute'.....but as I alluded to earlier, that is an ancillary topic.
  4. Steve Well-Known Member

United-States
    Wonderful discussion.
  5. simone New Member

Italy
    Another odd thing about the hussars of 5 °, this photo taken at the Museum of Salon en Provence (France) shows many things not covered in reglament, for example.....the chapka (hat) or the white uniform in Nankeen...........so I think that it 'hard to have certainty in that period:

uniformes.1807-1809.jpg
  6. Edorta A Fixture

Spain
  7. Paul20100 A Fixture

France
    This 1812 5th hussar captain from l'Emperi (which I know by heart, being 45mn drive from my home) is quite exceptional because almost all elements are authentic.

Another famous example is the dolman of capitaine Epinat, from the Paris Army Museum:

[IMG]

The blue itself has been irreversibly altered by the years.
  8. Edorta A Fixture

Spain
    Hi Paul, thank you very much for sharing. This tone of blue seems a little bit darker than in the planches we know from Rigo or Rousselot. Maybe this is the correct tone, "blue ciel foncé".

http://www.mininet.tv/egminiatures.html
  9. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Paul that is a fantastic picture of the jacket, do you have any other gems like this one, perhaps Grenadiers A Cheval De le Garde Imperiale
    I know there is lots of info on this regiment but pictures like that are a gold mine

Ron
  10. Paul20100 A Fixture

France
  11. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
  12. Jaybo Well-Known Member

United-States
    I too love this discussion. Are any of you old enough to remember "Days of the Empire" by 'Talisman' in the old Bob Bard 'Milihistriot' publication from the late '50s-'60's? Talisman was my father which explains my francophile tendencies....especially concerning the Premier Empire. OK, it appears that I have been correctly and duly admonished as to the subject that 5eme hussards had five rows of buttons in the post-1809 period (three prior per Maitres Petard & Rousselot). Pas de problem mes amis.....

Since I hinted at the next issue concerning the shade of 'deep sky blue'.....please feel free to check out this blog I found a year or so ago (in French): www.lesapn.forumactif.fr/t5069-le-5-eme-hussard.

Even if you can't read French the photos explain the tale. I used to think the correct shade was essentially 'sky blue' as depicted in the majority of secondary sources (I have ALL of those shown above-no surprises). After having read the above discussion I tend to believe that the 'correct shade' was actually considerably darker than is generally thought.

One, however, cannot be too dogmatic on the subject of color shades as was pointed out to me by the late, great Colonel John Elting years ago. Because of the very transitory nature of vegetable-based dyes, one can never be quite certain. We in the 20th...21st cenury are used to stay-fast dyes which are chemically based. They didn't exist during le Petit Corporal's time. I'll never forget how the French dealt with Dragoon green as Col. Elting informed me........But that is another discussion. I personally wish that some 'expert' in France could research the entire uniform dying issue of the period.

The main point, it is a beautiful figure and I wish you all the best towards its completion. Alas, I haven't touched on mine for nearly a year. Oh, I do look forward to retirement!:)
  13. Steve Well-Known Member

United-States
    I have to say again what a wonderful discussion this is, between people who understand the history of what they work on. Concerning accuracy, I always am reminded of a favorite saying of a figure and history friend who is no longer with us, basically "never say never" regarding pre-20th c. uniform colors. For the exact reasons stated above. Yeah, the item was blue, but was it exactly like we always see it done? Thanks gentlemen.--
  14. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    I really like this discussion.
    Gives more information then we ever had??? At least I had.
    So, give more links for the napoleontics.:whistle:

marc