Odds and ends

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by garyjd, Jun 17, 2004.

1. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    I'll use this thread for when I'm doing weapons and equipment, or when I'm just sculpting part of a figure like a head, or anything else that does not need a lengthy thread.

First up is a 75mm Brown Bess musket. I'm curently working on all of the musket furniture like the buttplate. After the glue dries I'll trim the plastic and then build up the remainder in putty.

Attached Files:

2. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Close up.

Attached Files:

3. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    This next musket is a conversion of a 120mm Brown Bess I did a while back into a M1696 Swedish musket.

The first musket is a raw uncleaned copy of the Bess, the second is the one undergoing modification. I still have some cosmetic work to do on it to make a passable version of the Swedish musket. Before you ask, yes the trigger guard on this thing is butt ugly. Considering I started this thing in the morning (on vacation) it's progressing quickly, but not as quick as the client I'm doing it for. I'll also be doing a head, roughed in hands, tricorn and possibly a bayonet to go with the project.

Attached Files:

4. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Here's a close up.

Attached Files:

5. Pete_H New Member

Dude, you're my hero! (y)
  6. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Beautiful Gary!
  7. Edson Member

Mexico
    Looks perfect!!! man, you have the "Holy Hands for the Sculping Quest" lol :lol: :lol:

BTW what means odds and ends??, I can´t find the meaning on my english book!!

Cheers
    Ed.
  8. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Ed, Basically it means a little of this a little of that, small projects covering everything from weapons to equipment that is not for a specific figure. I like to make some weapons every now and again for future use if not improve my weapons modelling.~Gary
  9. quang Active Member

Belgium
    I'm 100+% with you, Calvin. :lol: :lol:

Gary, hats off! (y)

Q.
  10. Patrick Kirk New Member

Gary,
    Everytime I see your work, I see your passion for your art...you are freaking amazing my friend...hope all is well...
    ;)

All the best
    Patrick
  11. Mongo Mel Active Member

United-States
    Gary,
    Those look wonderful. I admire your scuplting abilities.
    Looking forward to seeing more.
    Thanks for posting these.
    Craig
  12. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Guys, I really appreciate the kind words, thank you. I never considered myself a model maker and stayed as far away from building weapons as much as possible. That attitude really limits figure choices so I just worked at. It's gets frustrating at times but is rewarding when something works out. More sbs's on the way.~Gary
  13. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Excellent work, Gary, beautifully sculpted and deatailed.

Keep up the great work.

Roc :)
  14. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Roc, Thanks, this site has been my greatest motivation not only to work on things but to improve on each new project.~Gary

Here is a shot of the roughed in head that will accompany the Swedish musket. In the end I hope it depicts the face of a tired and war weary Swedish soldier from the Great Northern War. Right now I'm concentrating on the overall face and will work and refine the face even more.

Attached Files:

15. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Niiiiiice!

Looking forward to see this one develop Gary!
  16. thegoodsgt Active Member

United-States
    Yea, nice work at first glance, but does the trigger move back and forth?

Huh? Huh? I'll bet not!!!

;)
  17. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Anders thanks, I think it's coming along so far.

Steven, Sure it does, but proper ammunition is very hard to find. I have to roll out the musket balls myself.~Gary
  18. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    A little more refining.

Attached Files:

19. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Looking GREAT Gary............are you gonna do an sbs on rolling out the musket balls? :lol:
  20. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Guy, Thanks. Yes I am going to do one on musket balls although I'm still trying to figure out how I'm gonna measure the powder.~Gary