1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed [NSFW]Moona - Pegaso 80mm

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by redhorse, Apr 5, 2011.

1. redhorse Active Member

United-States
    Here's my version of Pegaso's Moona. I did this one in oils and I really enjoyed painting the figure. I do really like the added touch they gave with the owl. I'm not completely pleased with the results, though. Red and black seem very difficult to paint. Although, from what I'm reading here at PF, I'm not the only one who finds this to be the case, just most of you guys seem to pull it off better than me.

Attached Files:

2. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Re: Moona - Pegaso 80mm

I don't know how she lands in those heels.
    Another nice clean paint job James,
    Carl.
    gordy likes this.
  3. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands

very nice.

marc
  4. rheath Active Member

South-Africa

Very nicely painted - but not my "era".lol
  5. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States

Lovely work James (y)
  6. redhorse Active Member

United-States
    Thanks everyone! You guys are cracking me up with your comments!
  7. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    James great painting of the fleshtones and a very neat finish.

Cheers Ken
  8. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    James,
    Another great little pinup.
    Cheers
    John
  9. Joseph Brubaker New Member

United-States
    Sweet,Oh to be born a "Broom Stick",great painting on this one thanks for posting..............Joseph
  10. Meehan34 A Fixture

United-States
    it might be the oils, but the shadows and highlights seem to be on the very low side. Besides that I love the skin tones. This is gonna look great on the rack..I mean shelf.
  11. redhorse Active Member

United-States
    Thanks everyone for stopping by, I appreciate all the comments!

I don't think it's the oils, Mike. The shadows and highlights are on the low side, but it gives me something to improve on and keep painting!
    Meehan34 likes this.
  12. alexwencho Active Member

United-States
    "works for me"
  13. Michael Tse Active Member

HongKong
    This looks every bit the work of a master, and the subtle variation in flesh tone is particularly admirable given the well intended exaggerations of the sculpted female form.

May I venture some kind of control over the flash light so that the pictures could allow a better understanding of how the red and black parts are handled here, so that aspired amateurs (me) could all learn a thing or two?

For thirty quid each, I am a proud collector of three girl kits off Pegaso's 80mm series. In hind sight this should have been one of those. What a beautiful owl!
  14. Glen Active Member

United-States
    Well done from head to toe!

What's your camera setup? Tripod? Ambient, flash, or defused light?

Cheers,

Glen
  15. redhorse Active Member

United-States
    Thanks Glen, Michael & Alex!

Here's the story on the pics - I recently bought a new Canon 60D. I'm having fun with it, but it's a lot more complicated than my old point and shoot. I took it camping last weekend and got some very nice outdoor shots, but the closeups are more difficult as I don't have a macro lens. So instead of that, I put it on a tripod and then zoom in to get close to the figure and use the smallest aperture I can in order to get some depth of field. I used a light tent for these with the overhead on and a desk lamp from the side as well. I shot these in RAW and then had to convert to jpg and shrink them down in order to upload them to the site.

If I get some some time tonight, I'll take some more of this fig and some other ones I want to post. I'm going to try without the desk lamp from the side and try shooting just in jpg at the smallest file size. Practice makes perfect (I hope!).
  16. redhorse Active Member

United-States
    I took a few more pictures tonight with a white background and no side light. I think the lighting in the first ones is more dramatic, but these are probably clearer. Not sure which ones are better though...

Attached Files:

17. Glen Active Member

United-States
    Try a gray background. 18% gray from a camera store or a medium gray poster paper from a craft store (Michael's, Hobby Lobby, etc). Unless you can spot meter, the camera is reading much of the black or white background and overexposing or underexposing the figure. You might try using two sidelights as well; they will cancel each other's cast shadows.

I made a light box from a cardboard box and vellum on the sides and top. I light the figure from the sides, top, and front, using daylight bulbs and the proper white balance setting on the camera and shoot off a tripod. I use the macro setting for small figures - 30mm gaming minis - and the zoom function for larger figures.

I put flats on a scanner - no muss, no fuss.

Cheers,

Glen