1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Odds and ends

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by garyjd, Jun 17, 2004.

1. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    :)

Jason
  2. fsdesimone Member

Man, I'm so impressed with the way you guys make weapons. It looks like it has the potential for serious frustration - pieces snapping off all over and such. Maybe I'm just very heavy-handed though... I'm always breaking pieces off my figures accidentally!
  3. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Jason, I know it's about time I got my butt to work on this.

Francesca, There are those moments believe me. Maybe one day I'll post a COMPLETE sbs with everyhing good and bad that happens when building weapons and equipment.~Gary
  4. fsdesimone Member

I mean the other day I took out that Fisherman bust I'd completed a while ago (but still haven't painted) to look at and I knocked him over and broke his hat. I break things even when I'm not working on them! :(
  5. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Here is where the Austrian "Lorenz" musket is at in it's construction.

After the superglue dries the excess plastic is trimmed away and the stock will now be "blocked in".

Attached Files:

6. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Here is the stock being worked into the final shape.

Attached Files:

7. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Here is where the M1854 Austrian Lorenz rifled musket is in it's construction. Sorry for the terrible picture.

Attached Files:

8. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    This picture shows the trademark "cheek piece" the rifle had.

Attached Files:

9. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Fast forward to the latest "odds and ends". I'm building 2 Hardee hats (1858 Dress hat) that will be used for another product line. The head is not mind just one I'm using for scale. the other hat will have the one side pinned up.~Gary

Attached Files:

10. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Another view of the hat. The adornments will be added after completion of the second "hat blank".

Attached Files:

11. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Last one.

Attached Files:

12. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Here's the second hat with the left side of the brim pinned up. Now I'll go in an add the ornamentations to both.

Sorry, the pics are a bit crappy.

Attached Files:

13. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Here'a the hat blu tac'd onto a metal head. The head could have been ground down a bit more, but it should work.

Attached Files:

14. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Gary,

At the end the sbs on sculpting is amazing. I enjoyed it very much. Now that is coming to an end i wonder how i must sculpt hands.
    I know you said that it comes when the time is there, but untill now i've
    didn't seen it.
    So please do the SBS on handsculpting...........

Marc
  15. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Marc, The sbs is far from complete. I had/have an update for the sbs figure, but unfortunately I'm unable to post images to Pf. I always make sure my pictures fall within the required size, and if not I use the Pf image crucher. I've done both of these things and still cannot post images. I sent an E-mail to Guy, so I'll hopefully hear something today. Hang in there.~Gary
  16. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Thanks Gary,

So there is more to come. Great. Loving it.

Marc
  17. MikkoH Member

Finland
    Very inspiring Gary! Thanks for sharing. I really liked that swedish musket. To what fig it came?

Cheers Mikko
  18. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Mikko, thank you. The Swedish musket is actually a conversion of a 120mm "Brown Bess" I built a few years back. In addition to the musket a scratchbuilt head and tricorn hat were also made as a favor for someone, and were to be used on a scratchbuilt figure. The project has never been completed to the best of my knowledge.~Gary
  19. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Gary - This SBS is a tremendous wealth of info and technique for me! This is exactly the kind of stuff I need! All the "odds and ends" are beautifully and skillfully done! ;) :)

All the best,
    Dan
  20. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Dan, Thanks. I'll be adding more to the "odds and ends" thread, but I'll probably do a part 2 so it's closer to the top of my Vbench stuff. When you start to get a build up of threads things get a little lost in shuffle. The Iron Brigade hats (M1858 Dress Hat "Hardee") was not much of an sbs, just thought I'd show a little side job I'm doing.~Gary