1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Oakwood Studios - "Broken Bread" Roman Legionary 75mm

Discussion in 'Figure News' started by Babelfish, Aug 8, 2019.

1. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    New release from Oakwood Studios called "Broken Bread"

75mm resin & white metal

Sculptor & box artist Adam McMaster

Price: £35.00

Oakwood Roman (1).jpg Oakwood Roman (2).jpg Oakwood Roman (3).jpg Oakwood Roman (4).jpg Oakwood Roman (5).jpg

Roman legionary (approx. 1st to early 2nd century AD) on the campaign trail but in a relaxed pose, leaning against a tree trunk and handing a piece of bread to an unseen comrade during a break in their long march.

The majority of the kit is resin, but the six parts of his personal gear at bottom right in my photo of the unassembled kit are cast in white metal.

Not being an "expert" on the subject, I'll leave any "historical accuracy" debate to others. Suffice to say that the sculpting and casting are both excellent, and having now removed the casting plugs from the main components I can confirm that their fit is likewise excellent. However, the mating surfaces at the shoulders are flat, so some might prefer to pin these for extra stability.

The cape slots beautifully over his shoulders, and with that in place the figure slots perfectly into place against the tree trunk. Going by my dry fits, I don't anticipate having to use any filler at all anywhere on this one.

The casting plugs on the elbows are a tad clunky, and the one on the back of the helmet needs a bit of care during removal. But on my example there are no visible seam lines or air bubbles, and clean-up promises to be minimal.

Richard cast 10 of these initially to test the water, and I picked up one of them in July. I understand that this initial batch has now all been sold and that a second casting run is in the offing (if not already completed).

Anyone wanting one of these, drop Richard an e-mail to

Richard@Oakwood-Studios.co.uk

Or you can contact him via the Oakwood Studios page on Facebook.

- Steve
    peedee, arkangelo, Redcap and 9 others like this.
  2. HansDig A Fixture

Netherlands
    Great piece !! Love it. Great paintwork too.
    As for the "historical accuracy"....we've discussed that a long time ago
    https://www.planetfigure.com/thread...ical-accuracy-to-you.78495/page-6#post-992299
    No need to start over again although, reading the Stanislav-post looking at the profile of the perfect English writing German Karl who just entered the forum I couldn't help wondering if a little green hopper is visiting us again......(n)
    Babelfish and harrytheheid like this.
  3. JasonB Moderator

United-States
    Nice boots...:cool:
    harrytheheid likes this.
  4. harrytheheid A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Shield looks just a tad....massive. Well err, very wide I mean.
    At least it's curved. So that's okay.
    It's a figure that would look good in a display cabinet.
    :)
    Helm and JasonB like this.
  5. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Shield's fine Harry, I've compared it against six other 75mm Roman "scutum" shields on other figures (Pegaso and Mercury) and it's actually one of the smallest.

But looking at that third photo, I can see why you thought so because that pic does make it look enormous.

- Steve
    Helm likes this.
  6. harrytheheid A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Tongue may have been firmly inserted in cheek....:angelic:
  7. TERRYSOMME1916 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Nice pose and casting seems to be very good, hopefully another one or 2 Romans will be added to produce a interesting we group.
    TERRY
    Babelfish likes this.
  8. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Steve

Thanks for sharing this , nice to see Richard delving into carrying a line , hope it's a success for him

Hope we see more from both Oakwood and Adam ...perhaps even a bust ?

Look forward to seeing your version

Happy benchtime

Nap
    Babelfish likes this.
  9. Reptor A Fixture

Japan
    This is a very beautiful news! The paint and the sculpt is just perfect ! Thank for this ;) (y)
    Babelfish likes this.
  10. Barrie Harris Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Saw this figure at our club meeting last month . Nicely done , looks great painted up.
    Not my period in time ,but a must for all you Romans out there.(y)

Barrie(Newbee)
  11. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    That's a beauty.

marc