1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Odds and ends

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by garyjd, Jun 17, 2004.

1. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Gary!

Looking great!

As for how to measure the powder...easy...just do a scale powder horn with a measuring tip on the end!
  2. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Gary,

As always, (y) (y)

Joe
  3. y_wong New Member

Hey Gary, always enjoy you posting, Great sculpting and looking to more from you.

regards :)
  4. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    A little more on the 120mm head I'm doing that has a bit of refining yet to be done. I do not care for the upper eyelids, so I'll tweek those a bit.

Attached Files:

5. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Another view. As I want to allow the head to be properly positioned when placed on the figure this will be paired up with, I've left a fair amount of the hair off.

Attached Files:

6. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Gary,

That is absolutely beautiful!!
  7. Alex M. Active Member

Canada
    Gary,

That heads fantastic ! it's really shaping up nicely...

-Alex
  8. LCoote New Member

Australia
    Hey Gary, you must be in the zone ;) that's another great looking head, really love the way you've done the hair
  9. Larry R New Member

Gary, your work never ceases to amaze me. You are one talented dude. Keep up the great work.

Larry
  10. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Guys, Thanks a lot. I've been very slow to get things rolling as I went out of town this past weekend. Maybe I'll get more done today.

Anders, Glad you like it.~Gary
  11. fsdesimone Member

You know Gary, he kinda looks like Marlon Brando with them the way they are. Cool sculpt.
  12. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Francesca, Thanks for the kind words.

The next part(s) of odds and ends will continue with more work on the weapons and an sbs on scratchbuilding a 120mm tricorn hat.~Gary
  13. callum Member

Splendid work Gary. I always find making weapons quite enjoyably challenging, the worst part being finding the line drawings you mention. Any websites or publications you know of would be most welcome. I know lots of sculptors like you use plastic card for their weapons work but I favour milliput over a metal base as I at some point will harden the piece in an 'oven' to quicken the curing process and the plastic card seems to melt.

The head in this thread does indeed look like Mr Brando.

Regards Callum
  14. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Callum, Thank you very much. I have a couple of books that are illustrated with line drawings of hundreds of muskets rifles and pistols.

United States Military small arms 1816-1865
    By Robert M. Reilly

United States Martial flintlocks
    By Robert M. Reilly

The other books that I have contain photos of weapons that I just scale down on my scanner/copier.~Gary
  15. callum Member

Thanks Gary, I'll look those two out. :lol:

Regards, Callum.
  16. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    120mm tricorn hat This is the hat that will go with the 120mm head and converted musket. The techniques are those used in Mike Blank's new book, though I've made hats in a similiar manner before. I normally would start by putting a thin layer of vaseline on the bald top half of a head and applying a blob of putty to form the rough crown. This hat was made differently as the sculped head was not complete and I wanted to get started. I took a blob of Sculpey and and pushed a template for a 1/2" circle over it. I made it inro the shape of a crown and then baked it.

Attached Files:

17. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    I then coated the baked sculpey crown form with vaseline and pushed a blob of Magicsculpt over this, after which I took my spatula like tool and flattened the sides so it would not have a "bowl shape" to it.

Attached Files:

18. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    After the Magicsculpt cure I went in and sanded the crown with scotchbrite and fine sandpaper.

Attached Files:

19. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    I then popped the form off of the wooden base it was on and began sandind the base of the crown to a more scale thickness. When I was somewhat satisfied I had to remove the sculpey "core" with some of my tools as I could not pop it out. I encountered a little cracking and fracturing of the sides that I repaired with superglue.

Attached Files:

20. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    After cleaning up the crown I rolled out a sheet of magicsculpt on a floor tile with wax paper fixed to it. Once the putty began to cure I embedded it into the sheet. I then placed a circle template over this and selected a diameter that would give me a little extra brim to work with.

Attached Files: