1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Odds and ends

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by garyjd, Jun 17, 2004.

1. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    After the putty cured further I took the sides of the brim and folded them up to the crown to the desired shape.

Attached Files:

2. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    After the brim was completely dry I removed it from the working surface. If you look at the picture you can just make out the outline of the crown from when I pushed it down onto the brim. This is excess putty can be easily removed from the remaider of the brim revealing the inside of the hat.

Attached Files:

3. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Here the excess has been removed. As you can see there is a bit of cleaning up to do in addition to sanding down the edge of the brim to give it a more scale thickness. While the edge will be thin, the rest will be thick enough to support it.

Attached Files:

4. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    That is brilliant Gary!
  5. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Great sbs Gary! Thanks.
  6. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Gary, my friend,I really enjoyed your step by step,I learned a lot from it. (y) (y)

You'll make a sculpter out of me yet. ;)

Cheers.

Roc.
  7. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Jason & Roc glad you like the sbs and find it helpful.~Gary
  8. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Here is the completed tricorn after sanding the edges down to a scale thickness. I have since "beat up" the hat by carving in some creases, a hole and small tear to give it that campaign look.

Attached Files:

9. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Just for kicks I placed the hat on the "ramrod" figure, and it fit the head well, even though it was not designed for the figure.

Attached Files:

10. LCoote New Member

Australia
    That's great stuff as always Gary!!!
  11. thegoodsgt Active Member

United-States
    Thanks for showing us that process, Gary. You're a rare breed -- part artist, part engineer!
  12. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Looking great Gary!

Any good F&I War events your way? Perhaps some good photo-ops for future subjects.
  13. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey Gary!

The tricorn is looking great! It also fits the marine head very well, you must have some really good consistency with your heads!
  14. JP PRAJOUX Member

Hi Gary,
    As always your SBS is very intersesting and the result is great. :)
    I have a question. How do you make the crown stick to the blob. Do you use super glue or a little bit of magic sculp. I ask that because I have problems gluing cured Magic sculp.
    Thanks
    Bye and "bravo" again
    Jean-Philippe
  15. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Jean-Philippe, When I push the crown of the hat (the blob) into the brim (rolled out putty sheet) I did put some superglue where the two meet each other. Once the putty is cured you could also add a small amount of putty to further seal up the gap.

Anders, Thanks it fits well. I am now sculpting the hand that will be holding the tricorn, more pics to follow.

Jason, Thanks, There are quite a few events in the Western half of Pennsylvania alone. There is one down state the weekend of the 4th, unfortunately I'm unable to go, to bad, it's gonna be a good one. There is another towards the end of July at Fort Niagara in New York state that I plan on going to with camera in hand. I do have some F & I War related things I'd like to pursue with some of them possibly being 2-D work. Much more later.

Steven & Leigh, Thanks for the kind words.~Gary
  16. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    Gary,EXCELLENT SBS,my friend (y) (y) !! Now I'll know how to go about making a tricorn should I need one for my next F&I project(found a couple of interesting prints that set me thinking....hmmm).Cheers !
    Kenneth ;)
  17. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    I sketched this with a ballpoint pen at the timeclock while waiting to leave work one day this week. The F&I War anniversary has my blood up a bit to do some things from the period once the bench gets cleared (mostly). It will also help justify the mountain of information and references I've collected over the years. It's a period that screams to be done correctly. Thought I'd share this as it helps to get the wheels turning.

Jason, I just love the Leon Phelps avatar.

Attached Files:

18. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Gary,

You know my thoughts on this. ;)

Joe
  19. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    You are super tallented when it comes to both drawing and sculpting.

Great sketch!
  20. PeteC Member

Hey Gary,
    Nice work as ever! I tried your Tri-corne method the other day and it worked out nicely. I used for a 75mm Ethan Allen piece I'm working on. I'll try to post some pic's soon.

Pete